Ax15 bellhouse knocking when cold? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ax15 bellhouse knocking when cold?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ax15 bellhouse knocking when cold?

Posted this in the drivetrain section too but no bites yet so...

Like the title says

I have a 1999 Tj with a 4.0/Ax15 with 160 K on it. There is a distinctive knock coming from the bell housing that is worse when its cold and goes away after several minutes of driving. It varies with engine speed and stays constant with rpm whether clutch is in or out, or trans is in or out of gear.

Note... this is definitely coming from the bell housing not the oil pan. It sounds like a rod bearing and I thought it was one. I was about to pull the pan off today when I listened to it again and determined it is definitely not from the engine.

After it is driven for a few minutes the knock goes away completely and it runs like a champ. Any suggestions as to what this might be? Thanks!
ytowntj is online now Report Post

ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ax15 , knocking , cold , bellhousing , help

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.