AX-15 transmission problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX-15 transmission problems

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Anthen27
1999 TJ Wrangler 

AX-15 transmission problems

I have owned my 5 speed (AX-15) 6cyl 99' TJ since new, I use it to commute to Manhattan every day (about 26 miles each way) she has 141,000 miles on it now, anyway the other day coming home from work the tranny started to give me trouble shifting (slight grind downshifting from 4 to 3) and them got progressivly worse gringing between gears as I drove home. By the time I got off the parkway at my exit when I would decelerate in 5th I would get a nasty vibration that felt like my driveshaft u jonts were bad. I thought maybe the fluid is low? I went to the autoparts store and picked up 3 quarts of penzoil 75/90 synchromesh and drained the old fluid (slightly low fluid level, no water or metal chunks) and refilled it, same exact problem of course, I get under the jeep no leaks, u joints look good, mounts seem intact, clutch pedal has not moved engagement position (clutch master/slave seem fine) so my guess is the AX-15 tranny has worn synchros and bearings and needs to be rebuilt. So local tranny shops quoted me about $2000-$2500 for replacing my tranny with a rebuilt AX-15 unit and new aftermarket clutch. Or another option is I go to autozone/advance auto and buy a rebuilt AX-15 unit for $1100 after tax and my old tranny core, buy a LUK clutch for another $150 or so and spend a weekend on my back in the driveway. I was leaning tword doing the job myself, a few years back I did a AX-5/231 from a 99' TJ wrangler into my buddies 93' YJ wrangler due to the 5th gear circlip problem during the dead of winter in the driveway, so I can do the job but it would be hard for me on my back in the driveway, I go on craigslist/ebay to look for used/rebuilt AX-15 trannies and find a guy Tim in Pennsylvania, he has a buisness called JEEP TRANSMISSION REPAIR SERVICE - rebuilt transmissions with quality OEM Mopar parts and after speaking to him he can rebuild my tranny with OEM parts for a very reasonable price, so I bring my jeep to him, nursed it in 4th gear on RT80 (210 miles away) he quoted me $250 for AX-15 basic rebuild kit which includes scnchros/bearings, gaskets and seals (mopar parts) and $250 labor to rebuild the tranny, $350 to remove re-install the tranny, $150 for a new LUK cutch kit and $50 for oils/shop supplies so for $1050 I was getting a full rebuild and new clutch on my AX-15 tranny which seemed very reasoble to me. That was last Saturday when I dropped it off, so Tuesday I get a call from Tim, turns out after a test drive I have some grinding in the drivetrain that is NOT my tranny, after pulling my rear end apart (D-35) it seems I need new spider gears in the rear and of course bearings and seals, he first thought it was axle bearings (common problem) but the spider gears are totally shot. so I tell him to go ahead and replace the spider gears and rebuild the D-35 rear end, then he calls me on Wednesday that my tranny also needs 5th gear and the mating cluster gear and some other hard parts that were worn beyond limits and that would be an additional cost, Thursday I get a call that my 231 tranfer case needs a chain and new seals also, So now I am up to $1765 plus oils and supplies......Do you guys think this sounds right? Has anyone used Tim in PA from Jeeptransmissions.com? $1765 still seems reasonable to rebuild the D-35 and the AX-15 with OEM parts, cut flywheel and LUK clutch kit, chain and seals for the 231, grind and paint rust under tranny skidplate etc.......any opinions?.........

Anthen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd go ahead and do it since you probably owe him quite a bit for all the tearing down to check it out.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Anthen27
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i guess i will have him do the job, but i wanted to know if the prices sound right and if anyone had and experience with tim from jeeptransmisions?
Anthen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
JohnL48
1967 CJ5 

Did you ever find what the issue was with the transmission? my 98 tj is doing the exact same thing with downshifting from 4th to 3rd and 5th making a noise.
my trans. is actually a rebuilt trans I purchased from Jeep Transmissions you are referring to. This guy is a crook. I got the trans from him, put it in and it popped out of third gear. Took the trans out and sent it back to him at my expense, put it in and the trans. grinded slightly going into 2nd. At this point $ 750.00 for the trans. $ 150.00 for shipping both ways which he refused to pay for and taking the tranny out twice i just gave up and lived with it. 2 yrs later i'm having big problems with it.

I know this is an old post but anyone reading this stay away from http://www.jeeptransmissions.com/

He's a thief
JohnL48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grind , grinding , ax 15 , ax-15 , ax15 , tranny , transmission , problem , help , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.