AX-15 rebuild issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX-15 rebuild issues

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
darren2569
2002 TJ Wrangler 

AX-15 rebuild issues

So, I just rebuild the AX15 for my wifes TJ. I got it all back together but it seems to be stuck in gear. The shifter is in the neutral position but it is definitely in gear. With some effort I got th e shifter into 5th at which point I cant turn either shaft. Move the shifter back to neutral and I can turn it but its in gear.

I know I put all the detent balls and plugs back in but I noticed looking at the FSM it looks like the 1-2 and 3-4 plugs are different sizes but theres no mention of them being different. I also dont remember them looking any different but then I didnt compare them either.

Anyone know if the plugs are different or do I have another issue? It did shift into each gear just fine before i put the case back together but i was also just moving the shift forks by hand.

Unread 06-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The detent balls are all the same, that's not your issue.

The issue you may be having is the synchros there are 3 different types, 2 are smaller and the other 3 are all about the same size. The problem is that 2 of the larger ones are the same, but one is different (5th gear) it goes on the outside of the main case. If you get it mixed up with the others it will cause your transmission to lock into a gear and act similarly to what you're describing.

You might also have the shift forks out of place, or you might have one of the shift rings turned around, can't remember off the top of my head if they're symmetrical front to back or if they're directional.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
darren2569
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was very careful to match the old and new syncro rings to make sure I got the right ones in the right places. The one shift ring I know is the right way round but the other I wasnt sure but it didnt look like it mattered. Looks like I'm tearing it apart again. At least I know what to look at. Thanks
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you put the dowel that guides the shift mechanism in backwards? The one that slides in from the rear and is retained by the hex plug?

When I rebuilt my AX-15 I remember having this issue at first, and I had installed that dowel backwards on reassembly. I flipped it and all was well.

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
darren2569
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well, Seems i didnt seat the one bearing all the way on the shaft which was causing it to bind up when it was all back together

Explains the extra clip I found on the bench. Now its all back together it shifts great

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.