AX-15 4th Gear Only - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AX-15 4th Gear Only

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
pointblanke

AX-15 4th Gear Only

I was driving home from work last night when my transmission stopped working. I was on the interstated doing about 70 in 5th when power stopped going to the wheels. No other problems were noted and everything was working fine up until then. The only gear that worked was 4th. I was able to nurse it home. I'm assuming I'll need some significant repairs, but wanted to see if there's anything to be looking for. Thanks!

Unread 07-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Probably wore the teeth off the input gear. (4th is 1:1 straight through and uses no gears.)
Not uncommon when you run large tires with too tall gearing or have a habit of lugging the engine, especially with a work truck that tows a lot.

Andddddd.... I found this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/on...placed-821016/
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

I had this happen in my Mazda B4000 and it was a bad clutch. Doing about 70 with the cruise control on, the RPMs rev'd high. I put the clutch in to change gears and it went to the floor with no resistance. Were you able to use your clutch to change gears from 5th to 4th? Dont know if its the same issue, but it sounds similar.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If he could nurse it home with only 4th gear, clutch has to be good...
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tranny , transmission , ax15 , ax-15 , broke , broken

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.