aw4 swap cost? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > aw4 swap cost?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
billbanshee

aw4 swap cost?

anyone on here keep track of total cost involved? i hate shifting!!!!!!!!!!!!

warn 9000i
billbanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Rubiman805
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The swap will run you about $800.

Iím currently working on getting all the parts to do a swap on my 04 TJ.
Iím having a hard time finding the 98-01 AW4 transmission.
I already have everything else. Good luck with your swap!!!

Here is a link you can check out.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4/aw-4-1.htm
Rubiman805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
rhovater
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just did a swap in my TJ. I went from a 2.5L and AX5 to a 4.0 and AW4 out of a 2000 Cherokee sport. I spent more money on the engine part of the swap than the AW4. It was more time consuming than anything, making the harness and all. It was not that expensive for me. BUT I did not have to get different drive shafts. X2 on Stu's page.
rhovater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbanshee View Post
anyone on here keep track of total cost involved? i hate shifting!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will have to find your own costs after you add them up.

2 driveshafts modified and balanced, scrounged from for sale sections, or purchased new.

All the little bits add up as well if you don't get them with the trans-

Flex plate bolts x 6
Flex plate
Shifter from a 32RH with cable and floor plate
Shift indicator
Trans mount of some kind
Wire and connectors for making the harness
Bolts to attach bellhousing to engine if they aren't ALL included.
Drill jig from someone if you don't have access to one to drill the back of the AW-4 to clock it for the TJ.

All of that is assuming that you get the torque converter, TCM, dipstick, NSS, and the black and gray plugs to make the harness with when you buy the trans.
Unread 11-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
rhovater
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I got some of my parts at the local salvage yard...tube filler, shifter and cable. (40 BUCKS) I used my manual shift boot in stead of the PRND21. My transfer case came with my tranny and engine so I got lucky there too. TCM off of Ebay for 25 and it came with the pig tail too. My dad is a welder so we were able to modify my skid plate to mount the AW4 to it. 8 qts of tranny fluid at 5.99 a pop..ouch. I did not use a cooler, just because I am not going trailing for a while but will be a mod later on. I just ran hoses through the radiator. Big thanks to MrBlaine for help with my ECU.
Unread 11-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhovater View Post
I got some of my parts at the local salvage yard...tube filler, shifter and cable. (40 BUCKS) I used my manual shift boot in stead of the PRND21. My transfer case came with my tranny and engine so I got lucky there too. TCM off of Ebay for 25 and it came with the pig tail too. My dad is a welder so we were able to modify my skid plate to mount the AW4 to it. 8 qts of tranny fluid at 5.99 a pop..ouch. I did not use a cooler, just because I am not going trailing for a while but will be a mod later on. I just ran hoses through the radiator. Big thanks to MrBlaine for help with my ECU.
Before you get too comfy about not having a cooler, install a temp gauge. You'll have a cooler sooner than later if you have any hills.
Unread 11-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
maztj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

is this a common swap? i would think a 700r4 would be better. i know the xj guys talk about the aw4 not haveing seperate 1st and 2nd. This is interesting me cause my tranny just went in my tj!!!!
maztj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztj View Post
is this a common swap? i would think a 700r4 would be better. i know the xj guys talk about the aw4 not haveing seperate 1st and 2nd. This is interesting me cause my tranny just went in my tj!!!!
Yes, it is starting to become a more common swap.

The stall speed on the 700r4 isn't right for the 4.0 in the TJ.

On the AW4, if you put the shifter in "1-2", it will hold 1st gear until around 4500 rpms. There are a couple of aftermarket shifters for it that allow it to stay in 1st gear indefinitely, but they aren't needed.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztj View Post
I know a few folks that did the 700R4 swap. They own more different stall speed torque converters than should be legal, the adapters are very expensive as in if you pay retail, more than enough will be spent to get all the parts in general for the AW-4 swap. They are also a bit snivelly over how hot they run.
Unread 11-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
rhovater
2000 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14506085]Before you get too comfy about not having a cooler, install a temp gauge. You'll have a cooler sooner than later if you have any hills.[/QUOTE

Not too hilly here in NC. Id like to do the cooler set up that Stu did on his. I just need to save the cash. I have only had it on the road a week now. So far I like the set up. Of course I went from a 4 banger, but it shifts smooth.
Unread 11-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

So what is the current state of the art on getting the AW4's lockup torque converter to lock/unlock automatically without the usual check engine light? I know many don't bother trying to make it work automatically and just wire a flip-switch so they can lock/unlock the AW4's torque converter but that's a PITA if the Jeep is also driven on the street much.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
rhovater
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here comes a wrench.....
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
So what is the current state of the art on getting the AW4's lockup torque converter to lock/unlock automatically without the usual check engine light? I know many don't bother trying to make it work automatically and just wire a flip-switch so they can lock/unlock the AW4's torque converter but that's a PITA if the Jeep is also driven on the street much.
Nothing to it at all. No check engine light if you swap in a manual PCM and leave the stand-alone TCM that the AW-4 needs intact and interfaced correctly.
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
rhovater
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I checked my codes a couple of times and I've been good. Except for o2 sensors...tranny has been good to go.
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
mike481
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Before you get too comfy about not having a cooler, install a temp gauge. You'll have a cooler sooner than later if you have any hills.
I did a cooler and temp gauge when I did the swap. At the time I was living in South Dakota and the temp rarely got to 175 even in the black hills. Now that I'm back in southern California I see the temp difference and could not be happier I put in the temp gauge and cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Nothing to it at all. No check engine light if you swap in a manual PCM and leave the stand-alone TCM that the AW-4 needs intact and interfaced correctly.
Mine works great and no CELs.

RIP 4-14-2012
mike481 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.