average cost of a new clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > average cost of a new clutch

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
alex71
2001 TJ Wrangler 

average cost of a new clutch

I need to know the average cost on the install of a clutch including everything from labor to the cost in parts. I think mine is going fast.

Vote for TJOFTY!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...18/index9.html
alex71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
BlackJeephunter
1998 TJ Wrangler 

about 700 around here. Mine was more because I had them crack open the tranny and inspect the syncros and such.

Maybe more maybe less, the shop that did mine is the best in town and I am happy. Labor will kill you on this job.
Palmetto Tree Stickered Black Jeep Owners Club, Hunting Chapter Member #1110010
BlackJeephunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJeephunter
Labor will kill you on this job.
Yep it about killed me a few months ago when I replaced my TJ's clutch. I've done my last Wrangler clutch job.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
BlackJeephunter
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That is the reason I took it to the shop. I would have taken a LOOOONNNNG time to finish the job. The shop had my heep back in less than 24 hours, with a warranty. If I did the work the warranty would be on me. Ouch. Most other stuff except for heavy metal drive train work I do myself.
Palmetto Tree Stickered Black Jeep Owners Club, Hunting Chapter Member #1110010
BlackJeephunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
Unscathed
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Yep it about killed me a few months ago when I replaced my TJ's clutch. I've done my last Wrangler clutch job.

Jerry: How long did it take you to do? what were the biggest headaches you had?

The owner of Alljeep.com, Wayne Hartwig will work within your budget!!! He is very informative to anyone not knowing much about axle work and will meet or beat any competitor's advertised price on any specific product delivered to your door - even if he sells at cost!
Unscathed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
KINGZ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm new to jeep, but is it realy that hard to do it yourself. Iv done a compleate clutch jobs on 87 & 94 camaros, a 98 neon, a 94 astro van, and a few more. I wouldent think it would be hard on the jeep, I mean the camaros was a good 6-8 hour job to do, but they are just a cramp Pain.

well then again, I realy have not look that close at my jeep trany yet, so I could be missing something they might make it one pain in the *****
KINGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I've done it on '70 Z-28, but these cars don't have the transfer case and skid pads, not to mention the after-market engine skid I have on... so I can imagine it's a lot of work. I would pay 700$ for parts and labor.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
pianissimo357
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've not replaced a clutch myself, but I found a write-up for a '97 TJ clutch replacement while trying to figure out if I was up to the task of replacing my own. Seems to be a bit over my own head, but then I'm not a mechanic by even the loosest definition of the word.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/clutch.html

Last edited by pianissimo357; 06-07-2007 at 09:15 PM..
pianissimo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
KINGZ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm no where near a Mechanic, the only things I can do is a break job, clutch, I built a few 350s, and some misc jobs on my toys, but I was luck, I got a friend who does all this just as a hobby so over the past few years I'v learned alot. I'd say though $700 seems close to a fair price, Just make sure the mechanic dont use a crap clutch kit, or talk you into a clutch thats way more than you need. Iv seen friends go to a shop with mustangs only pushing +350hp and they talk them into a stage 5 clutch that is useless for such lower hp.

Dont forget to break in your clutch!!!!! unless you want chunks of it laying in your dust shield. lol

PS, just saw the link up there, thats a tad more work for a clutch, WOW. take it to the jeep shop, if you dont know what your are doing that could take you a few days.
KINGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
ColoradoTJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

I replaced the clutch in my first YJ and in my 66 Mustang. The Mustang was cake but the Jeep was a long involved process that I will not repeat again. It's been 10 years since I did the two of them I still cringe at the thought.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #60

My Jeep

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane" J.B.
ColoradoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unscathed
Jerry: How long did it take you to do? what were the biggest headaches you had?
I didn't have a lot of help so mine took me two long days. No real major headaches, there's just a lot to remove and unbolt to finally get the transmission out. Unlike a car where the transmission is "right there" and fairly easy to get out and a clutch job isn't that bad, the Jeep's tranny also has a transfer case and linkage that has to be removed, plus my Rubicon Exprss skidplate isn't as easy to remove and replace as the factory skidplate is. For a young stud it isn't a huge job but it's definitely a big step up in difficulty when compared to the same job on a rwd car.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #12
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

When my tranny died July 2006 the labor to remove it and install it was about $350. At that time it was 90*F+ & 99% humidity for the entire month. I have to do all my work outside on jack stands so the labor cost was well worth it. All the clutches I have done in the past were either in the winter, indoors, on a lift and were rear wheel drive only. Piece of cake that way.

Were I work they no longer have the air conditioned garage with the lift.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.