Automatic shifting like a noob is driving a stick. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Automatic shifting like a noob is driving a stick.

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
marbear
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Automatic shifting like a noob is driving a stick.

I have an automatic 2006 wrangler x with a little over 60,000 miles and no mods. I've had the transmission serviced, a reprogram done and spark plugs replaced.
My jeep started jerking (about two months ago) all the time when it would shift from 1st to 2nd gear, I took it to a transmission shop and they reprogramed. It worked fine for about two days before it started jerking again. I took it to the dealership and they hooked it up and and no codes showed up. They serviced the transmission, I got better gas mileage but its still jerking from not only 1st to 2nd gear and occasionally from 2nd to 3rd. The hardest/roughest jerking is when the jeep is "cold" and also when it is shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Like the title of the post states, its shifting as if a person who is new to driving a stick is driving and hasn't gotten the clutch to gas ratio "balanced" The dealership hasn't been able to "reproduce" the jerking when it shifts so they have about a dozen or so possibilities of what it could be.
I obviously don't know what it could be (partly because this is the first time a vehicle has done this type of behavior, I know very basic things about vehicle maintaince, and third because I'm a female. ) and the dealership has a bunch of different possiblities like I stated before. Any input or ideas of what it could be would be appreciated because its summertime and I'd only like to worry about getting caught with my top down in the random southern summer storms! Thanks again!

marbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
marbear
2006 TJ Wrangler 

just bumping so maybe someone will see this that might be able to answer. Hope it doesnt make anyone annoyed.
Unread 06-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbear View Post
...and third because I'm a female. )
^^ lame excuse Don't sell yourself short.

Have they flushed the tranny at all?

Welcome to the forum!
Unread 06-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
marbear
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I don't even know. The dealership is trying not to do anything that could cost me a small fortune, since I'm a broke college kid, although the mechanic said he has had to replaced 4 of the same model transissions since January of this year.
Unread 06-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well that's nice of them lol. A flush shouldn't cost a small fortune....not super cheap either though.
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Is your TPS in good shape?
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
marbear
2006 TJ Wrangler 

yeah..lol.Thanks though because now we're just doing the regular 60,000 mile maintenance to see if it'll fix the problem somehow (since it needs to be done anyway). They think it might be electrical but aren't sure since they can't reproduce the jerking or get any codes. But I'm gonna question them and ill get back and let ya know.
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
marbear
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well talked to them and they flushed the tranny when they serviced the transmission. So I figure I'm SOL for now.
Unread 06-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
marbear
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well had the dealership look at my TPS and they said it looked okay. The jeep still hasn't had any codes show up and since it's been 80+ degrees the past few weeks and 100+ today( I live in South Carolina) the jeep hasn't jerked when it's been shifting gears. Probably will end up getting my boyfriend to switch the TPS out for a new one.Gonna be taking it up to the mountains within the next few weeks to see if the problem comes back, in the cooler weather after he replaces it to see if that's the problem.
Unread 06-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbear View Post
Well had the dealership look at my TPS and they said it looked okay. The jeep still hasn't had any codes show up and since it's been 80+ degrees the past few weeks and 100+ today( I live in South Carolina) the jeep hasn't jerked when it's been shifting gears. Probably will end up getting my boyfriend to switch the TPS out for a new one.Gonna be taking it up to the mountains within the next few weeks to see if the problem comes back, in the cooler weather after he replaces it to see if that's the problem.
I've had two Jeeps with that tranny and no problems with 65,000 miles on the older one.I ran 35's and kept the OD off all the time.Most people have tranny problems and have to rebuild them with low mileage and the 42RLE.The computer makes the shift points.That's why I bought a 98' with much better 32RH auto tranny and no OD.I can adjust the bands to fix some shifting problems.

p.s. The TPS is nothing like the tranny not shifting right.It's all in the rpms and not the shift points.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice help , maintenance , repair , unknown , wrangler tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.