Automatic Rubicon - Trail-ability in 4-low - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Automatic Rubicon - Trail-ability in 4-low

Smittybilt Rear XRC Atlas Bumper & Trailjack!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-15-2015, 05:53 AM   #1
JeepingNet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Automatic Rubicon - Trail-ability in 4-low

I have an concern/question.. I'm looking for my next project Jeep and have found a 2005 Rubicon Tj Automatic that might fit our build.

I had a 2005 Rubicon 6 Speed and often on the trail I'd be in 4-low - 3rd gear for the easier sections. I loved just setting the gear and not hitting the gas just let the Jeep do its thing. That got me thinking how well does the rubicon auto crawl in 4-low 2nd gear would I find it too slow? Are you always on the gas?

Any rubicon automatic owners find this a problem?

JeepingNet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #2
ksk1480
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't found it a problem as of yet, however I am planning on a re-gear here soon to 5.13's.
ksk1480 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #3
LJ Dave
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I rock crawl on mountain trails in Colorado with mine all the time and it works great.
Unread 04-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I find the automatic far superior for crawling in all models although I don't crawl my automatic Rubicon much. The only issue for me is that the automatic transmission does not really like to be under water and, durability is an issue. As for the technique, I think the automatic is always superior unless one has installed hand controls.
Unread 04-15-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 5speed, and haven't done much crawling yet (too much work to be wheeling since I got it), but part of me wished I had held out for an automatic. I really wanted an auto, but when this rubicon came along for the price it did, I felt I couldn't pass it up "Hoping" something better came along.
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 08:04 AM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingNet View Post
I loved just setting the gear and not hitting the gas just let the Jeep do its thing.
Are you a farmer up there in Canadia?
Unread 04-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The best thing one can do if you have a manual tans is convert to an automatic. Of course its much less expensive to buy an auto in the first place. You should hear the raves from guys that did the conversion. They are able to do obstacles with the auto that they could not do with the stick. A 4:1 low is the way to overcome the lack of engine braking with the auto. Otherwise a brake upgrade is advisable.
PW
pwmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #8
JeepingNet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Are you a farmer up there in Canadia?
Tree farmer.. does that count?

With snow wheeling often the best approach is let the Jeep do the work. Set the gear and get off the gas. In the summer we have 1-2 hours of old logging roads to get into the trails.

From this weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbugDd4wU0A

Everyone thanks for the replies.. Water does concern me.. In a few weeks from now we'll have a lot of water on the trails. I might pass on the Rubicon and just go fulltime lockers. Then eventually do a 300 swap or atlas.
Unread 04-17-2015, 07:01 AM   #9
Airstreamer67
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The auto tranny should have a vent tube to prevent water from getting inside, just like the standard. However, the standard has a clutch, which can be damaged by water and silt. So, is not the auto in water at least as good as a standard, without the clutch exposure?
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #10
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
The auto tranny should have a vent tube to prevent water from getting inside, just like the standard. However, the standard has a clutch, which can be damaged by water and silt. So, is not the auto in water at least as good as a standard, without the clutch exposure?
no problems with the auto in water as long as the breather tube and dipstick tube dont get completely submerged. that is as long as the seals are good
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #11
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The breather vent for the auto trans is tied to the dipstick tube about and inch below the top, so you should be good there, unless you plan on submarining it. Lol

The vent for the T-Case, however, may be laying on top of the transmission somewhere. That's where I found mine and a few others. Check it. I used a double hose barb, two hose clamps, and a piece of fuel grade hose and extended it so it is up next to the trans vent.

I never understood why T-Case vents were so low when everything else was so high.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #12
JeepingNet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Went to look at the Jeep and it wasn't even a real rubicon.. Owner doesn't believe me but it has a dana 35, np231 and no lockers. I was still interested but not for the price she was asking.. couldn't get her to budge since she still thinks it is a Rubicon.

Has the rockers, hood sticker and rims..
Unread 04-17-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepingNet View Post
Went to look at the Jeep and it wasn't even a real rubicon.. Owner doesn't believe me but it has a dana 35, np231 and no lockers. I was still interested but not for the price she was asking.. couldn't get her to budge since she still thinks it is a Rubicon.

Has the rockers, hood sticker and rims..
thats a shame, i wonder how much she got screwed out of
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.