Auto transmissions Noises - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Auto transmissions Noises

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
JESSETHELJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Auto transmissions Noises

I was getting the most horrible noise when I put the Jeep in reverse, sounded like grinding gears. So I checked the fluid levels and it was really low filled it up to the correct level and the nasty noise has gone away. So now when I'm in Park and I shift to say Reverse I hear this noise like fluid moving a through the valves its really loud. Ive been doing a lot of wheeling the last 2 weeks a lot of water

Should I just drain the transmission and refill.Or should I do a Full transmission flush or should I try to drain all the fluids out and refill it?

Currie Anti rock, Trail gear bumpers, Rokmen tummy tuck with Eng skid, Genright Rockers
Smitty Bult XRC 10k winch
JESSETHELJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Echoman
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Flush! ASAP! Do not drive it or it will cost you! If you have water in your tranny it will destroy it. Good luck!
Unread 05-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
jeffyp06
2006 WK 

like a clicking noise? almost like a solenoid going off?
jeffyp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it might be well worth dropping the trans pan and seeing if you have fileings or discolored contaminated fluid.
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think I'd take a chance if the water it has been was very deep. I'd drop the pan and see what the ATF looks like. If it looks like a strawberry milkshake, it may be too late since water disolves the glue that holds the clutch disks in place. At that point, the best thing you can try is to have a complete ATF flush & replace.

If the ATF doesn't look like a strawberry milkshake, make sure the ATF level is correct and the fluid isn't burned. The correct way to check the ATF level is to get the engine up to normal operating temperature, shift though all the gears, then leave it in Neutral with the engine running and the parking brake set while you check the ATF level.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 06:55 AM   #6
JESSETHELJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply's guys, ya that noise sounds like a solenoid going bad.
I haven't driven the jeep nor plan on driving it. Only fluid I have seen is
the fluid on the dip stick, it looked normal, but im still gonna drop and change
the filter. I think i remembered something about not using aftermarket filters
i should just use Mopar correct?
Currie Anti rock, Trail gear bumpers, Rokmen tummy tuck with Eng skid, Genright Rockers
Unread 05-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
nwquadriders
2004 LJ Wrangler 

How many miles are on it? Have you done any transmission services??? At almost 60K miles exactly on mine the Solenoid Valve Pack went out and it made some god-awful noises.
'04 Solar Yellow Wrangler Unlimited: 3.5" RE Superflex w/ RE Monotube shocks, 33x10.5 BFG MT's, Warn XD9000i winch, Jeeperman Trail Skids & Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier with 1/4 Panel Guards. Skid row engine skid.

NW Quadriders ATV Club
nwquadriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
JESSETHELJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwquadriders View Post
How many miles are on it? Have you done any transmission services??? At almost 60K miles exactly on mine the Solenoid Valve Pack went out and it made some god-awful noises.
lol its and 04 with 42k. How hard is it to replace the Solenoid valve pack?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.