Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Auto transmission shift problems

3K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  Knuckelhead 
#1 ·
Okay, so I have a 2002 wrangler 3 speed auto. I've been messing with the transmission because the shift shaft seal was leaking. In order to change this you have to pull the valve body and pop the seal out and re install everything. My jeep shifted perfect before this seal was replaced. I replaced the seal put it all back together and filled it with 3.5 quarts of ATF+4. I started the Jeep and let it idle in neutral while checking the levels. When the level was in the good range I put it into reverse. It immediately kicked in and was "tight" for about 15 seconds. Then I felt it come out of gear or start slipping. Then a couple seconds later it kicked back into reverse. Then I put it in drive. Same thing goes into drive for about 3 to 5 Seconds and kicks out. I tried to give it some gas and it just revs up. When I give it gas when it's in gear it's jumpy/bumpy/Jerky type feeling then it kicks out. Before this tranny was fine. Shifted great drove great. No problems. Now it's just an automatic pos... any help or knowledge would be great. Thanks everyone.

#7 ·
What these guys said - flush and filter change. And with automatic transmissions - there is *no shame* in taking it to a transmission shop when you find yourself outside your comfort zone.
Not a flush, but rather a simple fluid replacement. Flushing is ok if it's been done on a regular basis. Otherwise, flushing can create problems. It a very simple process that only takes maybe 15 minutes to do yourself.

#8 ·
I didn't know a full service was a flush and filter. In that case I have serviced it. I did a flush and filter about a month ago. Three weeks after that is when my shift shaft seal started leaking. So I had to drop the valve body to replace it. Put it all back together and new fluid and now nothings the same.

#9 ·
I didn't know a full service was a flush and filter. In that case I have serviced it. I did a flush and filter about a month ago. Three weeks after that is when my shift shaft seal started leaking. So I had to drop the valve body to replace it. Put it all back together and new fluid and now nothings the same.
Please describe this. Did you take it into a shop where they hooked it up to a machine to flush out all the old transmission fluid?

#10 ·
No, I pulled the pan let it drain and replaced the filter new gasket and refilled. Shifted great for 3 weeks and then formed a bad leak from the shift shaft. Pulled it all back out. This time included the valve body. Replaced the seal and put it all back together. Topped it again with atf+4. This time no go. It goes into which ever gear I place it in only now slips and "bounces" as it tries to go. It slips out then few seconds later slips right back in. I called the local transmission shop and he thinks the new fluid has "cleaned" up the transmission and causing it to slip. I found a working transmission in a local junk yard for 300 bucks. Only reason I'm getting it that cheap is because I practically keep the guy in business. Ha ha. Is it worth buying that one and using it or trying to fix this one?

#11 ·
The pan only holds 3 quarts. There is about 9 more in the torque converter. so you only replaced 1/3rd of the total amount of ATF in the system. But, since it did shift great for 3 weeks after the fact, replacing all the ATF may not matter. I never heard of replacing the fluid cleaned the system to the point that it causes it to slip. It's possible you need to adjust the bands since the problem started when you removed the valve body, that's where I'd start looking at. Maybe something didn't get put back in right.

#13 ·
Not a fluid age or maintenance issue , If the fluid type and level is good-This sounds like you messed something up on re-assembly- remember it was working fine before. I be willing to venture that you either cut a seal on the accumulator piston or lost a spring. Drop the pan again and re-start. did you touch the pressure regulator screw? were you following the FSM or USM?
Don't start adding other problems to it by adjusting this and that- fix what was messed up in the repair.
Your "tranny" shop comment baffles me. Did you tell them what you did?
Did you touch any of the pressure regulator or adjustment screws- hopefully you didn't venture into separating the VB? If your not up to it, you can always tow it to a trans shop or dealer that regularly works on this transmission. Won't take more than a couple units to figure out what went wrong.

#17 ·
If the fluid type and level is good.
I'm embarrassed to say. My fluid wasn't good. I thought I topped it off but I didn't. This morning I checked it to be sure and it was bone dry.
However, I'm now very happy to say that I added 3 more quarts to the actual level it's supposed to be and it drives and shifts like a dream now!! :2thumbsup: I've checked and rechecked the fluid level and it's right where it should be. Thanks for everyone's help and sorry that I waisted everyone's time. I should've made sure.. In my defense though, I thought I did. Lol

#14 ·
I "touched" all over the valve body trying to put it back in. I didn't take a screw driver to anything. I only lowered the valve body. That is it. The accumulator piston is the plastic piece with the two springs right? One spring large and small the other long and skinny? I did notice a slice in the ring around the cup. But it had two of them. Both had the same angled slice. It wasn't really a seal. It was hard plastic type ring around it. I didn't see a seal on it.

#16 ·
That's right - those are Teflon sealing rings...they are spit for easy replacement/installation. Just trying to figure out what could have gone wrong... usually held in place by trans assembly gel for easy install of VB.... all was torqued? filter on tight...?
The accumulator is what "softens" the shift by Adjusting pressure/volume ...just seems like it isn't moving bassed on your description ..that or a fluid pressure leak .can't see much else that could have messed up.

#20 ·
Thanks for the info on the change of fluid. I don't know if the previous owner ever did that to the jeep. Will it mess anything up replacing all of the fluid like that? I've heard that it can do more harm than good to a transmission that's never been properly serviced.
That is not true. What kills the transmission is not servicing it at all. Another problem is when a shop hooks up one of those flush machines to service it. That will cause harm to the transmission, but only if it has not been serviced on a regular basis. However, the flush machine is okay to use if done on a regular basis. The method I posted is the safest and easiest way to replace the fluid no matter what method was used with previous fluid changes. I replace all the fluid in my transmission this way once a year and I also have an external filter added so I no longer need to drop the pan to replace the internal filter. I can do a filter and fluid change in a matter of minutes. :thumbsup:

#21 ·
That's actually a really good idea. I really like that. I've always wanted better filtration. I don't mud my jeep at all. I believe it's more harm that fun. But I do drive it at the coast a lot and occasionally through a Creek or two on the trail. Nothing too deep. Inches below the bottom of the jeep. I know it's good to change the fluids after doing that ever so often. Would it be beneficial for me to have an external filter like that?

#22 ·
That's actually a really good idea. I really like that. I've always wanted better filtration. I don't mud my jeep at all. I believe it's more harm that fun. But I do drive it at the coast a lot and occasionally through a Creek or two on the trail. Nothing too deep. Inches below the bottom of the jeep. I know it's good to change the fluids after doing that ever so often. Would it be beneficial for me to have an external filter like that?
Yes I do. Like a mentioned, it makes servicing the transmission so much easier. When I replace the fluid in the transmission I simply remove the input line from the external filter and pump out the old fluid there. No more crawling around under the JEEP and making a mess. I also change out this filter every time I do an oil change. This way I can replace a quart of ATF each time. Remember, clean cool ATF will keep your transmission very happy. Just ask the one on my 1980 CJ7 with 360K on it. :laugh:

#26 ·
The filter is the same as you use on the engine. However, I use the oversized ones. Like the Ford Motorcraft FL1A, or equivalent. The adapter I got from Summit racing and the hose is transmission approved from NAPA. I think Summit may sell a complete kit though. It's been years since I installed this one so I don't remember for sure. The hose diameter is 3/8th's so you will need to know that. Just Google external transmission filters. You should be able to find something you like easily.

#30 ·
Since we're on the topic of this (not to derail), a month ago I had a transmission cooler and external filter installed. The hose on the cooler came undone and I lost alot of fluid, unknown to me, on a drive home. The transmission was not slipping but when I got it home there was smoke coming out of the dipstick when I removed it.

I added a couple quarts, assuming I had lost all fluid since the dipstick showed nothing, to get started. After awhile I figured out I hadn't lost all my fluid and now I was slightly overfilled. Now the Jeep is stumbling and almost stalling when shifting to reverse and drive. It also does it if I'm sitting at a stop sign and put the shift in "1". What could be the issue here?

It is a 32rh.

#32 ·
Just another update. This filter and fluid change has turned into a nightmare. Of course you all know the story. It stated with changing the filter. Then shift shaft seal leaked. Replaced it and no more leaks... so i thought. After a 50 mile cruise enjoying the door less weather. I parked my Jeep and come back as a "just making sure check" and i got about 4 drops of fresh fluid on the ground. I climb under it and what do you know. I now have a small leak coming from the bell housing. I read is likely the shaft seal or pump. Something like that. Why are all these leaks popping up when I had none before? How much is that going to run me to get fixed? I don't want to play transmission mechanic anymore. Lol

After all these transmission leaks and problems. I'm definitely getting the filter. I'm definitely babying it from here on out. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.