Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Auto trans skid plate bolts wont stay in

896 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  TJJeepJosh 
#1 ·
Like the title says, the bolts on the skid plate for my trans pan wont stay in. The two smaller ones that attach to the transfer case skid stay in but the larger bolts that go into the frame will not. With the drivers side bolt I can screw it in all the up until the last 1/8th inch or so of the bolt. Once I get to that point it just drops back down. Over time the bolt falls out and loosens the passenger side frame bolt.
My first thought was that the nut's threads were rusted away but I don't see how that could be if it screws in and holds for the first 90% of the bolt. Everything goes in like normal until the last 1/8th then I can freely push the bolt up and let it fall back down. Any ideas?

#10 ·
The nutsert was bad. I switched the bolt I had in there with the bolt from the rear bumper and as I was tightening it the nutsert let go and is now spinning in the frame. The frame is not rusty and I keep it clean so I don't know if it was just not attached well or what. I also switched from the skid plate to the rear bumper and it went in fine just tightening by hand so it was the right size. Now to get the bolt and loose insert out..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.