Auto tranny trouble shifting to 3rd when cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Auto tranny trouble shifting to 3rd when cold

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Reply
Unread 12-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
b3nj4m1n
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,708
Auto tranny trouble shifting to 3rd when cold

Not just when it's cold outside, still did it during the summer.
Anyway started about a year ago when i first start driving it will shift normally to 2nd but not to 3rd. If i play with the throttle a little bit i can get it to shift.
Doesn't happen after a few miles though.

been searching on the internet and found something similar with some guy's cherokee where it wouldn't shift from 1st to 2nd. someone replied:

Quote:
Hey max, I have a 89 jeep cherokee laredo auto. 249,000k. I was having the same problem with my tranny. I looked everywhere online to find the problem, only to find that I didn't need anything new at all!(besides some new transmission fluid)
With a 1" wrench I disconnected the "speed-sensor" (which on 89's I'm told is the first year that they had them) I pulled out the cable and all I saw was a little square rod coming out of the end of the cable. It wouldn't move...?... I moved it in and out quickly so that is broke free of all dirt that was lodged inside of the cable. sprayed some degreaser, put it back! It shifts great!!
Transmission problem - Jeep Cherokee - Topix

is that the same speed sensor attached to the speedo gear? could that be causing the problem? other suggestions?

__________________
Quote:
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." -Mark Twain
b3nj4m1n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
troys96xj
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ravenna , OHio
Posts: 481
You can try that and you can also take a steel wire brush and clean the shift linkage well , then spray WD-40 on it [spray generously] . Do that every 2 days for a week and see how it works. I had a few Chryslers that got gunked up on the linkage and this fixed it every time. Good luck.
troys96xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nj4m1n View Post
Not just when it's cold outside, still did it during the summer.
Anyway started about a year ago when i first start driving it will shift normally to 2nd but not to 3rd. If i play with the throttle a little bit i can get it to shift.
Doesn't happen after a few miles though.
When's the last time you changed the transmission fluid? Also, have you checked the adjustment of the TV cable? Do you have a FSM?...
__________________
TSB Information: http://www.automd.com/tsb/jeep_m/wrangler_mm/2000_y/
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by troys96xj View Post
You can try that and you can also take a steel wire brush and clean the shift linkage well , then spray WD-40 on it [spray generously] . Do that every 2 days for a week and see how it works. I had a few Chryslers that got gunked up on the linkage and this fixed it every time. Good luck.
What would that have to do with the internal shifting of the transmission?...
__________________
TSB Information: http://www.automd.com/tsb/jeep_m/wrangler_mm/2000_y/
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
troys96xj
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ravenna , OHio
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
What would that have to do with the internal shifting of the transmission?...
If the shift linkage has crap on it then it dont move like it should and therefor wont allow the tranny to shift properly. I know cuz Ive done it more than once. Im not saying this is the problem Im just saying it could be. If it is then its a free and easy fix. Chryslers are good for it. Im not stupid , I know what Im talking about.
troys96xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
b3nj4m1n
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
When's the last time you changed the transmission fluid? Also, have you checked the adjustment of the TV cable? Do you have a FSM?...
i have the fsm pdf.
i had the fluid and filter changed about a year and a half ago maybe..?
__________________
Quote:
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." -Mark Twain
b3nj4m1n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3nj4m1n View Post
i have the fsm pdf.
i had the fluid and filter changed about a year and a half ago maybe..?
Other than the TV cable, have you looked at the two adjustments called out in the FSM?...
__________________
TSB Information: http://www.automd.com/tsb/jeep_m/wrangler_mm/2000_y/
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired
 
Knuckelhead's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by troys96xj View Post
Im not stupid.
And someone said you were?...
__________________
TSB Information: http://www.automd.com/tsb/jeep_m/wrangler_mm/2000_y/
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
b3nj4m1n
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Other than the TV cable, have you looked at the two adjustments called out in the FSM?...
haven't checked any of that. i did look at the fsm though and will check it out, thanks for the suggestions.
__________________
Quote:
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
"In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." -Mark Twain
b3nj4m1n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.