AUTO TRANNY - Extending Breather Line for Water Crossing - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > AUTO TRANNY - Extending Breather Line for Water Crossing

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 08-30-2006, 08:07 AM   #31
msavard
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J33ptj97!
X2 this question, where's Jerry B?
I thought I remembered reading that in the 3sp Auto used before 03 the vent is inside the bellhousing and requires dropping the tranny and drilling out the top to extend the vent.

4.0L Auto • 35" Maxxis Bighorns • D30/D44 w 4.88 Gears • 2.5" OME LJ/XJ lift • JKS Trackbars • Brown Dog MML • 1" BL • Warn Engine Skid • Aussie Locker (FR) / Rubi Air Locker (REAR) • SYE/CV • Nth Adj Control Arms • Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier • PSC Rocker Knockers • ORO Swayloc • TNT Tube Fenders

MIDSOUTH JEEP CLUB > Jeepers from TN, AR, MS, and KY
msavard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 08:21 AM   #32
Materdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J33ptj97!
X2 this question, where's Jerry B?
Jerry B has the 5 speed manual (although is looking into an auto, so he might still know)!

Jerry,
Where's the breather on the manual, is it possible to extend it? I've heard mixed things. Do you know if this is legit?:
http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/waterproof/
MyJeepRocks
Materdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 09:43 AM   #33
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xjeep
sorry if i missed it but where is the vent on a 97 3 speed? if any.
These pics should help.

Taken from THIS THREAD.
autovent1.jpg   autovent2.jpg   autovent3.jpg  
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 11:19 AM   #34
honaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffCamberTJ
Just checked out my AT '04 built in 12/'03. Front axle vent up by winshield washer bottle, rear axle vent up in gas filler neck, tranny vent almost at the top on the the tranny dip stick. Now here's the odd part, the T-case vent had PLENTY of hose but it was clipped with one of the "christmass tree" push locks ina metal tab RIGHT on top of the bell housing. I pulled it loose and w/o having to add any hose I was able to reroute it up to the metal brake lines right under the brake booster.

Also another note, where the tubes were connected to their origins they are clipped on with those spring loaded three prong clamps. So I feel those are good tight connections.

While I don't plan on forging a river I feel much safer knowing I can atleast forge water to the tops of my tires and be safe.

Same thing on my '04 Unlimited with auto. I pulled the T-case vent line out of the x-mas tree at the top of the vent line and routed it over to the transmission dip stick. From underneath it appeared to have lazily wandered forward on the passenger side and then crossed over to the driver side where it was clipped to the bell housing. Plenty of slack for re-routing. I wonder why it wasn't placed higher in the first place?
Unread 09-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #35
pwcracer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

how did you ensure there were no metal shavings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
These pics should help.

Taken from THIS THREAD.

Just wondering how you elliminated all the metal shavings from your trans after drilling and tapping that new vent. It is hard to tell from that picture where exaclty on top the new vent line should go, or maybe it doesnt matter too much as long as it's in the body of the trans.
pwcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #36
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

04 is fine. Here are the vent locations:
Transfer Case
The t-case vent comes up the other side by the brake booster.

T-case - Ziptied around the brakelines cloes to the master cylinder
Transmission
My 2003 and > auto has a vent hose zip tied to the tranny filler tube near the top. As far as I know, all 2003 and up autos have this vent hose.

I just crawled under there and took a good look. There IS a metal tube coming out the top of the tranny (it exits parallel to the ground and bends 90 degrees upward. At that point a black tube is attached with a red zip-tie. The tube goes forward but I lose it just behind the bellhousing. My jeep isn't lifted and I can't seem to get a good enough angle in front of the skid to see where it goes.

Tranny - Ziptied to the tranny dipstick tube near the top.

Front & Rear Differentials
The diffs are already vented pretty high. The rear axle is vented near the gas filler. The front is somewhere in the engine bay.

The front axle vent comes up the left side of the radiator - ends just short of the top of the radiator.

Front diff - Upper driver side corner by the rad overflow bottle

Rear diff - Ziptied to the the gas fill tube close the the fuel cap
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2006, 06:01 PM   #37
safarimike
1999 TJ Wrangler 

like said before, im pretty much screwed as far as extending the tranny breather?

99 tj auto
safarimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2006, 05:26 PM   #38
safarimike
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i dont get it

the "vent" goes into the bell housing correct? shoudant the bell housing be sealed to the engine? which woudant make it a vent then if its sealed?

i dont plan on doing any mods to the trans in the near furture, but i just want to understand what is going on here.
safarimike is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.