Auto-dimming mirror wiring harness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Auto-dimming mirror wiring harness

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-05-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Yeoman

Auto-dimming mirror wiring harness

I have a new 2005 Sport and recently purchased an OEM auto dimming mirror. Only problem is I cannot find the wiring harness which should be located directly under the windshield defroster molding so that I can plug it in. It's no where to be found in mine. Anyone with a 2005 have any luck with this mod? Ironically the temp sensor was already in place on the grill, so no need to install that

Any help would be appreciated!

Yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #2
Yeoman

bump! Anyone?
Unread 05-05-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Windsor
Mobil 1, not Mobile 1

I'd have loved to know that existed, but I sure didn't see it in my 2004 when I installed the mirror. Did yours come with a wiring harness at all? Is it Mopar or from a company like Quadratec? I got mine from Quadratec and it came with everything and was a very easy install. Ironically, my Jeep did have the connector for the temp sensor behind the grill, but did not have the sensor attached. I decided to follow Oman's writeup here: http://www.oman4x4.com/mirror.htm

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Skyjacker Hydro 7000 shocks and steering stabilizer
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Tuffy glove box, full console
WARN D30 skid & Nth Degree Mobility oil pan skid
WARN front and rear Rock Crawler bumpers, winch plate and grill guard
WARN 9.5ti winch w/ Optima Blue Top D34M - X-Line rope & fairlead
KC Daylighter Slimlights on windshield
IPF H4 w/ FatBoy bulbs
Windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor
I'd have loved to know that existed, but I sure didn't see it in my 2004 when I installed the mirror. Did yours come with a wiring harness at all? Is it Mopar or from a company like Quadratec? I got mine from Quadratec and it came with everything and was a very easy install. Ironically, my Jeep did have the connector for the temp sensor behind the grill, but did not have the sensor attached. I decided to follow Oman's writeup here: http://www.oman4x4.com/mirror.htm

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Yep! Mopar with harness. Should hook up to existing harness hiding under front defroster cover, but connector doesn't seem to exist in mine!
Unread 05-05-2005, 09:21 PM   #5
Windsor
Mobil 1, not Mobile 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman
Yep! Mopar with harness. Should hook up to existing harness hiding under front defroster cover, but connector doesn't seem to exist in mine!
I'd say go ahead and use the harness that came with the mirror. The good part for those of us with newer Jeeps is that we have the plastic surround outside of our windshield. It isn't more than three or four torx bolts to undo it and run the wires down that way. I understand and respect wanting to use the factory wiring, but if it just ain't there, then, heck... Why not?
JKS Quicker Disconnects
IPF H4 w/ FatBoy bulbs
Unread 05-05-2005, 09:51 PM   #6
Yeoman

The problem is going to be finding the wires running from the existing temp probe behind the firewall. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the feedback!
Unread 05-05-2005, 10:58 PM   #7
Windsor
Mobil 1, not Mobile 1

Well, it sounds like you have the wiring assembly, so check out the pics on Oman's site on where to go through the firewall with the wires and you should be fine.
JKS Quicker Disconnects
IPF H4 w/ FatBoy bulbs
Unread 05-05-2005, 11:15 PM   #8
ilovetrains

Not to hijack but where is the cheapest place to find the complete setup with harness?
ilovetrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2005, 03:28 AM   #9
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quadratec sells it for about $50 under MSRP, I didn't look for anywhere cheaper as Quadratec is an extremely fast and reliable shipper for international stuff, and I much prefer that I actually get the stuff than save an extra $10 and risk it

The product codes are at the end of the write up - http://www.oman4x4.com/mirror.htm

There may be somewhere cheaper out there, but I haven't tried to find it.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2005, 06:36 AM   #10
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So you pulled the whole defroster cover up and the harnes connector is not there on the passenger side? Hmm maybe they didn't put it on all the Jeeps. I know my 04 has it.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2005, 06:45 AM   #11
BillArf

Quote:
I have a new 2005 Sport and recently purchased an OEM auto dimming mirror. Only problem is I cannot find the wiring harness which should be located directly under the windshield defroster molding so that I can plug it in. It's no where to be found in mine. Anyone with a 2005 have any luck with this mod? Ironically the temp sensor was already in place on the grill, so no need to install that

Any help would be appreciated!
Edited 5/6 10:20am Look under the windshield defroster molding. Look just above where the glove box is. It is a white connector..

Last edited by BillArf; 05-06-2005 at 08:21 AM..
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2005, 07:04 AM   #12
BillArf

Quote:
The problem is going to be finding the wires running from the existing temp probe behind the firewall. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the feedback!
WRONG AGAIN! The factory has everything in place for your factory temp/compass mirror. The connector to plug the mirror and connector are there already as they were placed there during the manufacturing process. Using the Genuine JEEP brand temp/compass mirror all you do is install easily a little sensor bracket and then plug in the sensor into the connector found on the front of your TJ and then you plug in the mirror to the connector .That is it! oh, you may have to calibrate the compass (done easily) following the factory innstructions. SO, you will be running NO wires!!!!!

Last edited by BillArf; 05-06-2005 at 08:22 AM..
Unread 05-06-2005, 07:13 AM   #13
Windsor
Mobil 1, not Mobile 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillArf
WRONG AGAIN! The factory has everything in place for your factory temp/compass mirror. The connector to plug the mirror and connector are there already as they were placed there during the manufacturing process.
Mine sure as heck had no wires behind the windshield trim and mine is an '04. However, since mine is technically an X model, maybe only the Sport, Rubi's and Unlimiteds actually have that wiring preinstalled? Hmm...
JKS Quicker Disconnects
IPF H4 w/ FatBoy bulbs
Unread 05-06-2005, 07:13 AM   #14
BillArf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Quadratec sells it for about $50 under MSRP, I didn't look for anywhere cheaper as Quadratec is an extremely fast and reliable shipper for international stuff, and I much prefer that I actually get the stuff than save an extra $10 and risk it

The product codes are at the end of the write up - http://www.oman4x4.com/mirror.htm

There may be somewhere cheaper out there, but I haven't tried to find it.
Makes little sense to me to buy the compass/temp mirror from Quadratec IF you have a TJ manufactured in the last few years. JEEP has prewired the TJ for this FACTORY compass/temp mirror. All you do is easily install a little sensor bracket and then plug the sensor into a pre-existing connector on the front of the TJ and then you plug the compass/temp mirror itself into a connector you will easily find just above the glove box area hidden under the defroster trim piece. You may have to calibrate the compass which is easily done.

SOooo, to save yourself $50 Oman Jeep, you worked for an hour or so, ran wires and putzed around when all that wiring and such was already there and done way better then you could do. You probably did not know all wiring was there...
Suggest anyone considering a compass/temp mirror to go FACTORY if you have a newer TJ with the factory wiring for the compass/temp mirror already in place. Only makes sense!

Last edited by BillArf; 05-06-2005 at 08:46 AM..
Unread 05-06-2005, 07:19 AM   #15
BillArf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor
Mine sure as heck had no wires behind the windshield trim and mine is an '04. However, since mine is technically an X model, maybe only the Sport, Rubi's and Unlimiteds actually have that wiring preinstalled? Hmm...
Edited 5/6 .... I was thinking of another vehicle I recently worked on. Look under your windshield/defroster trim panel on the top of the dash. Once you remove the panel, look on the right side just above where the glove box is located for a black wire with a white connector.......

I'd say look again as it is probably there on yours also. Possibly JEEP has a different wiring set-up for the X but I find that difficult to believe. Do you have the connector for the sensor just behind the radiator? By the way, my 2004 Sport has the existing wiring and so does my friend's '05 Sport. My '03 factory manual says the wiring is there on the '03 Wrangler also. The manual does not say the wiring is different for an X. I believe they started pre-wiring the TJ at the factory for the compass/temp mirror option starting with the '03 year TJ. For info on this compass/temp mirror and a source to purchase it at online go here
Note the ad says '03, '04, '05 Wrangler and makes no comment that it is not available for certain TJ's such as the X.

Last edited by BillArf; 05-06-2005 at 08:25 AM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.