aussie vs detroit ez locker for the front axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > aussie vs detroit ez locker for the front axle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

aussie vs detroit ez locker for the front axle

so I will be doing some axle upgrading shortly and was curious as to what type of front locker i would benefit the most from....(these 2 are in my budget) I know a ton of guys run aussies...but the ez locker is on sale for 199 right now...what are the differences between these 2? also what is the benefit one over the other, or are they very similar? What about installation of them...i really dont know much about the ez locker, i was planning on going with the aussie, but now that the ez locker is on sale, it too looks pretty attractive.

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
chappy84
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have an aussie and it works great. But in all fairness I have never had a detroit EZ.
Try reading the product review section of the forum?
Unread 06-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
tj99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Same here I have an Aussie and have been very pleased with the results. Be prepared for some noise when they ratchet. Mine sounds like a tank occassionally when I turn.
Unread 06-06-2008, 05:51 AM   #4
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Go with the Aussie or Powertrax, avoid the Detroit EZ locker. I had one and all I had out of it was problem after problem. It would never stay locked at all.
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
ratster
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have a ez locker and have had no problems with it other than being pretty noisy.But if I had to do it over I would go Aussie just becuase of the ez's reputation for being problematic.
ratster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2008, 06:45 AM   #6
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Do not get an ez-locker. They are pure peices of junk. (mine included) I have a brand new aussie in the box but still have not installed it.
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
rastadog

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ditto on the NO EZ Locker. They're similar in design to the Aussie but have more parts and I've heard of failures. I love my Aussie. I have to say it's been the single "most bang for the buck" mod I've done.

happy wrenching!

jim
rastadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Of all the lunchbox lockers, the EZ-Locker is by far the worst behaved out of the bunch. I prefer the Powertrax No-Slip locker up front as it never makes a sound and is totally invisible on the street, but it's around $100 more than the Aussie or Lockright which do make noise even in 2wd. But either the Aussie or Lockright would still be a great choice for the front, they're very popular for the front axle.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Of all the lunchbox lockers, the EZ-Locker is by far the worst behaved out of the bunch. I prefer the Powertrax No-Slip locker up front as it never makes a sound and is totally invisible on the street, but it's around $100 more than the Aussie or Lockright which do make noise even in 2wd. But either the Aussie or Lockright would still be a great choice for the front, they're very popular for the front axle.
For use with Dana Model 30 front axle and open carrier. Lose all the noise of that ratcheting style locker without losing any of the performance! The No-Slip Traction System still uses side gears and couplers with teeth similar to the Lock-Right™, but special speed sensing devices allow the teeth to fully lock and unlock without any ratcheting or clicking. No clutch discs or friction plates to wear out, either! The No-Slip provides 100% traction when driving straight but fully unlocks during cornering, allowing for easy steering and reduced wear. Installs easily into your carrier, and most of the time the carrier can remain in the vehicle during installation. Made of Zytanium, a 9310 carbonized steel, for high strength and durability. Applications for open and limited slip differential carriers are available. *For 1997-02 TJ's, a front hub conversion is recommended.

why is that?

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
jeep2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just remebered I had this video from my Detroit EZ Locker. It was installed correctly (we verified that upon install and upon removal to put in the Powertrax lock-right). Nothing was broken, that is just the sound of the horrible Detroit EZ Locker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsvQjsUualE
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2008 View Post
For use with Dana Model 30 front axle and open carrier. Lose all the noise of that ratcheting style locker without losing any of the performance! The No-Slip Traction System still uses side gears and couplers with teeth similar to the Lock-Right™, but special speed sensing devices allow the teeth to fully lock and unlock without any ratcheting or clicking. No clutch discs or friction plates to wear out, either! The No-Slip provides 100% traction when driving straight but fully unlocks during cornering, allowing for easy steering and reduced wear. Installs easily into your carrier, and most of the time the carrier can remain in the vehicle during installation. Made of Zytanium, a 9310 carbonized steel, for high strength and durability. Applications for open and limited slip differential carriers are available. *For 1997-02 TJ's, a front hub conversion is recommended.

why is that?
First, why did that recommendation cut off after 2002? There's no difference in the axles or 4x4 system in any of the TJs between 2002 and older and 2003 and newer. So that statement is very misleading. Second, no hub conversion is needed whatsoever, whoever said tht is 100% wrong. Whoever wrote that, and I assume you cut and pasted that from a different source, doesn't know jack about the TJ.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well guess what??It is from the same people that sell the c-clip eliminator for 1200$ when all the other world sells them for 650$!!!! http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...07&partID=5241

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
jeep2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Can someone explain to me what the term "lunchbox" means please?

A quick question for those with knowledge:

I am ordering up an Eaton gear driven LSD for the rear D44 replacing the stock clutch driven unit the D44 comes with on my LJ. Should I go with another one up front, or go with some type of basic locker. 4wd on my vehicle most likely will be a 75/25 split being used for snow/ice in winter, and some occasional trail riding, light off(no rock crawling) roading in the spring/summer.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #14
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

A lunchbox locker just replaces your spider gears, not the carrier. Not too much of an issue for the D30 unless you have huge tires. It's pretty strong as is.
1987 Coleman Columbia
EvilM0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #15
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK so how do these lunchbox lockers work exactly? like the recommended powertrax unit. Since there is no hub to lock, or air/electric actuator.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.