aussie lockers.? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > aussie lockers.?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 02-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
kingabe88
2004 TJ Wrangler 

aussie lockers.?

Do u recommend aussie lockers?

kingabe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
hulud44
2000 TJ Wrangler 

One of the single best (fairly cheap) upgrade you will do to you Jeep.

http://www.outlawedoffroad.com/showthread.php?t=635"]http://www.outlawedoffroad.com/showthread.php?t=635
hulud44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
kingabe88
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So they're pretty legit then?
Unread 02-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
hulud44
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yes if its you daily driver you will hardly notice it on the street other than a small ratcheting sound which you prob wont hear over you Jeep, off road you have a locker...nuff said there... Easy to install even for someone with no mechanical ability. And its way cheaper than some of the other lockers on the market. The only down side ive found is if you are driving in the snow. It tends to lock up on you and you will slide a bit but I find it fun. But seeing ure from Fresno, snow may not be that much of a problem. 100% recommended

http://www.outlawedoffroad.com/showthread.php?t=635"]http://www.outlawedoffroad.com/showthread.php?t=635
hulud44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
kingabe88
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulud44
yes if its you daily driver you will hardly notice it on the street other than a small ratcheting sound which you prob wont hear over you Jeep, off road you have a locker...nuff said there... Easy to install even for someone with no mechanical ability. And its way cheaper than some of the other lockers on the market. The only down side ive found is if you are driving in the snow. It tends to lock up on you and you will slide a bit but I find it fun. But seeing ure from Fresno, snow may not be that much of a problem. 100% recommended
Thanks a lot... I think ima get them... you've been real helpful
Unread 02-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
jrodajames
1999 TJ Wrangler 

aussie lockers

i live in chowchilla and have been to the hills plenty of times with and without aussie lockers. i would highly recommend them. the first time i went to the snow without them i couldnt even get past the hill the snow plow left, after installing aussie lockers i could not be stopped. if you have ever been to soquel area under 5 feet of snow you know you have some good lockers.
jrodajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
kingabe88
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodajames
i live in chowchilla and have been to the hills plenty of times with and without aussie lockers. i would highly recommend them. the first time i went to the snow without them i couldnt even get past the hill the snow plow left, after installing aussie lockers i could not be stopped. if you have ever been to soquel area under 5 feet of snow you know you have some good lockers.
I went up to kingcanyon last year got took pretty good by a trail... im really new to the jeep scene... do u have front lockers?
Unread 02-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
jrodajames
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i did in my old yj. im in the process of building axles for my tj but it will have both front and rear aussie lockers. they make a world of difference. if your thinking of going front and rear i would recomend it however if your running a dana 35 in the rear you will need to upgrade your axle shafts to alloy.
jrodajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
kingabe88
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodajames
i did in my old yj. im in the process of building axles for my tj but it will have both front and rear aussie lockers. they make a world of difference. if your thinking of going front and rear i would recomend it however if your running a dana 35 in the rear you will need to upgrade your axle shafts to alloy.
Ouch... im not sure I know they're stock for a wrangler x tj... I hope I dont have to change anything else out
Unread 02-15-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would highly recommend an aussie locker in the front axle. The stock d30 (front axle you have) has proven fairly reliable locked on 33s. When you move to 35s with it locked you need to upgrade to alloy axle shafts.

For the rear axle you either have a dana 35 (more common) or the optional dana 44. google pics of them.

If you have a dana 35, i wouldnt lock it without alloy shafts.

if you have a d44, go for it theyre pretty tough.

Lunchbox lockers (like aussie, powertrax and lockrite) are very well behaved up front axle and are invisible when driving in 2wd other than a faint clicking sound when turning in parking lots etc.

Lunchbox lockers in the rear are not as street friendly IMO. They sometimes pop and unload, they steer the jeep by torque etc. I would suggest a selectable locker, a detroit locker, or a detroit trutrac limited slip in the back.

Do the aussie up front and see how you like it. I suspect you will be so impressed with it you will leave the rear untouched until you get into serious wheeling and can afford a selectable locker like arb or ox for the rear axle.
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

^ EXACTLY!!!!! Couldn't agree more with that post. That's precisely my thoughts.

I LOVE my Aussie locker up front! Best upgrade I've done hands down and I can wait on the rear now..
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I highly suggest the aussie up front as well, great locker for the price and completely changes the capabilities of your jeep offroad. I run an aussie up front and a powertrax no slip in the rear (did 30k of street driving and wheeled it at least every other weekend this past year and loved it). I have been using the rig in the snow for the past few weeks here in NY and it took some getting used to but it does great in the snow.
UltimateCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #13
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The no slip is the best behaved of the lunchbox lockers in the rear by far. I personally wouldnt own one in the rear, but its good to know they are decently behaved on the street
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It does wear down your rear tires faster than having an LSD in the rear
UltimateCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
rkymtn05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Two thumbs up on the front aussie locker! Best upgrade I did to my jeep.
rkymtn05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.