Aussie locker VS. Yukon Spartan locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aussie locker VS. Yukon Spartan locker

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Aussie Lunch Box Locker 96 52.75%
Yukon Spartan Lunch box locker 47 25.82%
Same just different name 39 21.43%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 12-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Aussie locker VS. Yukon Spartan locker

so i know they are box lunch box lockers. they are the exact same price. i have heard that the Aussielocker uses smaller springs then the Yukon Spartan locker. i know Aussie has a reputation and the Spartan is somewhat new. what does everyone think? which one do you guys think is better? or do you guys think they are the same?

Unread 12-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
eblack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i just bought one hours ago from northridge4x4 for $230. Aussie is the way to go.
eblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Between not being a fan of Yukon and not wanting to be a guinea pig when it comes to the drivetrain, I personally would go with the Aussie and not even consider the Spartan.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
vampyr0
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i just installed a spartan d30 in my xj, i got a good deal from wayne hartwig over at p-4x4, my locker is working as it should. it looks like they used the same design as lockright and aussie, just improved it. my bro in law purchased one for his xj as well. we could have gone with aussie or lr, but decided to try out the spartans, i'll probably get another one for my tj d30 in a month or so.
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Aussie Locker.
Unread 12-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
Muddybrit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Aussie everytime
Unread 12-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #7
vampyr0
1997 XJ Cherokee 

all 3 will do the same thing, lock your axle when in 4wd and make a little noise in sharp turns, just choose whichever brand you are comfortable with.

this is just my preference. at first, i hesitated with my spartan purchase because of the lack of info on the net, then i found the jp article and some user feedback, and was a little more convinced, then i found my seller at another forum and he gave me a great price and decided to give the spartan a try.

jp magazine wrote an article on the spartan locker, take a look;

Head-To-Head Lunchboxes Drop In Locker Shootout - Spartan Locker - Jp Magazine

and here you can see some pics of the aussie, lr, and spartan, you can see all 3 are basically the same design, just the spartan comes with a hardened cross pin and bigger spring pins, as is shown in the pics.

Jeep Drop In Lockers Pins And Springs Photo

the worst thing jp could say on the spartans was that the instruction booklet could use some help, but if this is the worst thing they can say on this, i can live with it. when i got stuck on the instructions, i just gave wayne h. (guy who sold me the spartan) a call and he gladly helped me out. this was the 1st locker i installed and it seemed easy, well, at least the actual locker installation was, removing everything to be able to remove the carrier from the axle was the hard part.

don't be afraid of a little risk, we do that every time we go out to wheel.

-luis-
Unread 03-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
mikes04tj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a spartan in the rear of my tj. It was the easiest lunchbox locker i have ever installed. simple, no thrust washers to mess with, etc.. barely noticeable on the street, and there when you need it on the trail.
RC ROCS #378, class 2 TJ check it out at rc4x4.org
mikes04tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes04tj View Post
I have a spartan in the rear of my tj. It was the easiest lunchbox locker i have ever installed. simple, no thrust washers to mess with, etc.. barely noticeable on the street, and there when you need it on the trail.
X2

Another vote for the spartan. As others mentioned, Same concept but simpler IMO. Ease of instillation and like said, Much quieter on-road. Good luck either way.
Unread 03-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
Muddybrit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've installed Aussies on both c clip and non c clip axles and they were pretty straightforward. My front one has been flawless.
Unread 03-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'll just say I haven't had a Spartan come back with busted pins..... YET, an I've put a fair share of em in.

the pins are HUGE, compared to the aussie and lock rite, but the springs are about the same.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 12:30 AM   #12
diablo_331
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yukon doesn't stand behind there products...ask me how I know.
Unread 04-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

bump......
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #14
4x4chevette
1985 CJ5 

My aussie has failed 2 times. In the 3 months that Ive had it.

I had issues with the ez locker I had becuase according to them it was designed for "up to a 31" tire"

I havent gotten that excuse from aussie yet but im waiting for it.

Ive never had any issues with a lock right and ive ran them with 35's and no issues plenty of times.

Here is the deal killer for the spartan. " Spartan Lockers are recommended to lighter vehicles or vehicles with tires shorter than 32". "

Looks like lock right hands down for me.

Last edited by 4x4chevette; 04-28-2010 at 07:50 AM..
4x4chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
Chris98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

aussies have a warranty regardless of tire size.
98 tj sport Aussie locked front and rear 4.10's HPD30 8.8 super short sye cv shaft 4.5 lift johnny joint adj. control arms 36in TSL's gen right hi fenders header exhaust custom rockers Solid axle covers f/r the list goes on
Leading bullet sponge for JF Call of Duty crew
X BOX GT- CHRIS98TJ
Chris98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.