Aussie Locker and Snow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aussie Locker and Snow

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
sethkins88
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Aussie Locker and Snow

I have an auto locker aka (Aussie, lockright, etc) and with the recent snowfall tonight it did great. Snow covered roads were no issue.. couldnt tell a difference between an open 30 and a locked one in the snow. Also performed well offroad in the snow as well, did awesome on snow covered hill climbs.

I know there are a lot of folks saying to buy a selectable due to issues with an autolocker and snow. I just wanted to go on the record and report my personal experience that I did not run into any issues. I was looking for this information before I bought an auto locker for the front axle, so hopefully it will help others.

sethkins88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I think the reason that lockers and snow/ice get a bad rap is because people that have never driven one on either just parrot what they hear from someone else who has never driven on ice/snow either.

I recently took my LJ up to Colorado and drove all through the state on numerous snow covered and iced up roads with no problem. Even with power in the turns I didn't notice any of the under steer issues allot of people "claim" to have with snow/ice driving with a locker.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
unclewilson2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

have aussies front and rear 2002 wrangler! great in snow! suxs in slightly plowed roads{paved road adn snow mix} jeep pulls from one side to other ! very uncontrollable , thinking about adding another damper to steering !any one else see this !
unclewilson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
ff33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had an Aussie in the front of my Tacoma and it did fine in the snow and ice too, but I could definately tell it was there. One of the first things I noticed when I sold the Tacoma and bought the jeep was how nice it was to have normal four wheel drive again, but if the rubicon didn't come with selectables I would have had no worries throwing an aussie in it.
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
cj777
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
I think the reason that lockers and snow/ice get a bad rap is because people that have never driven one on either just parrot what they hear from someone else who has never driven on ice/snow either.

FOG
^ This. So much of the "information" given out here is simply parroting, especially when it comes to auto lockers. I have auto lockers front and rear and as long as you understand how a locker works and adjust your driving, it's fine.

'74 CJ5
'81 CJ7
'03 TJ
cj777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
ozo101
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj777 View Post
^ This. So much of the "information" given out here is simply parroting, especially when it comes to auto lockers. I have auto lockers front and rear and as long as you understand how a locker works and adjust your driving, it's fine.
wouldnt an auto locker in the rear be locked all the time ??
Unread 01-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
cj777
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo101 View Post
wouldnt an auto locker in the rear be locked all the time ??
When torque is applied it is locked. Otherwise it unlocks to allow for cornering. This locking and unlocking feature is what causes issues for drivers that are not accustomed to an auto locker. However as this thread demonstrates most auto locker owners learn to drive accordingly and are able to safely predict how the locker will act....even in the snow.

'74 CJ5
'81 CJ7
'03 TJ
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
ozo101
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj777 View Post
When torque is applied it is locked. Otherwise it unlocks to allow for cornering. This locking and unlocking feature is what causes issues for drivers that are not accustomed to an auto locker. However as this thread demonstrates most auto locker owners learn to drive accordingly and are able to safely predict how the locker will act....even in the snow.
forget about snow , I still dont get it, so I cant turn and give throttle at the same time ?? every time i give it gas it would lock the rear diff how can you turn??
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
forget about snow , i still dont get it, so i cant turn and give throttle at the same time ?? Every time i give it gas it would lock the rear diff how can you turn??
x2, as in taking a right turn into traffic that's going 45mph on dry pavement?
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Okay. Don't listen to anyone in those types of threads that is not running lockers in a snowy climate.

Now that is out of the way. I have an aussie locker in my front axle. We got snow/ice one day, i took the Jeep out and threw it into 4 hi. Despite EVERYTHING that EVERYONE on the forum said about how they will put you in a ditch..guess what? It didn't. I went into a turn and gassed it....guess what, I turned. While turning was a little harder due to the fact that I have no spiders up front...the jeep is still controllable and there is ZERO learning curve.

I made a thread just like this before a while ago. It's amazing what the hearsay will do to people.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
cj777
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
forget about snow , I still dont get it, so I cant turn and give throttle at the same time ?? every time i give it gas it would lock the rear diff how can you turn??
Of course you can give it gas while you turn. The key is to give it steady gas during turns...not off and on the gas pedal.

'74 CJ5
'81 CJ7
'03 TJ
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Ya I agree. I was worried about the aussie infront of my TJ this winter but its actually great. Not much difference than an open diff and won't leave me spinning two tires in the deeper stuff. I had a Truetrac in the front of my first truck that was scary at times in the snow, not sure why that was so different but the aussie rocks. And of course is phenomenal offroad.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.