Aussie Locker Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aussie Locker Question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
HoustonTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Aussie Locker Question

A question for people with aussie lockers front and rear.

I installed the Aussies front and rear on my TJ. Both passed the spin test and in 2wd I can feel the rear pushing the inside tire especially turning from a stop. Iím planning on going to Superlift ORV in Hot Springs with a friend next weekend. Then I thought I havenít put the jeep into 4wd since both front and rear were installed and I better check that out before driving 9 hours to get there. So out there in the (Paved) parking lot I pulled up on the magical 4x4 lever. Hereís where the questions is.

1. Driving straight or mostly straight is ok.

2. Attempting to turn into an angle parking spot got exciting??? Itís like everything was locked up. Tires are chirping and hopping.

3. Iím not sure I could do a turn with the wheels fully turned, partially turned started to plow across the pavement.

I expected it to tighten up and produce more centering force on the steering, but itís like it doesnít want to turn at all.

OK now for the question.

Is everything ok?
Is this dramatic ďFull LockĒ due to the paved surface?
Even after going back to 2wd it took a few side to side turns to loosen up the front end.

I donít have my installation measurements here at work, but the front was mid range on all of them. The rear was in spec, but on the tighter side.

Thanks,
Steve

HoustonTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
BarneyJEEP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yup, that's why you're not supposed to use 4wd on pavement...
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
ROUGHSHOD
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have one in the front and it does the same thing - it means you've installed it correctly. When switching from 4WD back to 2WD it will unlock more easily after you've run it for a while.
ROUGHSHOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
CTOffroad

Everything is good, just next time please don't do that on pavement, do it in the dirt where there is some give.
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Bad idea to run in 4wd on pavement. It is a PART TIME transfer case which means the only time you use it is when you are in a low traction condition. You can do serious damage on pavement.

You have a locked tcase and locked differentials. So, in theory it is impossible to do anything but go in a strait line. Any move you make from a strait line requires that a tire slips, chirps, lifts off the ground, or something breaks.

Other than that, it sounds like everything is working great. Have fun in Hot Springs.
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
HoustonTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I basically got the same answer from Aussie, but wanted to see what the forum's thoughts were.

Thanks for the replies!
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
alexr40
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yeah on the pavement 4x4 you have the 2 rear tires locked, the 2 front tires locked, and the front and rear driveshaft locked at transfercase

so you are fully locked. no tire can spin different from the other.. That's why it jumps/hops and cant turn right

that's normal. you should use it only on the dirt/trails.. You will see you can turn and it will not hop or anything. because it will slide on the dirt/sand etc.

rule of thumb.. 4x4 only off road........ if you are front/rear locked... this rule is even more strictly! for your safety and for the safety of your drivetrain components.

2005 WK Limited 4.7L - 4x4 (QT-II)
2" RC Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME Rear Shocks, Saguaro Shackle Mounts, Mopar OEM Hitch
alexr40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yup, your locked and loaded. Go wheel that thing. You'll be amazed at what you can do now.

www.my4x4source.com Jeep parts and accessories
silverjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
HoustonTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Found some dirt today and tried 4wd again. MUCH better!

Thanks for all the replies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.