Aussie Locker install in a D30 writeup ! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aussie Locker install in a D30 writeup !

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by del_TJ View Post
Thanks for the write-up. I'm thinking of putting an Aussie in my LP30 next year.

Do you notice clunking or clicking at full turn? I don't doubt the added off-road capability, but I hear different things about how quiet they are on the street under 2WD. Some say they're totally silent, others complain of hard clunking under tight turns. What should I expect?
It does clunk a bit at full turn but it's not that bad really... The rest of the time on the road it has no effect or noise at all. Infact it's so quiet on 2wd I thought I must have installed incorrectly ! Untill I tried it today and as I said it worked like a charm

Go for it

TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschviuz View Post
Mine clicks during turns but to me it isn't noticeable anymore. My wife, however, drove my jeep the other day and calls me saying it is making a weird noise. After going crazy in my head, thinking "oh great, now what's wrong with my jeep", I figured out she was talking about the locker.

The noise really isn't very loud and I will tell you it is about the best $200 you can put into you jeep for cost/benefit offroad
I'm with you all the way
Unread 11-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #18
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

fishinjeeper, can you elaborate on what you are referring to?
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #19
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
The springs/pins are put in opposite of how they should be installed....
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #20
tufrthnails
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Love my Aussie in my LP30 running it with 35's for 3 years now. Clicks a little in low speed tight turns otherwise silent. Hated it in my Rear end (8.8). Had to either throttle through turns or coast no in between. It would clunck pretty hard when getting in throttle or out of throttle in a turn.
http://www.thelakelandjeepclub.com
tufrthnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #21
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I see now. hehe
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #22
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
by placings the pins and springs reverse. It turns the Aussie into a full time locker. Not sure why, some have explained it to be but I did not understand. I installed completely installed everything including my Aussie. I tried to back out of the drive way and could not turn my wheel at all. It was obviously fully locked. So I took it apart and switched the pins and springs and worked just like it should!
Unread 11-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #23
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have one in my XJ D44 and loved it. I had to removed the ring gear as well. The cross shaft would not clear the teeth.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #24
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ive never seen a Aussie for the HP D30, they all say D30, do the work for both the LP and HP?

Believe.
Jeepzcb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #25
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepzcb09 View Post
Ive never seen a Aussie for the HP D30, they all say D30, do the work for both the LP and HP?
Yes
Unread 11-13-2010, 12:25 AM   #26
JChors
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mine's totally unnoticable in 2wd. In 4wd it let's you know it's there in all the turns.
JChors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #27
gitractorman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Were you able to take apart the axle, install the locker, and re-install the ring gear without making any adjustments to the gear/pinion alignment? I have heard that making sure the ring gear is in perfect alignment with the pinion gear is a must whenever taking a differential apart? I know that some places use marking paper to measure clearances, etc. I've never done it, so I'm just curious if you should be going to an axle shop to make sure the alignments are still good.
gitractorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #28
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitractorman View Post
Were you able to take apart the axle, install the locker, and re-install the ring gear without making any adjustments to the gear/pinion alignment? I have heard that making sure the ring gear is in perfect alignment with the pinion gear is a must whenever taking a differential apart? I know that some places use marking paper to measure clearances, etc. I've never done it, so I'm just curious if you should be going to an axle shop to make sure the alignments are still good.
ust make sure you keep the bearing cap on the correct side when you put it back on and tourque it and with the ring gear also mark it with a sharpie so that you put it back in the exact sam place and tourque it aswell
Unread 11-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #29
nibstools
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did this install front and rear in my YJ thing is a beast with both! Very easy install.
aussie-locker.jpg   carrier-cleared-out.jpg   aussie-installed-carrier.jpg   aussie-installed-carrier-ring-gear-.jpg   carrier-back-axle.jpg  

nibstools is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #30
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes when I found out how easy it is to install an automatic locker I am now working on getting my rear D44 locked aswell

But I think I'm gonna go for powertrax lock-right this time... Not sure though!

Tags
aussie locker , dana 30 , locker install , lockers

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.