Aussie Locker install in a D30 writeup ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aussie Locker install in a D30 writeup !

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 09-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Aussie Locker install in a D30 writeup !

Ok don't get too excited guys this writeup may take some time .

Anyway I just got my Aussie Locker part #XD-13027 in the mail today for my front D30. I bought it from Northridge4x4.com. Although I got most of my questions answered here in the forum I also contacted a guy there called David. He was great and helped me alot with my other questions.

I am planning on installing it this weekend hopefully. If I managed to get all the info I need since this is my first install of such locker. Actually it's the first time I install anything in a diff. So you might want to consider it more as an install thread instead of a writeup.

Ok here is a picture of what came in the package. And of course I couldn't wait to put the sticker on the Jeep.

image138.jpg   image142.jpg  
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to this as I am thinking about doing this as well.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsmandan View Post
Looking forward to this as I am thinking about doing this as well.
Great... From what I've read it's a great mod that's way worth it.

If all goes according to my plans you will see it installed after this weekend
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok... So here are some closeup shots of the locker parts and a picture showing how it should be assembled inside the carrier.
image145.jpg   image146.jpg   image147.jpg   image148.jpg   image149.jpg  

Unread 09-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

image150.jpg   image151.jpg   image152.jpg   image153.jpg   image144.jpg  

Unread 10-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok for the update...

So I have managed to finish the install last weekend. Unfortunatley I was working alone and at night so I couldn't take any pictures of the steps. I followed this writeup step by step Aussie Locker - Dana 30 Front Axle Installation Write-Up And it's a straight forward no hassle install. Note that this is my very first diff job ever.

However. Here are my notes on the install:

1- They say that sometimes you will need to pry the carrier out of it's place, but in my case as soon as I pulled both axles out the carrier just fell off by itself. Good thing the tie rod caught it before it hit the ground. So be carefull and it helps if someone else was there with you to catch the carrier just incase it falls like mine did.

2- I have heard lots of guys advising me not to remove the ring gear out of the carrier and that I can remove the spider gears and install the locker with ring in place. This might be true perhaps for other typed of carriers but in the Dana 30 the pinion shaft won't get out unless you remove the ring gear.

Well I guess this is it... I can't think of anything else to mention and like I said it's an easy straight forward job if you had the right tools for it. Just follow that writeup step by step and you're good to go

I will be trying it next month when the off-roading season starts and will let you guys know how it worked out for me

Oh and here is a phone picture of the locker and carrier back inplace.
image157.jpg  
Unread 10-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
TJinSoFLA
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Are the steps different for an HP D30?
TJinSoFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJinSoFLA View Post
Are the steps different for an HP D30?
I don't think so.... As I said don't worry it's a straight forward install and you can't go wrong with it. Just make sure you put everything back the way it was.

Edit: Note how I marked the ring gear and the lift and right carrier holders so I won't mix them up.

Good luck
Unread 10-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cant wait to get me a locker for the front!
Red Jeep Club #556 - "DA 4-$LANGER"
1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID
Tjosh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

lookin great
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here is NOT how to set your pin's and springs. This is the wrong way and will instantly keep your aussie locked.

Unread 11-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well... Today was the first offroading trip for this year's season And I finally had the chance to test my new Aussie!!!

And I can only say WOW what a huge effect it had on my TJ's capability

I have read about the effect a locker can do before and after the install but untill I tried it myself on the trail I frankly had some doubts. But today, man I kept going straight forward over hills, rocks, soft sand,.... you name it I was simply unstoppable
And it was so easy on my jeep.

Bottom line is... Guys, if you don't have lockers get ones installed as soon as possible

I would like also to thanks everyone here who advised me to get this great mod installed
Unread 11-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
del_TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write-up. I'm thinking of putting an Aussie in my LP30 next year.

Do you notice clunking or clicking at full turn? I don't doubt the added off-road capability, but I hear different things about how quiet they are on the street under 2WD. Some say they're totally silent, others complain of hard clunking under tight turns. What should I expect?
del_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
jnljeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by del_TJ View Post
Thanks for the write-up. I'm thinking of putting an Aussie in my LP30 next year.

Do you notice clunking or clicking at full turn? I don't doubt the added off-road capability, but I hear different things about how quiet they are on the street under 2WD. Some say they're totally silent, others complain of hard clunking under tight turns. What should I expect?
I plan the same install but have the same concerns as above.
jnljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mine clicks during turns but to me it isn't noticeable anymore. My wife, however, drove my jeep the other day and calls me saying it is making a weird noise. After going crazy in my head, thinking "oh great, now what's wrong with my jeep", I figured out she was talking about the locker.

The noise really isn't very loud and I will tell you it is about the best $200 you can put into you jeep for cost/benefit offroad
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aussie locker , dana 30 , locker install , lockers

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.