Aussie Locker in D35c - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aussie Locker in D35c

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 07-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #76
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hot tub time machine!

Unread 07-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #77
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Really? You don't remember? Let's get in the way-back machine!
You didnt do very well in reading comprhesion did you? Don't feel bad, I'm not the best speller (as has been pointed out)

Look at what you just quoted, I never said I broke a S35. I stated that I wasted money on a Super 35 kit.

Is your only argument for a S35 is that I'm lieing? Thats great! why would I lie and what do I have to gain by lieing about my experiences and opinion of a Dana 35 to a bunch of guys that I don't even know? Breaking a dana 35 doesnt really earn me any cool points. Your funny.
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #78
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
You didnt do very well in reading comprhesion did you? Don't feel bad, I'm not the best speller (as has been pointed out)

Look at what you just quoted, I never said I broke a S35. I stated that I wasted money on a Super 35 kit.

Is your only argument for a S35 is that I'm lieing? Thats great! why would I lie and what do I have to gain by lieing about my experiences and opinion of a Dana 35 to a bunch of guys that I don't even know? Breaking a dana 35 doesnt really earn me any cool points. Your funny.
because any ******* with a heavy foot can break a D35c. It takes a special kind of retard to break a Super 35.

Last edited by never monday; 07-21-2010 at 07:01 PM..
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #79
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
because any ******* with a heavy foot can break a D35c. It takes a special kind retard to break a Super 35.
Bingo!

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #80
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I found a guy selling a rear axle out of a '99 explorer for $90! I would have to drive 200 miles to get it and it is has 3.73 gears...should i go for it?
cbrookerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #81
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrookerd View Post
I found a guy selling a rear axle out of a '99 explorer for $90! I would have to drive 200 miles to get it and it is has 3.73 gears...should i go for it?
Only if you are willing to go to all the effort and expense it will take to get that 8.8 axle ready to install into a TJ. There is a lot of cutting, grinding, and welding to get the old brackets out and new TJ brackets in their place so it will bolt into place. Not to mention the cost of regearing it. I can't see that $90 axle costing less than $900 before it's ready to install unless you knw how to do all or much of that on your own.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #82
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Last 8.8 I setup for a TJ was ready to bolt in for less than $400. The guy that I set it up for didnt have any where near $900 in it.
Unread 07-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #83
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Last 8.8 I setup for a TJ was ready to bolt in for less than $400. The guy that I set it up for didnt have any where near $900 in it.
Nice, let me guess. Already had the gears he wanted in it, or you set them up for him? You know how to weld? You made your own brackets?

Now I want a show of hands from the rest of you guys who can:

1. Set-up your own gears?
2. Weld?
3. Fab your own brackets?

Ok, how many of you put your hands up? Only a couple of you? Thought so.

If I found an 8.8 with 4.10 gears in it for $200, I could have it in my Jeep for $250.

BUT the majority of the people out here would have to have it built by a professional. From the gears, to welding the brackets that they bought off of a website.

I am a fan of the 8.8, for the guy who can do the work himself...its a great upgrade if you can build it yourself, otherwise it costs as much as the s35 to do correctly.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #84
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Is it already pulled, or will you have to do that? If you have to do it, do you have the tools and know-how to get it done?

You've got 3.07 gears which means not only will you need to regear the front, but you'd need a whole new carrier as well.

I also have no idea what the best ratio is for the 32rh on 33's. I think 3.73 may actually work alright, though IIRC 4.11 might be preferable? Someone else would have to say for sure.

By the way, fill out you profile with technical data whenever possible. Under transmission it just says "Auto" which isn't good enough...
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #85
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Brackets where bought, not built. The owner had around $700+- in the 8.8 swap. I didnt know the guy, so he didnt get a good buddy discount.

Even after paying someone to weld on brackets, you can still have an 8.8 for less than other options.

Don't throw the gears up like it's an added expience that only applies to the 8.8. The gears are an expience across the board regardless if you go with an 8.8/44/ or S35(gear setup is a must regardless if you regear). UNLESS you are content with 4.10 gears and find a Rubi 44 or an 8.8 or do not need a gear change and can just match your 3.55, 3.73, 4.10. Since budget is allways such a factor, the 8.8 will allow you to match your gears your currently running so you can put off the cost of a complete regear untill the buget can increase and to avoid a wasted setup fee (Installing S35 without regearing) If a S35 is an option, the plans must be to stay in the 33"-35" tire range. In that case 4.10s will work(unless your packin a 4 banger). They wouldnt be ideal for 35's, but when you want to upgrade on a budget, it's not that big of a sacrifice. In that case, going with the 8.8 will save you setup costs. Disc brakes are a no cost gain for it. How much will it cost to swap the 35 to disc?

Consider all aspects of all the options. there isn't 1 option that is right or better for everyone. Look at what your getting without a biased eye and get some actuall prices of labor and parts that YOU can get.
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #86
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Brackets where bought, not built. The owner had around $700+- in the 8.8 swap. I didnt know the guy, so he didnt get a good buddy discount.

Even after paying someone to weld on brackets, you can still have an 8.8 for less than other options.

Don't throw the gears up like it's an added expience that only applies to the 8.8. The gears are an expience across the board regardless if you go with an 8.8/44/ or S35(gear setup is a must regardless if you regear). UNLESS you are content with 4.10 gears and find a Rubi 44 or an 8.8 or do not need a gear change and can just match your 3.55, 3.73, 4.10. Since budget is allways such a factor, the 8.8 will allow you to match your gears your currently running so you can put off the cost of a complete regear untill the buget can increase and to avoid a wasted setup fee (Installing S35 without regearing) If a S35 is an option, the plans must be to stay in the 33"-35" tire range. In that case 4.10s will work(unless your packin a 4 banger). They wouldnt be ideal for 35's, but when you want to upgrade on a budget, it's not that big of a sacrifice. In that case, going with the 8.8 will save you setup costs. Disc brakes are a no cost gain for it. How much will it cost to swap the 35 to disc?

Consider all aspects of all the options. there isn't 1 option that is right or better for everyone. Look at what your getting without a biased eye and get some actuall prices of labor and parts that YOU can get.
a S35 can be done in the driveway by anyone with patience that can read a manual.

and, if 4.10 is such a big deal.....start with a TJ 4 banger axle set
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #87
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Didnt realize setting up gears was so easy.
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #88
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Didnt realize setting up gears was so easy.
maybe you should learn how

Install: Super35 Ox locker with AlloyUSA 30 spline shafts
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #89
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 07-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #90
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a guy down here that quoted me $200 to regear the front, and $350 to do the back including gearing and fabbing the 8.8 to fit...i supply all hardware of course....i would never go bigger than 35s as far as tires, and i will have to find my build sheet to fill out the details on my tranny...

The cost of the 8.8 is reasonable...but not "cheap" like some make it sound....since i don't weld or gear
cbrookerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aussie , d35 , dana 35 , jeep , locker , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.