Aussie Locker in D35c - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aussie Locker in D35c

Jeep Tweaks at JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 07-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #61
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
I'm not aware of any instance where anyone has broken a 27 spline Superior CCE shaft, locked, on 33's. That said...
IIRC, there was one in Canada and one in San Diego. Check with Blaine to be sure.

Unread 07-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #62
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post

said by the man with a leaf spring TJ
It had longarms at 1 point And the rear may go back to a linked suspension...... But I really don't think that should have much of an influence on weather or not an axle is worth soaking money into.

Ive broke Dana 35's with leafs and 4link suspension along with wasted the money on a Super 35 kit. Wasting money on a Dana 35 was 1 of my first lessons learned about Jeeps. That was 10 years ago, and nothings changed. The dana 35 is still not worth throwing money at.
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #63
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
Ive broke Dana 35's with leafs and 4link suspension along with wasted the money on a Super 35 kit. Wasting money on a Dana 35 was 1 of my first lessons learned about Jeeps. That was 10 years ago, and nothings changed. The dana 35 is still not worth throwing money at.
What did you break with the super 35 kit and what size tires were you on?
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #64
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It wasnt a matter of braking the S35 that made it a waste. The Jeep never got finished because of poor decisions like spending that much money on too light duty of parts to begin with. There are more suitable and stronger axle upgrades available for a fraction of the cost. It was just 1 of many bad choices made on my very first Jeep build.
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #65
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There are more suitable and stronger axle upgrades available for a fraction of the cost.
Name two.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #66
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The support the dana35/S35 gets on this site is rediculas (very comical actually). There is no aspect of a dana 35 that makes it worth the time, money, or effort to build or upgrade it.
ridiculous.

Quote:
It had longarms at 1 point And the rear may go back to a linked suspension...... But I really don't think that should have much of an influence on weather or not an axle is worth soaking money into.

Whether.

Now spelling aside (sorry, pet peeve), this site has a big love for the s35 because this isn't PBB. Pirate hates anything that isn't tons! I mean hell, they don't even like the 8.8 for anything either...it's D60, D60, D60 or rocks. (possibly 14b if you aboslutely can't find a 60)

The majority on this site will never see larger than a 35" tire, and with that in mind a super35 kit is going to perform just fine for them.

Now do you get it? If the majority of the users on this site were going to end up backhalfed and on 40s...then none of us would recommend the s35 as a temporary thing.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #67
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

^^^Coming from a dude that's beat on his S35 with 35s. S35 is a good investment if you can't find the time to prep and bolt an 8.8 into your TJ and it can stand up to the abuse.
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #68
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Name two.
Been beat to death, not really necassary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post

The majority on this site will never see larger than a 35" tire, and with that in mind a super35 kit is going to perform just fine for them.

Now do you get it? If the majority of the users on this site were going to end up backhalfed and on 40s...then none of us would recommend the s35 as a temporary thing.

If the S35 could reliably up to 35"-37" (which MANY end up running), I would give it more respect. The 35 is too unpredictable. "Now do you get it?" I really do enjoy S35 debates you can spend $1000+- to make do/ get you by with your current plans/intentions, or you can spend the same money and have room to grow.

I really don't care what anyone does, Just sharing my thoughts on the matter. As long as the OP considers all possibilities and aspects, they can make their own decision.
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #69
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If the S35 could reliably up to 35"-37" (which MANY end up running), I would give it more respect. The 35 is too unpredictable. "Now do you get it?" I really do enjoy S35 debates you can spend $1000+- to make do/ get you by with your current plans/intentions, or you can spend the same money and have room to grow.

I really don't care what anyone does, Just sharing my thoughts on the matter. As long as the OP considers all possibilities and aspects, they can make their own decision.
no one has ever claimed the S35 can handle 37's

a S35 is not "unpredictable" My kit with a Detroit was $700
Unread 07-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #70
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
no one has ever claimed the S35 can handle 37's
X2, at least no one who is knowledgeable about its capabilities. But for 35" tires, it is an entirely viable long-lived upgrade that would be fine for 99% of those who need to run 35" tires with lockers. I know some who even wheel with it in Johnson Valley which is not for the faint of heart.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #71
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Been beat to death, not really necassary.
So you can't name even one? That's not good...

Quote:
If the S35 could reliably up to 35"-37" (which MANY end up running), I would give it more respect. The 35 is too unpredictable.
The S35 can absolutely reliably handle 35" tires. There are those that run 36's with no problem (never heard of a problem with that size) and some that even run 37's with no problem, though they claim to be easy on the gas and I have never personally seen them run. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable banging on it with 37's, but I have a feeling I'd run it till it broke anyway, just to see. Replacement parts would be free under warranty, though I'd have to wait for them to arrive before I could continue (that's what the trailer's for). Anyway, the S35 is not at all unpredictable, and it's definitely capable of handling 35's without an issue, it retains the high clearance housing, and it eliminates every weak point with the D35 except the Pirate rumors of flexing tubes. I never experienced it myself, but I went ahead and threw a TnT truss on it anyway, just for the helluvit. I plan to run this axle for years to come.

Quote:
As long as the OP considers all possibilities and aspects, they can make their own decision.
You haven't even offered ONE other possibility, much less ALL of them.
Unread 07-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #72
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the Pirate rumors of flexing tubes.
The TJ's axle tubes used for both the Dana 35c and Dana 44 are cut from virtually the same exact tube stock.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #73
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Pirate crew wouldn't be happy with the D44 either

I'm not sure what "SLADE" has been doing, but I have a very hard time believing he's telling the truth when he says he ran an S35, much less that he broke it, he says nothing about what he was doing when it happened and what size tires he was running, etc.

Myself, I'm perfectly happy with my 35's. If I ever go bigger, I'm probably not going to just inch it up to 36's or 37's but hop straight to 40's or 42's, and if that happens there will be completely different axles involved and probably different everything, suspension wise.
Unread 07-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #74
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The Pirate crew wouldn't be happy with the D44 either

I'm not sure what "SLADE" has been doing, but I have a very hard time believing he's telling the truth when he says he ran an S35, much less that he broke it, he says nothing about what he was doing when it happened and what size tires he was running, etc.

Read what I wrote.... Your putting alot of words in my mouth.

Hell go back and quote where I said I broke a S35.
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #75
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Really? You don't remember? Let's get in the way-back machine!

Quote:
Ive broke Dana 35's with leafs and 4link suspension along with wasted the money on a Super 35 kit.

Tags
aussie , d35 , dana 35 , jeep , locker , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.