Aussie Locker in D35c - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aussie Locker in D35c

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #31
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorPhate View Post
I believe what hes going by is that prices on axles relative to inflation will go down therefore why spend now when you can easily spend later.

Personally I could argue with the better half and put the 8.8 in mine right now and buy a set of gears for it but I know over time the cost goes down and I'm going to wheel my D35 until it breaks at which point i'll put in my spare shafts and put in the 8.8. Why? It came with the D35 and I got the shafts for free.

So I'm basically taking the same path as this guy, I'm hardly easy on it but I do look at things and say "well If i gun it and i slip I will snap that shaft I'm 90% sure.. I'll go that way"
the cheap way isnt the right way. the guy asked for advice, hopefully he takes the good advice since he is getting some pretty good stuff. just because you're not doing it the right way doesnt mean you should suggest it to other people as i have told you before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #32
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I may just end up ordering one of the 8.8s from Complete Ford 8.8" Rear Axle Assembly Jeep TJ Ready to Bolt In Axle Swap once i save up the money....sell the aussie i got for trade....broke atm as far as jeep upgrades are concerned, so it's no big rush to make a decision.
cbrookerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #33
DivineKaos
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have to second what TJ Boomer has said.

I am hard on my vehicles. As is my friend I go wheeling with all the time. He has aussies front and rear, D30/D35 (I have one only in my D35). Both of us run 33s.

In 5 years for him, he has never broken an axle shaft, nor a ring and pinion. He pushes it hard. He doesn't go easy on the skinny pedal. Is he the exception to the rule? Possibly. But I haven't had a problem either...most of the people in our club (about 500 strong that have Jeeps)- run D35s.. I have yet to see a broken D35 axle from a 33" tire that was locked. I saw it happen only once, and that was running 39s, with a welded rear.

The key is to know the limits. Don't bounce the vehicle if your trying to get over an incline when it starts hopping its time to let off the pedal.

I unfortunately do not have an unlimited cash flow- and I can get a set of replacement shafts for about $60.

I can't get over how condescending some of you are being.

Because you say its right, makes it right? Get over yourself.
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #34
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineKaos View Post
I have to second what TJ Boomer has said.

I am hard on my vehicles. As is my friend I go wheeling with all the time. He has aussies front and rear, D30/D35 (I have one only in my D35). Both of us run 33s.

In 5 years for him, he has never broken an axle shaft, nor a ring and pinion. He pushes it hard. He doesn't go easy on the skinny pedal. Is he the exception to the rule? Possibly. But I haven't had a problem either...most of the people in our club (about 500 strong that have Jeeps)- run D35s.. I have yet to see a broken D35 axle from a 33" tire that was locked. I saw it happen only once, and that was running 39s, with a welded rear.

The key is to know the limits. Don't bounce the vehicle if your trying to get over an incline when it starts hopping its time to let off the pedal.

I unfortunately do not have an unlimited cash flow- and I can get a set of replacement shafts for about $60.

I can't get over how condescending some of you are being.

Because you say its right, makes it right? Get over yourself.
I don't get this mentality. We are condescending because we are trying to talk someone out of doing something that will potentially do more harm than good.

Sure, shafts are only $60, and your Aussie was only $250.

So that is $310 you COULD have put towards a better axle or axle kit. Then your ring and pinion goes, that's $500. So your aussie was $250, your shafts were $60 and your R&P was $500...that's $810 that could have BOUGHT you a better axle or axle kit. I don't have unlimited funds either, I build things slowly and save my money so I can do it right and NOT BREAK THINGS. I try not to be the trail liability. I don't want to be the guy everyone has to worry about. Sorry if that sounds condescending, because it isn't.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #35
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The locker i now have cost me nothing...does that not change the tune? I need to regear anyways and the guy won't charge me anymore to put the locker in...
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #36
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrookerd View Post
The locker i now have cost me nothing...does that not change the tune? I need to regear anyways and the guy won't charge me anymore to put the locker in...
to me it doesn't.
I see selling that locker and being 150-200 closer to a better axle. See the locker it's self is not the problem. The rest of the POS crap D35 carrier that the locker lives in. Plus the POS stock 1.16" dia shafts.
Unread 07-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #37
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm still considering that approach...but what about a super35 kit without a locker and then put the aussie in then? Seems like a good way to save $300 ...or just superior shafts and new ring and pinion since i need to regear anyway? I just hate to have to buy a locker instead of beefing up my d35 a bit so I could use it comfortablycomfortably
Unread 07-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #38
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, I'm still considering that approach...but what about a super35 kit without a locker and then put the aussie in then?
Won't work, the Super 35 kit from Superior Axle doesn't come with an empty 30 spline carrier, it only comes with a full case locker like an ARB, Detroit Locker, etc.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #39
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

aussie wont work with a super 35. they have 30 spline shafts.

jerry beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #40
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmmmm....then what about the upgraded chromarly shafts then?...or something else that is stronger and affordable?
Unread 07-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #41
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hmmmmm....then what about the upgraded chromarly shafts then?...or something else that is stronger and affordable?
that just buys you time.

Seriously, The other parts in the axle that surround a 27 spline Aussie are complete crap.

Get a S35 kit. You get a billet full case locker, 30 spline 1.3" dia chromolly shafts. The correct carrier split for the gears you are going to.
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #42
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

what about something like this? Alloy USA 12200 - Alloy USA Rear 27 Spline Peformance Axle Kit for 90-06 Jeep® Cherokee XJ, Wrangler YJ & TJ with Dana 35 Axle - Quadratec

obviously quadrec's prices are usually pretty steap, but even from them, this is a fairly minor investment ($300+ shipping)....new r&p for regearing to either 4.11 or 4.56, r&p for D30 up front to match, and use the free aussie in the rear....this would be a total investment of about $1200 tops including labor and would give me new gears front and rear, upgraded axle shafts in rear, and a locker....this seem like a decent move to you guys?

the 8.8 from east coast gears, built up with a locker and read to bolt in, is like $1200 on it's own, not including shipping or labor to install, and I would still need to regear the front, which would be another 400-500 bux or so....

I priced an 8.8 at a couple of junkyards around here, and they want $350 for it...then I have to get the kit and pay labor to have it built....putting the investment to around $800 or so...assuming I found one with the gear ratio I want, then I would just have to get the r&p for the d30, plus labor, so I would still be around $1300 invested....assuming I wouldn't need new brakes and **** for the junkyard 8.8....

cheapest s35 kit I could find was about $1000...then I would still have to regear...
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #43
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, I'm still considering that approach...but what about a super35 kit without a locker and then put the aussie in then? Seems like a good way to save $300 ...or just superior shafts and new ring and pinion since i need to regear anyway? I just hate to have to buy a locker instead of beefing up my d35 a bit so I could use it comfortablycomfortably
Everyone seems to be overlooking the Superior 27 Spline C-Clip Eliminator. Those USA made shafts are 27 spline and they will work with a lunchbox, and no change to your carrier or gears is necessary. And, I'm not aware of any instance where anyone has broken a 27 spline Superior CCE shaft, locked, on 33's. That said...

I agree that the carrier & ring and pinion then become the weak link in the d35 chain. So, easy on the spendy pedal is still in order..
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #44
Hrothgar
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Band wagon in full effect today I see, keep up the good work fellas.

Got autonomous thought?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepstronaut View Post
Who made you clowns pope of this dump?
Hrothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:26 AM   #45
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
Band wagon in full effect today I see, keep up the good work fellas.
?

Tags
aussie , d35 , dana 35 , jeep , locker , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.