Aussie Locker in D35c - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aussie Locker in D35c

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 07-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #16
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The sky won't fall the minute you install a locker into a Dana 35c but it won't be long before the below happens. I've even helped to get guys off the trail with busted Dana 35c axle shafts without even a locker installed. A locker easily doubles the amount of stress an individual axle shaft normally sees which is why they snap at the worst possible time.

And trust me, busted Dana 35c axle shafts are the rule, not the exception, after installing a locker into a stock Dana 35c axle housing.

But you've heard our advice and choose to ignore it so we've done all we can do. Go for it.

dana-35cbreakage.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #17
DoctorPhate
XJ Cherokee 

Locker in a D35 would be ok PROVIDING you are not wheeling hard and you have stockISH tiresize. I have a lincoln locked 35 running 33s and I'm just waiting for it to explode.

I agree doom and gloom is the usual response to this type of stuff but after being asked the same question a dozen times in a week they get annoyed with writing out a full length intelligent response and they just say "dont do it, D35 plus anything = boom"

In actuality you CAN run 35s on a D35, but with high risk. you CAN put a locker in a D35 however a lunchbox wouldnt be my first choice and you CAN lincoln lock a 35 and run 33s like I am but I wouldnt. However if your wife wont let you spend money on an 8.8(even though I got mine free) until the D35 breaks, then do as I did and lincoln lock the sucker and be prepared to take your DD to work when something goes wrong.
DoctorPhate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #18
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

When it breaks, post a pic up on here:

Another broken Jeep Dana 35c Rear-End.
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #19
TJBoomer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Not that you likely care at this point but there are a lot more knowledgeable Jeepers warning you against installing a locker into your stock Dana 35c axle than the few that say go for it. I made that mistake years ago and it grenaded on the street.
Sorry every one can't be as knowledgeable as some of you are but the fact still remains that some of us can only make do with what we have and what our budget will allow. Yes, my D35 will break one of these days but with the superior axle shafts I've been able to hold it together.

The pictures on this thread that show what can happen are very true pictures but how were those drivers in the pics actually driving their jeeps. Maybe they were a little to rough on the gas pedal? Had they installed upgraded axles? Did they know their limitations and exercise caution? Were they manual or automatic transmissions? A lot factors come into play.

So far my D35 has held up pretty well but I think I know its limitations and stay away from areas that I think would test the D35 past those limits.

Aussie lock it? Personnally I say yes. Up grade the axle shafts as well? Yes, definetly. Exercise lots of caution? Most assuredly with the idea that it will break. So carry extra axle shafts by all means.

And when mine breaks, I will be the first to post some pics for all to see.
TJBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #20
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i will continue to listen to what ive learned here and elsewhere.."go ahead and do it"hehehehehahahahahaheheheheh,,we will all have the last laugh in the end.
i have the 30 spline superior axles for my d35 but wont do nothing till i come across a selectable locker to put with the axles myself..and may never do that since i have a 8.8 im also building but going very slow..
good luck and hope ya have your ear plugs in when ya hear the KA POW,even tho it may be yrs if your lucky.
but what do i know,im building long arms and waiting on gerald to call me so he can thankfully take my hard earned money lol.
and to think im still runnin 3.07 gears and 35,s..i love my front detroit also.

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #21
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBoomer View Post
Sorry every one can't be as knowledgeable as some of you are but the fact still remains that some of us can only make do with what we have and what our budget will allow. Yes, my D35 will break one of these days but with the superior axle shafts I've been able to hold it together.

I am not trying to be an *** by any means, BUT what will your budget allow when you snap an axle shaft and/or take out your ring and pinion gears?

If you can't afford to run a suitable axle set-up that can take the added stress of a locker and large tires, then maybe you should have spent that $250 elsewhere (or put it towards a better axle)...Just sayin'

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #22
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i love how every one endorsing it says "be easy on it" or "if you dont wheel anything to difficult". if you're not doing anything difficult why take a chance locking the 35. if you have to be easy on it wheres the fun in that, unless you enjoy scenic by passes or riding with someone else. the dana 35 is to much of a crap shoot to risk it. piggy backing off apex, if you cant afford to run it properly in the first place what are you gonna do when you cause 3 times as much damage as an aussie wold cost brand new. lock the 30, leave the 35 alone till you can afford to do it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #23
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

let me re-iterrate one point....i have the aussie locker sitting on my porch right now and it didn't cost me anything....i traded some stock rims and fender flares for it....i haven't decided yet what i'm going to do....i'm thinking of saving up some cash and doing axle shaft upgrades at the same time....also still looking into an 8.8 or d44....luckily (wierd verbage in this situation) i don't have the cash to do anything but talk about what i want to do right now...so i have time to make a decision...

thanks again for all of the advice.....there's really no need imo in the "do whatever you want but don't come crying" attitude ....
cbrookerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #24
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, so you got the aussie locker for free. We know that. It didn't cost you anything, but breaking your dana 35 will. Sell it for some cash.
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #25
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrookerd View Post
let me re-iterrate one point....i have the aussie locker sitting on my porch right now and it didn't cost me anything....i traded some stock rims and fender flares for it....i haven't decided yet what i'm going to do....i'm thinking of saving up some cash and doing axle shaft upgrades at the same time....also still looking into an 8.8 or d44....luckily (wierd verbage in this situation) i don't have the cash to do anything but talk about what i want to do right now...so i have time to make a decision...

thanks again for all of the advice.....there's really no need imo in the "do whatever you want but don't come crying" attitude ....
i know you got it for free, doesnt mean the axle will fix it self for free. just trying to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:23 PM   #26
DoctorPhate
XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
i know you got it for free, doesnt mean the axle will fix it self for free. just trying to help.
I believe what hes going by is that prices on axles relative to inflation will go down therefore why spend now when you can easily spend later.

Personally I could argue with the better half and put the 8.8 in mine right now and buy a set of gears for it but I know over time the cost goes down and I'm going to wheel my D35 until it breaks at which point i'll put in my spare shafts and put in the 8.8. Why? It came with the D35 and I got the shafts for free.

So I'm basically taking the same path as this guy, I'm hardly easy on it but I do look at things and say "well If i gun it and i slip I will snap that shaft I'm 90% sure.. I'll go that way"
DoctorPhate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #27
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The problem with such a cavalier attitude with axle shaft breakage from running a known weak axle with big tires or a locker is the inconvenience you cause to everyone else on the trail with you. Unexpected breakage is one thing and people on the trail with you won't mind in the least. Most will jump in to help.

But when you're on the trail and you hear some bonehead broke down ahead of you with a locked bone-stock Dana 35 and big tires, everyone gets pissed because it's common knowledge that such a configuration is a breakage waiting to happen. Even with spare parts, people have to wait on you and often, you block everyone behind you if the trail is narrow and people can't get around you.

So a few will brag they don't care if they break or that they carry spare D35c axle shafts but they don't realize how much that attitude affects everyone else on the trail. People will help a bonehead fix something that shouldn't have been on the trail in the first place but they don't like it.

So there are two ways to look at everything... the self-centered way or how will it affect everyone else. Again, unexpected breakage is one thing but breaking something that others advise against running in the first place because it is KNOWN to break is quite another.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #28
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry said it the best, MULTIPLE times. I suggest you follow his and everyone else's advice in here.
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #29
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I can totally understand the "budget" stuff, but there are plenty of guys on here that have been there and done that and have the pics to prove it. I'm too tight to dump big money in a full tilt rearend too. All you need is some patience and you WILL find some smoking deals out there on upgrades that are proven. I picked up a set of Superior Evolution 30-spline axles for $100 shipped on craigslist. Two days later I picked up a 30-spline Detroit locker for $220 shipped. So basically I have $320 in something that is reliable. The only thing I really have to worry about now is breaking the ring and pinion and that's unlikely on 33's.
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #30
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperbluelx View Post
I can totally understand the "budget" stuff, but there are plenty of guys on here that have been there and done that and have the pics to prove it. I'm too tight to dump big money in a full tilt rearend too. All you need is some patience and you WILL find some smoking deals out there on upgrades that are proven. I picked up a set of Superior Evolution 30-spline axles for $100 shipped on craigslist. Two days later I picked up a 30-spline Detroit locker for $220 shipped. So basically I have $320 in something that is reliable. The only thing I really have to worry about now is breaking the ring and pinion and that's unlikely on 33's.
I'm still trying to break my ring and pinion on 35s. FWIW.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aussie , d35 , dana 35 , jeep , locker , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.