Aussie Locker in D35c - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aussie Locker in D35c

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 07-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Aussie Locker in D35c

Alright, here is my situation....I am getting an Aussie Locker for a D35c for trade for some of my old stock parts I have laying around....therefore, it is basically free....

What I'm wondering is this....I know I have read several posts stating that putting a locker into a D35c is a waste due to the weakness of the D35, but in the case of getting one for free.....? I need to regear as well, so I was thinking of just regearing and having the locker put in then. What do you guys think?

As far as offroading goes, I do go offroading, but where I live is all mud and clay...no rocks....so would the D35c with the locker suffice until I decided to do an 8.8 upgrade in the future?

cbrookerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

locking a stock dana 35 is not worth it imo. this coming from someone who has blown up multiple 35's on 33 inch and under tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
TJBoomer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Have had an Aussie in my D35 for the past 6 years with 33" tires. I have an automatic transmission and up graded from 3:07 gears to 3:73 gears. I also upgraded the axle shafts and have not had any problems. I just go easy on the "Go" pedal and the axle seems to hold up just fine. (knock on wood) Now I'm jinxed. Just in case , though, I also carry extra axle shafts and air down when I go wheeling on the rocks. Seems to keep axle stress down to a minimum with an automatic and airing down. Just my $.02 worth.
TJBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Even though it's free, I wouldn't install it. The scary thing about mud and clay is that it will spin your tires. On certain instances, a tire will catch on and get traction immediately - this type of situation increases the probability of the locked d35 breaking.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]

Last edited by IslandTJ; 07-18-2010 at 04:37 PM..
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

how about if i upgraded the shafts at the same time i install the locker?
Unread 07-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I always strongly recommend against installing any kind of a locker into a stock Dana 35c axle. That goes double for a lunchbox locker (with the No-Slip being the lone exception) because when installed into the rear axle, lunchbox lockers are notoriously poorly behaved on the street. They are fine in the front axle in 2wd but not in the rear if your Jeep is a daily driver.

So even if that Aussie is free, I wouldn't install it. What I would do is take the free Aussie, sell it to someone who won't care when it breaks an axle shaft, and take that $$$ and buy a front lunchbox locker instead.

Even if you upgraded to a set of good quality alloy axle shafts, that won't fix the fact that a rear mounted Aussie, Lockright, or EZ-Locker is very poorly behaved on the street.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
TJBoomer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I always strongly recommend against installing any kind of a locker into a stock Dana 35c axle. That goes double for a lunchbox locker (with the No-Slip being the lone exception) because when installed into the rear axle, lunchbox lockers are notoriously poorly behaved on the street. They are fine in the front axle in 2wd but not in the rear if your Jeep is a daily driver.

So even if that Aussie is free, I wouldn't install it. What I would do is take the free Aussie, sell it to someone who won't care when it breaks an axle shaft, and take that $$$ and buy a front lunchbox locker instead.

Even if you upgraded to a set of good quality alloy axle shafts, that won't fix the fact that a rear mounted Aussie, Lockright, or EZ-Locker is very poorly behaved on the street.
Sorry, but I have "lunchbox" lockers front and rear and have not experienced any "poor behavior" on the street. Driving on the street with the lunchbox lockers has never been a problem. The jeep is a DD both to and from work as well as highway use. Even during inclement weather including ice storms the lockers have performed without incident.

There are those of us who are unable to afford the money required to upgrade the axle because it doesn't end with the purchase of say for instance a ford 8.8 for $200 - $300. Then one needs to spend money on the mounts... then one needs to know how to set up those mounts... then one needs to know how to weld or find someone who does know how to weld properly or pay the price to find a good welder... Then one needs to purchase the extra parts/cables to properly tie into the brake system... Proper Gears? Add another $500. All said and done it will have cost, I would guess, around $600 - $800 for a basic Ford 8.8

This can go on and on and money can be spent to even upgrade the 8.8 with other desires not to mention insuring proper gears but the point is we don't all have the resources and finances to take on such a venture like some people do. But to generalize statements because of what one believes may be right without actually researching and knowing does no one any service.

6 years I've been wheeling with a D35/D30 with 33" tires and lunchbox lockers in both with no problems as mentioned above. I have yet to break an axle and have enjoyed many fun filled days of wheeling. Just need to be easy on the gas pedal.

I'm not saying a D35 won't break but one does need to know it's limitations.
TJBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

tjboomer, that was probably one of the most helpful posts I've seen on these forums since I started trolling them around 6 months ago. I have always loved all of the responses, as most are extremely helpful and informative. Your post differed in one way....it was geared toward the approach that many of us Jeepers have.....money IS a MAJOR object....I checked into the 8.8, and it was going to cost me about $800 just to get one and have it put in....not including regearing my front to match it....that was going to end up being about a $1400+ project before it was all said and done....

I think the reality is, there are tons of people out there that are on the lighter side of offroading....we don't all go crawling around in the rocks....we don't all try to see what we can get into and out of...some of us just like to ride around in the dirt.

I went and picked up the aussie today and have talked to a mechanic about doing the install and regearing....am going to go to 4.10s and put the aussie in the stock D35 for now. At some point down the road, I may do a super35 kit if I see the need...but at this point, I think some of the posts on these forums have made me doubt the capabilities of my Jeep way too much....it IS a JEEP right?
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not that you likely care at this point but there are a lot more knowledgeable Jeepers warning you against installing a locker into your stock Dana 35c axle than the few that say go for it. I made that mistake years ago and it grenaded on the street.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No no no guys, let him install it and then he can come back here and cry when he blows it. A guy told him what he wanted to hear and that's what he's going by.

OP: remember to take pictures and video because it will happen.
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrookerd View Post
how about if i upgraded the shafts at the same time i install the locker?
that's called a Super35 kit
Unread 07-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
that's called a Super35 kit
Not necessarily, there are plenty of cheap imported "alloy" 27 spline axle shafts around. The only problem is they are probably barely stronger than the OE axle shaft. The true Super 35 kit, which is only made by Superior Axle, comes with high quality alloy 30 spline shafts and locker.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 07-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #13
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not necessarily, there are plenty of cheap imported "alloy" 27 spline axle shafts around. The only problem is they are probably barely stronger than the OE axle shaft. The true Super 35 kit, which is only made by Superior Axle, comes with high quality alloy 30 spline shafts and locker.
glad you clarified that Jerry. I was being too subtle
Unread 07-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
cbrookerd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not that you likely care at this point but there are a lot more knowledgeable Jeepers warning you against installing a locker into your stock Dana 35c axle than the few that say go for it. I made that mistake years ago and it grenaded on the street.
First of all, I appreciate all of the advice you guys have given. I don't mean to sound otherwise....what I took from TJBoomer's post wasn't that he "said what I wanted to hear"....he told his experience, which was that the sky will not fall the minute you put a locker in a D35....

I am not a mechanic....I am a technology professional...I know that in my industry, there are many things that we strongly recommend against doing, while in reality, they can be done with little issues, but it is not recommended as it will create unnecessary risks...

If I asked you whether Widget A will work with Widget B, and you respond with "it's not recommended"....that doesn't really answer my question....the fact is, Widget A will work just fine with Widget B, but it may create some potential problem areas that you would need to keep in mind and be aware of.

When I first asked this forum about running 33s on stock 3.07 gears, some of you guys made it seem like I wouldn't be able to keep up with traffic on the highway. I heavily considered not going to 33s because I was met with a "don't run less than 3.73s with 33s" pretty strongly....the reality is, my jeep runs ok with the 3.07s....do I want to upgrade it now?...yes....do I HAVE to upgrade in order to function? NO. Same things seems to be the case for the approach alot of people on here have about a 4" lift and the need for an SYE....the reality is, you don't HAVE to have an SYE if you do the T-case drop that most kits come with....but if you ask advice on here, you get the doom and gloom response of "don't run 4" without the SYE"....
Unread 07-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrookerd View Post
First of all, I appreciate all of the advice you guys have given. I don't mean to sound otherwise....what I took from TJBoomer's post wasn't that he "said what I wanted to hear"....he told his experience, which was that the sky will not fall the minute you put a locker in a D35....

I am not a mechanic....I am a technology professional...I know that in my industry, there are many things that we strongly recommend against doing, while in reality, they can be done with little issues, but it is not recommended as it will create unnecessary risks...

If I asked you whether Widget A will work with Widget B, and you respond with "it's not recommended"....that doesn't really answer my question....the fact is, Widget A will work just fine with Widget B, but it may create some potential problem areas that you would need to keep in mind and be aware of.

When I first asked this forum about running 33s on stock 3.07 gears, some of you guys made it seem like I wouldn't be able to keep up with traffic on the highway. I heavily considered not going to 33s because I was met with a "don't run less than 3.73s with 33s" pretty strongly....the reality is, my jeep runs ok with the 3.07s....do I want to upgrade it now?...yes....do I HAVE to upgrade in order to function? NO. Same things seems to be the case for the approach alot of people on here have about a 4" lift and the need for an SYE....the reality is, you don't HAVE to have an SYE if you do the T-case drop that most kits come with....but if you ask advice on here, you get the doom and gloom response of "don't run 4" without the SYE"....
dude...you compromise too much and take unnecessary risk.

A lunchbox locker in a stock 35 is asking to have your rear wheel pass you. Listen to the advise of experience....not because it will mechanically fit together.

Tags
aussie , d35 , dana 35 , jeep , locker , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.