aussie locker advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > aussie locker advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Reply
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
hulud44
Senior Member
 
hulud44's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LongIsland
Posts: 637
aussie locker advice

So i purchased an Aussie locker today. i went to drop off a jack at a friends house and he just happened to have a pair of front and rear lockers still in boxes never installed. I couldn't pass it up. So I picked up the D30 locker. My jeep is my DD but that will change in the very near future. and I don't see the point of locking a D35 that I wont have for much longer anyway.

I was hoping to hear about some people experiences with there D30 Aussie lockers. Likes, Dislikes, disasters, installs. Ive don't every mod on my jeep but have never taken apart the gears and i am a little nervous. I appreciated any info you could throw my way. Thanks

__________________
2000 Wrangler/ Waggy44/ 8.8/ 4:88/ Locked/ 37'' BPR/ 3-4 link/ 102" WB
NYCJC
USMC
hulud44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
wktj01
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: west ky
Posts: 21
This was one of the first things that i did to my jeep and i had no mechanical experiance. the hardest part for me was gettin the carrier out. i drive mine on the highway alot and the only thing that i notice about it is the clicking when you turn.
wktj01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
RaggedOleMan
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: , Sane's Ville
Posts: 2,339
Here's my install write-up on the Aussie in a d30. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/au...ll-d30-989823/

The modification provided a very effective off road improvement for me. Regarding it on the highway in 2wd? Absolutely invisible. I enjoy mine and would recommend it to anyone...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
sarmeier
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tijeras, NM
Posts: 49
put an Aussie locker in my D30 about 2 years ago. I did myself without any problems. I,d rate my mechanic experience as moderate. I had never worked on a diff but followed the instructions and several install write ups I found on forums. Search for "aussie D30 install". So far I have no regrets. I live in the mountains, ie snow country, and haven't had any significant problems in the winter. You will lose a little turning radius, on some really tight switchbacks have to do "K" turns or take it out of 4 wheel drive if going down hill.

Just follow the instructions and make sure to measure the clearances.

In a nutshell I say go for it
sarmeier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Manteno, IL
Posts: 1,166
Theres absolutely nothing to dislike. Its a must have offroading, or at least some kinda locker. I installed it myself, its super easy. Its cheap, super easy to install, seems pretty stout and unnoticable on the road (havent been in the snow with it yet....). Love it. Only time I feel it is when I'm like full lock turned on dry pavement, I just take it easy a little. But offroad it works great, I was following 2 friends in TJ's with 35's in my jeep with 31's and the aussie.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
hulud44
Senior Member
 
hulud44's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LongIsland
Posts: 637
thats exactly what I needed to hear.... cant wait to install it. thanks
__________________
2000 Wrangler/ Waggy44/ 8.8/ 4:88/ Locked/ 37'' BPR/ 3-4 link/ 102" WB
NYCJC
USMC
hulud44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
PistolPete99
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wisconsin, WI
Posts: 70
the front aussie as everyone else said was a breeze to install the instructions are pretty good and if you follow them its a piece of cake. ive had mine for two years with no problems, the single best upgrade i did to my jeep other than the lift hahaha

ph
__________________
4 inch RC, 33s, 4.56, d30 front aussie locker, F8.8 Detroit, AA sye complete with a woody :), warn sliders
PistolPete99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford, NC
Posts: 10,829
I (with a big help from flatlander757) just installed mine at the beginning of august and installed one last weekend in my buddy's (laxnyj18) YJ d30. Stupid easy install and I love mine on and offroad. Onroad in 2wd all you hear is it ratcheting, just letting you know it's there. No dislikes here, and I haven't read any dislikes about it either.

I say go for it!
__________________
SUPPORT THE TROOPS

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Border Dave
Got Sand?
 
Border Dave's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktj01 View Post
This was one of the first things that i did to my jeep and i had no mechanical experiance. the hardest part for me was gettin the carrier out.
X2. I helped a friend put a locker similar to an Aussie in the front of his TJ a while back. The carrier was really a bear to get out. We tried prybars, but the space in there is very limited. We ended up using a ratcheting strap. We attached one end to the bumper and the other around the carrier and cranked down on it. When it popped out, I wasn't quite ready for it, so it hit the ground and damaged one of the bearings. Don't let that happen to you, whatever technique you use. It probably should have used a case spreader, but I was advised against it.
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #10
RaggedOleMan
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: , Sane's Ville
Posts: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
I (with a big help from flatlander757) just installed mine at the beginning of august and installed one last weekend in my buddy's (laxnyj18) YJ d30. Stupid easy install and I love mine on and offroad. Onroad in 2wd all you hear is it ratcheting, just letting you know it's there. No dislikes here, and I haven't read any dislikes about it either.

I say go for it!
Only heard mine ratchet twice, and both times were off road.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford, NC
Posts: 10,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
Only heard mine ratchet twice, and both times were off road.
I guess it's different for some people. I hear it when turning...i don't mind it at all, i just know its there. It'll quiet down once it's all broken in I'm sure. I'm gonna swap out the gear oil from the 85-140 that's in there now to 80-90w. I hear mine occasionally offroad too. A guy I wheeled with in virginia beach a couple weeks ago has one up front and you hear it ratchet around turns as well.
__________________
SUPPORT THE TROOPS

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
2006_Sport
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sherrills Ford, NC
Posts: 10,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
X2. I helped a friend put a locker similar to an Aussie in the front of his TJ a while back. The carrier was really a bear to get out. We tried prybars, but the space in there is very limited. We ended up using a ratcheting strap. We attached one end to the bumper and the other around the carrier and cranked down on it. When it popped out, I wasn't quite ready for it, so it hit the ground and damaged one of the bearings. Don't let that happen to you, whatever technique you use. It probably should have used a case spreader, but I was advised against it.
I put a wrench around one of the ring gear bolts at the bottom of the ring gear and twisted the front DS with a long screwdriver until the carrier popped out.
__________________
SUPPORT THE TROOPS

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #13
RaggedOleMan
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: , Sane's Ville
Posts: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
I guess it's different for some people. I hear it when turning...i don't mind it at all, i just know its there. It'll quiet down once it's all broken in I'm sure. I'm gonna swap out the gear oil from the 85-140 that's in there now to 80-90w. I hear mine occasionally offroad too. A guy I wheeled with in virginia beach a couple weeks ago has one up front and you hear it ratchet around turns as well.
Is your climate a bit colder there in Maryland than mine here in Washington (west side/Seattle/Tacoma)? I use 85-140 with good results.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #14
TinkerAB
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 409
I Have an aussie locker in my dana 30. I can only hear it ratched when driving in circles specificly listening for it. The locker is awesome no issues at all. Only part I dont care for is it makes it harder to take sharp turns in 4wd. Sometimes I need to go back to 2wd to make a turn now. But this will be the same with any front locker besides selectables.
__________________
97 TJ Locked Front and Rear on 35's
TinkerAB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #15
RaggedOleMan
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: , Sane's Ville
Posts: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam52604 View Post
I Have an aussie locker in my dana 30. I can only hear it ratched when driving in circles specificly listening for it. The locker is awesome no issues at all. Only part I dont care for is it makes it harder to take sharp turns in 4wd. Sometimes I need to go back to 2wd to make a turn now. But this will be the same with any front locker besides selectables.

That wasn't really an issue for me on the tight switchback trails especially when going uphill. Downhill is another story. I recently added a PowerTrax No-Slip/Locker to the rear, and now doing switchbacks downhill is much more difficult. That was the first indication to me that selectable lockers, as opposed to lunchbox lockers, would be a better choice the next time around.

That said, I don't regret my front/rear lunchboxes one iota. They're perfect for me at my stage of experience and most of the trails I frequent.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
d30 , dana 30 , locker , aussie , advice

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.