Aussie Install D30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aussie Install D30

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Aussie Install D30

This installation was in a 2005 Jeep Tj (X) with a d30. The installation was done by William Magnusson (Bill) in Buckley, WA (253.891.8332). The Aussie came from Northridge 4x4, (360-340-0282). Dave/Northridge is great...

EDIT: It's worth noting that I also bought new thrust washers ($1.99 cents each at 4WheelParts.com they were $16 + EACH at the dealer...) and a new cross shaft ($30 +/-) from the Jeep dealer. Cheap insurance from my point of view...

EDIT II: I was really surprised to see how much dirt & dried mud there was on the axle shafts and in the tube. I underestimated the results of driving though water crossings and large mud puddles...The new axle seals will pay for themselves immediately. Bill also checked the condition of the u-joints, knuckles, unit bearing(s) etc. All were good...LAST, I had planned on doing the install myself all along. I read everything I could find on d30's, Aussie's etc. and got an awful lot from Stu Olson's site. But when it was time for the fat lady to sing, I weaseled out handed the job to Bill, and I'm glad I did. I learned so much...

I can't say enough good stuff about Bill, either. He allowed me to watch, ask questions and take photo's as he worked. Unfortunately there aren't any photo's of the actual Aussie! Nonetheless, most all of the steps are in the pictures below.

We also installed outer axle seals (Superior/from 4Wheel Drive Hardware) as part of this project.

First he jacked her up and supported the front axle tube with jack stands. Pulled the diff cover and drained it.

img_0049.jpg  

Last edited by RaggedOleMan; 04-07-2010 at 01:12 AM..
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Step two

The next step was to decide whether or not to remove the carrier. Bill decided it would make the installation much smoother/easier so he did. Some say it isn't necessary to remove the carrier, but, in our case we did. Had to drop the drivers side of the tie rod to make the job easier.
img_0051.jpg   img_0055.jpg  

Last edited by RaggedOleMan; 03-12-2010 at 11:34 AM..
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Third step

At this point Bill removed the carrier from the ring gear and installed the Aussie into it, then bolted the carrier back up to the ring gear. It was ready to be installed back into the d30.

But first, he pulled the axle shafts, used a brush on a stick to knock all the dirt and debris off the inner axle tube walls, then covered the pinion with a rag and used an air hose inserted at the diff/pumpkin to blow the debris out of the tubes.

Next he used a Scotch-Brite pad to remove the old RTV from the d30 housing and from the diff cover.
img_0057.jpg   img_0058.jpg  

Last edited by RaggedOleMan; 03-12-2010 at 03:26 PM..
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Next step

Bill installed the axle seals per the manufacturers (Superior) instructions. Note the zerk is pointed "up". After the seals were installed, Bill took the axle shafts and cleaned them off thoroughly with a wire brush, then over to the bench grinders wire wheel and finished the cleaning. This was probably the worst part of the job...

Next he re-installed the carrier with the new Aussie in it and torqued it to spec.

Last, he greased the ends of the axles and very carefully inserted them into the axle tubes. all that was left was to reinstall the unit bearing, brake caliper, dust shield and wheels and go for a test drive! It was perfect...
img_0059.jpg   img_0060.jpg   img_0053.jpg  

Last edited by RaggedOleMan; 04-07-2010 at 01:16 AM..
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

you'll like the aussie...made a big difference offroad with mine!
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

purdy axle seals
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do you notice it on road? Do you hear the clicking?
Tyler99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

on road its barely noticeable....just in tight turns like turning into a parking spot or something like that.

off-road its amazing for the price.
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
telkinsjr
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Getting ready to head to the garage and installl mine. This should be fun. Thanks for the pics!
04 LJ: 4.0, auto, 4.88s, Aussie Locker front, Trac-loc rear, 3" BDS lift, Rock Krawler HD steering, 1" BL, 35" KM2s, MCE Flattie Fenders, Olympic A/T Slider front and rear bumpers, A/T rock rails, XRC8 winch, onboard CO2, Hummer-style intake, Hi-lift, HighRock tire carrier, CB, Bluetooth, Monstaliner
telkinsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #10
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler99TJ View Post
Do you notice it on road? Do you hear the clicking?
No, absolutely not when in 2 wheel drive. It's another story when in 4-wheel drive. Engaged in 4wd the ice & snow might be an issue. But in 2wd you won't even notice it's there. That's because (I think...) that the Aussie responds to torque (& resistance ??) and when the axle isn't "engaged", there is no torque to it. So, when driving in 2wd on the highway there's no crummy manners.

EDIT: Presumably the same goes for any automatic locker up front???

Last edited by RaggedOleMan; 04-07-2010 at 01:17 AM..
Unread 03-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
No, absolutely not when in 2 wheel drive. It's another story when in 4-wheel drive. Engaged in 4wd the ice & snow would be an issue. But in 2wd you won't even notice it's there. That's because (I think...) that the Aussie responds to torque (& resistance ??) and when the axle isn't "engaged", there is no torque to it. So, when driving in 2wd on the highway there's no crummy manners.
Enjoy your Aussie! And even in the snow and ice, it isn't as big of a deal as a lot of people make it out to be.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
Enjoy your Aussie! And even in the snow and ice, it isn't as big of a deal as a lot of people make it out to be.
I sure plan to! Been running open since I bought it new in 05, so this is a mega-treat to me...

Hey, I see you're running 35's on that d30 with an Aussie. Ever break an axle up front? Or did you upgrade the axle shafts up front? Didn't see anything in your profile about axle shafts.
Unread 03-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
EaglesSJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
I sure plan to! Been running open since I bought it new in 05, so this is a mega-treat to me...

Hey, I see you're running 35's on that d30 with an Aussie. Ever break an axle up front? Or did you upgrade the axle shafts up front? Didn't see anything in your profile about axle shafts.
I upgraded mine to chromo shafts at the same time as installing my spartan locker just to be on the safe side with 35's

Unread 03-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
gotmudnj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ive been running the aussie locker in my d30 in 2wd i pin hard i still get a bit of clunking nothing major. just real slow when trying to make a complete circle pinned...other than that its been amazing...good luck with yours....congrats lol...
Unread 03-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

great write up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.