Aussie Auto locker/Factory LSD/Detroit TruTrac - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aussie Auto locker/Factory LSD/Detroit TruTrac

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #46
PackDude
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It's good to know the Aussie is so durable on the trail and long lived. And you're right, it should be pretty cheap and easy to replace if it does wear out.

If it wasn't my only vehicle, I'd probably have no doubts about keeping it in there -- just want decent on pavement manners with better-than-stock traction off pavement. Suppose I could just keep it the way it is and deal with the quirks...

Unread 07-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #47
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackDude View Post
It's good to know the Aussie is so durable on the trail and long lived. And you're right, it should be pretty cheap and easy to replace if it does wear out.

If it wasn't my only vehicle, I'd probably have no doubts about keeping it in there -- just want decent on pavement manners with better-than-stock traction off pavement. Suppose I could just keep it the way it is and deal with the quirks...
To get what you desire, you really only have two choices, install a selectible locker like an ARB, or install the No-slip. Both are a lot more money than an Aussie, but they won't have the usual locker quirks on pavement. It all gets down to if the extra $$ to better road manners is worth it to you or not. Neat thing about Jeeps, is you build them to suit your personal needs.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #48
PackDude
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Are you talking about the PowerTrax No-Slip here? I don't think I even saw that when I was looking at options. It looks to have some of the advanced features of a Detroit Locker but fits inside the carrier, and seems to be less noisy. Maybe I'll replace the Aussie with that, instead of the TrueTrac. Thanks for pointing it out!
Unread 07-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #49
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Are you talking about the PowerTrax No-Slip here? I don't think I even saw that when I was looking at options. It looks to have some of the advanced features of a Detroit Locker but fits inside the carrier, and seems to be less noisy. Maybe I'll replace the Aussie with that, instead of the TrueTrac. Thanks for pointing it out!
Yes on the No-slip. From my understanding, the cost is a bunch more, but the road manners are much better. As I said before, it all gets down to how much $$ you want to spend for better road manners.
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #50
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Personally, a LSD has no place on the trails. However, they are good for better traction on a DD.
My dual TrueTracs appear to disagree with you, at least for trails here in the Pacific Northwest . I do agree with you that they are great for a daily driven Jeep; although a selectable is perhaps best.

1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #51
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have to agree with the comment on Truetracs not being much use offroad. I ran front and rear Truetracs for about 3 years before I got too frustrated with them and swapped them both out for lockers. Yes that was with all the extra brake techniques to help the Truetracs hook up more readily. There was a night and day difference after getting the lockers installed. The lockers made such a HUGE improvement offroad that I couldn't believe it, they completely transformed the Jeep offroad and turned it into a trail beast. Truetracs are superb for onroad use but for offroad, they usually don't really help much offroad when a tire is up in the air.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #52
PackDude
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So I guess for me it boils down to another TrueTrac or a No-slip at this point for the front. I'll keep the TT in the rear. I must have read this earlier post and confused the no-slip with the no-spin (aka Detroit locker). Thanks to everyone for clarifying and providing experiential data. There are so many traction added differentials out there that sometimes it's confusing for newbs. I love JeepForum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryFriend View Post
Everything Jerry said x2.

I have a brand new Powertrax No-slip in my front and a Detroit Truetrac in the rear (D44). It's my DD and I wanted no effect on road manners or noise (any noise would drive my OCD brain (more) batty!)
snip...
While at times I wish I would have put in a rear Detroit locker, the Truetrac's invisibility for my DD and type of wheeling I do make it a pretty good fit.
snip...
I've only had the front No-Slip in for about a week. So far, I have done circles in a few dead end streets and I think I may have heard it click once or twice. If it did click, it was at the very beginning of the turn, clicked once, then quiet. Maybe it was the active spacer doing its job. Either way, I would call it silent. Nothing close to the Aussies I have heard. If silence is desired, the No-Slip is the way to go. I gladly spent the extra $100 for this feature.
Unread 07-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #53
ImaginaryFriend
2001 TJ Wrangler 

And just to give a minor update/trail report...I had a chance to test out the Powertrax No-slip in the front this past weekend. Wow, what a difference! You could really tell when it was in 4WD, the front really wanted to pull straight. It felt nothing like when I had the open front diff.

Also, I have not heard one more sound from the front No-Slip. One of my club friends even commented on its silence. I'm totally happy with the No-slip for both on and off road.
ImaginaryFriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #54
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

To the op, if you change your mind on the front locker I have a very lightly used Truetrac that I am eilling to part with. PM me if interested.
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #55
Jeepili
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not to hijack but to understand some of the decision making involved.

Is there any reason why someone would not want to run Aussie Lockers both front and rear? This is for a daily driver/weekend warrior (when cooler) and we see snow maybe once every 10 years.
Jeepili is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #56
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

An Aussie or Lockright mounted in the rear axle has pretty bad road manners, I wouldn't want to run one. The only lunchbox locker I'd even consider for the rear axle is the Eaton Powertrax No-Slip locker which is relatively well behaved in the rear axle.

In the front, all the lunchbox lockers are relatively well behaved. In 2wd, they don't affect steering in the least, you can't even feel their presence. The Aussie and Lockright only click through turns when in 2wd, the No-Slip doesn't even do that... it is virtually click-free and silent.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #57
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry I caught this so late. I have the Truetrac in the rear and Aussie in front and can hear it once in a while turning, barely though. Sharp u-turns I can feel it however and do crinch a little, probably for no reason though.

In sand in absolutely is incredible in 4x4. Using it correctly in snow/ice has been good to me, you just have to only put it in 4x4 when needed.

Once I put the front Aussie in, I was totally happy in any trail I have access to, rocks included.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #58
PackDude
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yesterday I installed a different front diff cover and guard, to clearance the KOR trackbar. When I had the diff unbuttoned, I checked out the Aussie. After several months and a full thousand city miles (lots of turning), it looks brand new. The gears are still razor sharp, and there wasn't a sign of wear at all. Whatever they are made from, it's super tough.

I may just keep in in there. We'll see how it does this winter in the snow and ice.
Unread 07-11-2010, 05:47 AM   #59
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yesterday I installed a different front diff cover and guard, to clearance the KOR trackbar. When I had the diff unbuttoned, I checked out the Aussie. After several months and a full thousand city miles (lots of turning), it looks brand new. The gears are still razor sharp, and there wasn't a sign of wear at all. Whatever they are made from, it's super tough.

I may just keep in in there. We'll see how it does this winter in the snow and ice.

Aussie lockers are tough as nails... mine has been in since 2006 without issue.

Tags
locker comparison , locker

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.