Aussie Auto locker/Factory LSD/Detroit TruTrac - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aussie Auto locker/Factory LSD/Detroit TruTrac

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #31
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
I run an Aussie up front as well and love it....... just not in my DD and not in a vehicle that I drive on slick/ice/snow covered roads in 4wd. The original poster is in Ohio (snow/ice/slick roads) and this is his none wheeled daily driver.
We do get some snow up here from time to time...that said, I'm not driving on the highway at 35mph +/- in the snow/ice and then engaging 4wd anymore...

RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #32
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

it makes no sense to lock a street jeep. do you really want a front locker in ohio during the winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #33
cpu77
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
it makes no sense to lock a street jeep. do you really want a front locker in ohio during the winter?
Is this a general question or directed at the OP? If toward the OP I do not drive in snow or ice as mentioned.
JKS Rear Track Bar
cpu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #34
cpu77
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So I am kinda confused..

I know I want to do the Detroit True Trac for my D35-$375 Shipped........ However seems like I may want to check out a Powertrax No-Slip for the front instead of the aussie. It's a bit more expensive at $395 Shipped.

Neither will require my gears to be reset up correct? I have 4.56's.
JKS Rear Track Bar
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #35
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I believe the Detroit will require additional set up because the carrier is replaced. The PowerTrax won't...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #36
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

trutrac will require gears being reset.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #37
cpu77
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for all the help.
JKS Rear Track Bar
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #38
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu77 View Post
So I am kinda confused..

I know I want to do the Detroit True Trac for my D35-$375 Shipped........ However seems like I may want to check out a Powertrax No-Slip for the front instead of the aussie. It's a bit more expensive at $395 Shipped.

Neither will require my gears to be reset up correct? I have 4.56's.
There is no reason to want a Detroit Truetrac up front. It doesn't help offroad like the locker will plus it costs much more to install because the backlash between the ring & pinion has to be set. I'd guess it would cost $200-250 to be installed.

I'd stick with the plan... Detroit Truetrac in the rear (which requires that gear backlash adjustment) and locker (Aussie or No-Slip) in the front. The front locker does not require anything be done to the ring & pinion gears.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #39
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry, I read the web page about the No-slip, and checked out the photos posted. It really is only slightly different in the design than a typical lunchbox locker such as the Aussie.... However, the differences in design appears to be enough to allow for some pretty good road manners. Even the author of the Web article admits that the N0-slip isn't invisible, but it is pretty close to it. I checked around a little and didn't find any negative comments about the No-slip. No one seems to be having any issues with them, or at least I didn't find any such comments. I assume that the price of the No-slip will fall once there is competition on the design. However, if I had a daily driver that I wanted to install a locker in the rear axle, the No-slip appears to be worth the additional $$ versus purchasing a typical lunchbox locker.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #40
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I run a powertrax no slip in the rear and an aussie up front and daily drive mine...I just made a road trip from TX to NY then NY to LV and back to TX this weekend with it..
UltimateCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #41
ImaginaryFriend
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Everything Jerry said x2.

I have a brand new Powertrax No-slip in my front and a Detroit Truetrac in the rear (D44). It's my DD and I wanted no effect on road manners or noise (any noise would drive my OCD brain (more) batty!)

Truetrac will need the gears set.
No-slip (or any other lunchbox locker) will not.
Don't bother with the stock LSD, it has clutch packs that will wear out and become an open diff.

While at times I wish I would have put in a rear Detroit locker, the Truetrac's invisibility for my DD and type of wheeling I do make it a pretty good fit.

I've only had the front No-Slip in for about a week. So far, I have done circles in a few dead end streets and I think I may have heard it click once or twice. If it did click, it was at the very beginning of the turn, clicked once, then quiet. Maybe it was the active spacer doing its job. Either way, I would call it silent. Nothing close to the Aussies I have heard. If silence is desired, the No-Slip is the way to go. I gladly spent the extra $100 for this feature.

Also, if you need them, during the front locker install would be a great time to put in axle seals. We have lots of mud here, so I put them in at the same time to save a little labor. I also found out during the install that both of my front axle u-joints were toast, so I replaced those too. They were dry and rusty, glad I found that out before they caused more problems!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
ImaginaryFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #42
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCC View Post
I run a powertrax no slip in the rear and an aussie up front and daily drive mine...I just made a road trip from TX to NY then NY to LV and back to TX this weekend with it..
That's a lot of miles in one 48 hour weekend
Unread 06-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #43
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCC View Post
i need your weekends, mine are to short!

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #44
PackDude
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Aussie in front, TrueTrac in rear

Sorry, it's not TJ-related, but definitely in the scope of this thread.

I recently replaced my stock rear D35 Trac-Lok LSD with a Detroit TrueTrac LSD, u-bolt yoke, and Alloy USA axles. The first thing I noticed on dry pavement was -- nothing. There is no noise and the steering feels the same. However, when it's lifted up on jack stands, you can tell the TrueTrac is different than the stock LSD because the wheels spin opposite directions, like an open diff. The Trac-Lock LSD would spin the tires in the same direction when up on stands, even when you applied a good amount of opposing torque to each wheel. So when there is no power applied to the R&P, the TrueTrac is literally like an open diff.

I tested the TrueTrac on a long strip of fill gravel in the middle of one of the longest streets in town that is under construction. With the left wheel in gravel and the right on pavement, I floored it in 2WH from a dead stop, and the wheel in the gravel did not spin, and the vehicle kept going forward quickly. So the torque biasing aspect seems to work pretty well so far.

Also, I have had an Aussie in the front (Dana 30 HP) since April or so. It is definitely noticeable, even in 2WD, mostly by sound/feel. It doesn't affect the 2WD steering very much, except that I no longer feel it's wise to take relatively quick and tight u-turns like I used to be able to with an open diff. That was one of the things I really loved about my stock XJ. The Aussie ratchets way too loudly when you take a tight u-turn, and I am afraid it's going to frag or something. I double-checked the specs when I installed it -- it was well within the feeler gauge measurements -- so it's not like it was installed incorrectly. Can't really screw up a lunchbox install anyway. And my tires are within 1/4" same diameter and the same air pressure.

The Aussie also will kind of clunk every so often when driving straight on a high camber road. I "know" in my mind that it's normal behavior/sound for the lunchbox locker, but it just doesn't "feel" right to me.

In 4WD, the Aussie pretty much wants you to stay in a straight line, and you know it's there when you try to turn. I will say one thing, it pulls like a son-of-a-gun when in 4WD now. I literally feel it pulling forward much more than when it had the open diff. I have not yet an opportunity to try it on snow/ice, so I can't make any judgement there.

If you install an Aussie in a vehicle with lots of miles, odds are you'll notice that your carrier bearings, axle seals, and pinion seals need replacement (mine did). So by the time you do all the work/pay the money to have the diff rebuilt with new bearings, setup/preload/runout, seals, etc. you aren't that much more ahead by going with the lunchbox instead of a Detroit No-Spin (aka Detroit Locker) or a TrueTrac.

One of the reasons I replaced the Trac-Lok was because it had clutch plates that eventually wear out. From what I've read on other forums, it also sounds like the Aussie will probably wear out. Besides, I can't see how it won't, with all the ratcheting it does while differentiating corners and u-turns.

That said, I am seriously considering replacing the Aussie with a TrueTrac. Since the Aussie was already 1/2 the cost of a TrueTrac, perhaps I should have just done the TrueTrac to begin with? And the Aussie is just a replacement for spider gears. With the TrueTrac, you get a whole new carrier that is probably much stronger than the stock carrier.

If you have the money to do true hardcore wheeling e.g. breaking and replacing parts (JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket, right?), you might as well go for broke and get the full-on selectable lockers. I've had my Jeep long enough (and am now honest enough with myself) to realize that I'll never use it for rock garden boulder crawling, but will need it for some snow/ice roads, sand, mud, etc. So I think the TrueTracs F/R will be my best bet right now. If I need to keep the front wheels out of the air, I'll just try out the new JK Quicker Disconnects I just installed. Hopefully the combination of TrueTrac and extra articulation will be enough to get through heavily rutted and uneven slippery roads.

So if you don't mind some clickety-clunk noise and want some extra pulling power, the Aussie in a Dana 30 isn't a bad way to go, I suppose. One of the greatest things about Jeeps is there is seemingly no shortage of options, or combinations thereof.

Last edited by PackDude; 07-07-2010 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: readability, organization
PackDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2010, 07:37 AM   #45
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You are correct, there are lots of combinations and modifications that can be made to a Jeep. What is the "right mod" for me, may not be the best for you.
The Aussie had nothing to do with your front axle needing to be rebuild so going with the no-spin wouldn't have changed anything except you would have gone into the install knowing you were prepaying for some of the labor you ended up paying. My Jeep has 150,000 plus miles on it. I installed the Aussie up front about 6 years ago. It has been to He^^ and back.... If it ever dies, I'll replace it with another Aussie. In the rear, I have the full Detroit. Both are automatic lockers, and both have the normal locker quirks. Personally, a LSD has no place on the trails. However, they are good for better traction on a DD. The No-spin is suppose to be a real good choice for the rear axle from what I hear. Usually, an Aussie will go up front because of the $$ cost $$ of the no-spin.

Tags
locker comparison , locker

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.