Aussie Auto locker/Factory LSD/Detroit TruTrac - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Aussie Auto locker/Factory LSD/Detroit TruTrac

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #16
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu77 View Post
Hmm well as for upgrades I agree if you are wheeling put a 8.8 ford in there. However I really don't wheel. I am just regearing for my 33's. I figure why in there why not add a LSD. As for the front I wish I could hear it in person. Does it click like a bad CV joint or bind like when it's in 4wd turning.
No binding..... just several rapid clicks.... probably like what you think of a bad CV joint would do. It's an auto locker, they have some minor quirks. If you don't wheel, and you drive at higher speeds in 4wd, I'd leave the sucker open. You can always add a lunchbox locker such as an Aussie at any time without much fuss.

little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #17
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
The Aussie, like any auto locker, will click on sharp turns (like when pulling into a parking space), but other than that, you will seldom know it's there when you are in 2wd.
The No-Slip auto locker is the exception, it does not click whether you're in 2wd, 4Hi, or 4Lo. I ran a No-Slip in my front axle for probably 80K miles and never heard it click even once.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #18
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Will the Detroit TruTrac in the D35 be well mannered and quiet?
Absolutely!
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
cpu77
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The No-Slip auto locker is the exception, it does not click whether you're in 2wd, 4Hi, or 4Lo. I ran a No-Slip in my front axle for probably 80K miles and never heard it click even once.

Jerry the link I provided to the Aussie is not the one you are speaking of?
JKS Rear Track Bar
cpu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You and I just have a difference of definition of terms Call me a snob, but I don't think of a limited slip as a locker. I don't think of a limited slip as being trail worthy. However, in this situation, we are talking about a Jeep that the owner says he only Mall Crawls with. Considering this, I would give the idea of leaving both diffs, especially the front one open. I understand these are my opinions and you are welcome to disagree with them.
Unread 06-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #21
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jerry the link I provided to the Aussie is not the one you are speaking of?
No, the Aussie is a completely different locker and is not the same as the click-free Powertrax No-Slip locker I mentioned above.

The part number for the correct No-Slip locker for your front Dana 30 axle is 92-0430-2700 which can be found on
http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/jeep1ns.pdf

Pay no attention to the remarks on that page under the "NOTICE REGARDING FRONT AXLE APPLICATIONS:" heading. That generic warning does not apply to the type of 4x4 system used by the Wrangler TJ.

Unread 06-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #22
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
You and I just have a difference of definition of terms Call me a snob, but I don't think of a limited slip as a locker. I don't think of a limited slip as being trail worthy. However, in this situation, we are talking about a Jeep that the owner says he only Mall Crawls with. Considering this, I would give the idea of leaving both diffs, especially the front one open. I understand these are my opinions and you are welcome to disagree with them.
Uhmm, the "No-Slip" is an actual automatic lunchbox locker. It's not a limited slip
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #23
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You and I just have a difference of definition of terms Call me a snob, but I don't think of a limited slip as a locker. I don't think of a limited slip as being trail worthy.
Do a little research before erroneously claiming the No-Slip is a limited slip differential. It's not a LSD, it's a full automatic lunchbox locker just like the Aussie, Lockright, and EZ-Locker is.

Unread 06-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #24
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do a little research before erroneously claiming the No-Slip is a limited slip differential. It's not a LSD, it's a full automatic lunchbox locker just like the Aussie, Lockright, and EZ-Locker is.
Maybe I'm from the old school.... No-slip was/has been nothing more than slang for a limited slip. I'll follow the link you posted and read up on this sucker.
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #25
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

"Old school" or not, and I'm very likely a lot older than you, I wouldn't claim something we're referring to as a locker is a limited slip without checking up on it first. Here's a decent review of the No-Slip locker for you to read... Powertrax No-Slip

Unread 06-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #26
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I run the Aussie up front (d30) and love it. Just bought a Powertrax "No Slip" for the rear + a Superior CCE. Budget driven, (not to mention Jerry's positive comments on the USA made Powertrax) I expect it to have tolerable street manners, and outstanding trail manners. Thanks Jeep Forum...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #27
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
I run the Aussie up front (d30) and love it. Just bought a Powertrax "No Slip" for the rear + a Superior CCE. Budget driven, (not to mention Jerry's positive comments on the USA made Powertrax) I expect it to have tolerable street manners, and outstanding trail manners. Thanks Jeep Forum...
Did you get the 30 spline or 27 spline CCE? If you got the 30 spline, you need a new carrier, and you won't be able to use the No Slip. I am going to assume you got the 27 spline though.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #28
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
I run an Aussie up front as well and love it....... just not in my DD and not in a vehicle that I drive on slick/ice/snow covered roads in 4wd. The original poster is in Ohio (snow/ice/slick roads) and this is his none wheeled daily driver.
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #29
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
"Old school" or not, and I'm very likely a lot older than you, I wouldn't claim something we're referring to as a locker is a limited slip without checking up on it first. Here's a decent review of the No-Slip locker for you to read... Powertrax No-Slip
I'm in a little rush at work, but I'll follow your link... to see what you are talking about.
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #30
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Did you get the 30 spline or 27 spline CCE? If you got the 30 spline, you need a new carrier, and you won't be able to use the No Slip. I am going to assume you got the 27 spline though.

Thanks LuckRider, I appreciate your thought's...

Yes, I did get the 27 spline so I could stay on budget. I should be okay on 33's, at least I believe I will. 35's likely wouldn't be wise on the 27 spline CCE, eh?
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
locker comparison , locker

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.