ATX Artillery Rims on Wrangler TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ATX Artillery Rims on Wrangler TJ?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
OlympicMaple

ATX Artillery Rims on Wrangler TJ?

Hey, guys! I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm looking at buying a used '97 TJ in the next few months and I'm dreaming of all the possibilities and options to choose from when customizing these beasts. I really like the ATX Artillery rims, but I've never seen them on a TJ before. Do you know if they will fit the TJ bolt pattern and if they will have enough room for backspacing? If you have have these rims on your TJ feel free to post pictures!
Thanks.

OlympicMaple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

welcome to the forum.

there is a boatload of information contained within these servers.... and you are on the right track by reading up on here before you buy your jeep. I trolled this forum for about a year before i bought my jeep; and i learned a LOT, so that by the time i bought my jeep i already knew quite a bit about it.

i had never heard of those rims, so i typed them into google and this is what came back:

(apparently they will fit a JK bolt pattern)

(i know, its not a picture of a TJ, but it still conveys the ugliness of those ricer rims on a jeep)

~2.5" Lift, LT285 MTR's, Currie HD steering, Currie Anti-Rock, Nth Oil Pan Skid, Kilby Steering Skid, Warn HS9500, Rockcrusher Diff covers, Nth Slider rear DS skid, custom bumpers, PIAA reverse lights, Tuffy Console, Uniden PC78 elite CB, Nth TT (not installed)
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
OlympicMaple

Thanks, Mattlock! So the bolt pattern of a JK is the same as a TJ? I'm basically just looking at wheels and it seems there's a lot that I have to learn. Figuring out how to shop for tires is an entirely different story, haha. So much to choose from!
Unread 09-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

TJ bolt pattern = 5 on 4.5.

JK bolt pattern = 5 on 5

Stock TJ backspacing = 5.5" and will fit up to a 10.50 wide tire.

To fit 11.50 tires on a TJ, you need 5" or less backspacing. To fit a 12.50 wide tire, you need 4.5" or less backspacing.

Every 1" of tire width increase requires a 1/2" of backspacing decrease.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlympicMaple
Thanks, Mattlock! So the bolt pattern of a JK is the same as a TJ?
No, TJs and JKs have a different pattern. You can get wheel spacers to correct the pattern, but that'll change you backspacing, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
TJ bolt pattern = 5 on 4.5.

JK bolt pattern = 5 on 5

Stock TJ backspacing = 5.5" and will fit up to a 10.50 wide tire.

To fit 11.50 tires on a TJ, you need 5" or less backspacing. To fit a 12.50 wide tire, you need 4.5" or less backspacing.

Every 1" of tire width increase requires a 1/2" of backspacing decrease.
^ this.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
OlympicMaple

Okay, that makes sense to me. I'm learning something new already, this is great! Question: For 90% on-road use and about 10% medium-hard off-road use, should I be looking at approximately 9 or 10 inch wide tires... or is that over-kill? I'm thinking 17x8" rims, with 33" inch tires. What is the largest width I can get out of a tire on an 8" wide rim? I find the whole "picking tires and rims" to be really confusing. I don't have much knowledge on the subject.)
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

8" wide wheels work well for up to 12.50 wide tires. You can even do 13.50 wide tires, but that is about as wide as I would go.

9" wheels work well for up to 13.50 or 14.50 wide tires.

A good rule of thumb is the wheel should be approximately 2/3 to 3/4 the width of the tire.

That is not what the tire and wheel guys recommend. They will tell you that you need a 10" wide wheel for 12.50 wide tires.

The narrower 8" or 9" wide wheel works better for how we use our Jeeps. The narrower wheel holds the tire bead better when aired down. You just have to run less PSI on road so you get even tread wear.

Wider wheels allow you to run a little more PSI. More PSI usually gives better MPG, however wider wheels stick out more and they make the tire a little wider. This increase in resistance is probably enough to wipe out the minimal gain from the slightly higher PSI. It should handle a little better with the wider wheels. The wider stance and less sidewall balloon should make it a little more stable.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rims , tj , wheels , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.