Atlas II or STak Monster Box 2 Speed Transfer Case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Atlas II or STak Monster Box 2 Speed Transfer Case

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Dozer.
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Atlas II or STak Monster Box 2 Speed Transfer Case

I was originally thinking of doing the TeraLow 4:1 conversion kit, but then I figured that it doesn't make much sense to throw approx. $1150 into the 231 transfer case. So instead of spending money on that.... I figure it might make sense to just get a new transfer case.

Between the two mentioned.... which would be your choice (and if you could....Why)???

Thanks for the help!

Nicholas

Unread 08-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

daily driver or trail rig? are you good with fab work?
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
Dozer.
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Daily driver.

I am not good with fab work. I will actually be getting my LA lift installed (from a shop), and I have been debating the transfer case. So I figure that I am going to be spenging money on the SYE/ driveshaft combo anyway, AND they will have everything apart...... so might as well just do it now????????
Unread 08-06-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

it might be a little costly for them to install another but the stock box unless you go to a good shop who knows the monster boxes or a good 4x4 shop. for a DD id go with the 231 unless your going extreme because install will be a lot
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #5
Wheels4186
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Doubt you'll get the answers your'e looking for here....may want to try Pirate4x4.com

Dave

www.patriot-customs.com

04 Patriot Blue TJ- DAILY DRIVER/WEEKEND WARRIOR D-30/60 7.5" of lift, 38's, bumpers, cage, OBA, winch, armor, tube fenders, 2000W Stereo, etc.
Wheels4186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 04:36 PM   #6
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepitup
I was originally thinking of doing the TeraLow 4:1 conversion kit, but then I figured that it doesn't make much sense to throw approx. $1150 into the 231 transfer case. So instead of spending money on that.... I figure it might make sense to just get a new transfer case.

Between the two mentioned.... which would be your choice (and if you could....Why)???

Thanks for the help!

Nicholas
So what is wrong with a 231??? I know lots that run it routinely at JV. They do it without any problems.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #7
BigJeepJay

Atlas II 4-Speed (Atlas II coupled w/ a Klune V underdrive) becasue you get the following output ratio's...

Highway
Klune in "Hi" and Atlas in Hi = 1:1

Trail
Klune in "Low" and Atlas in "Hi" = 2.7:1

Rock
Klune in "Hi"and Atlas in "Low" = 4.3:1

Extreme Underdrive
Klune in "Low" and Atlas in "Low" = 11.6:1

Although there is absolutley nothing wrong with doing a Tera-Low kit as I know many guys running it also and never had any problems.

[URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/JeepJay/"]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/JeepJay/[/URL]

TJ Stretch Thread...

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348220&page=3"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348220&page=3[/URL]
BigJeepJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
dirtgrip
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJay3279
Atlas II 4-Speed (Atlas II coupled w/ a Klune V underdrive) becasue you get the following output ratio's...

Highway
Klune in "Hi" and Atlas in Hi = 1:1

Trail
Klune in "Low" and Atlas in "Hi" = 2.7:1

Rock
Klune in "Hi"and Atlas in "Low" = 4.3:1

Extreme Underdrive
Klune in "Low" and Atlas in "Low" = 11.6:1

Although there is absolutley nothing wrong with doing a Tera-Low kit as I know many guys running it also and never had any problems.
That is a nice set-up but with stock wheelbase your rear dshaft is going to be short!Also RETAIL is what $4800 or so?I run a Terra 4:1 but want a Atlas 4 speed.
Unread 08-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
Dozer.
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Jay.... Mainly, I am just try and think as far in advance as I can. I just wonder if it is a waste of money to put money into this transfer case, instead of paying to upgrade it now to something that is much better???

Also......I am assuming that the driveshaft would be different lengths for the 231 and the Atlas or STak II.
And if I end up getting this later......... then that would be a waste of money for the SYE///driveshaft combo that I will have to buy next week.
Unread 08-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtgrip
That is a nice set-up but with stock wheelbase your rear dshaft is going to be short!
Exactly, a Stak and any other t-case is going to leave space for a 4" driveshaft! That 4" is just a WAG but it serves the purpose of why that combination isn't very practical for a stock wheelbase Wrangler.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 09:58 PM   #11
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

both stak and atlas are a great case.
i run the atlas 5.0 and love it. i have beat the hell out of this thing for over a year with no issues. it is not an inexpensive undertaking, bur once it is done, you wont have to worry about it any more. this is one mod you wont have to "outgrow" as your jeep progresses.

if i had to do it again, i'd do the 4 speed case.
i'm sure the drive shaft length issues could be worked out.
you have to lengthen the rear, and shorten the front shafts to get this atlas (standard atlas) into your jeep anyway

if you have more questions about the atlas, ask away. i know a few other people running the 5.0, and all are happy. hell, we just put one in joe dillards jeep last weekend

one suggestion..
if you do go the atlas route, be sure of one thing. GET THE FLAT CLOCKED CASE. you have to specify this when you order it. there is no extra charge for this, but you'll be glad you did it this way.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #12
BigJeepJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtgrip
That is a nice set-up but with stock wheelbase your rear dshaft is going to be short!Also RETAIL is what $4800 or so?I run a Terra 4:1 but want a Atlas 4 speed.
Yeah the driveshaft would be way too short as the Klune adds an additional 3" to the length of the Atlas but it is still 3.5" shorter in the rear than the NP231. The retail is around $2600.

[URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/JeepJay/"]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/JeepJay/[/URL]

TJ Stretch Thread...

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348220&page=3"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348220&page=3[/URL]

Last edited by BigJeepJay; 08-13-2006 at 05:04 PM..
BigJeepJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #13
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAILER341

if you have more questions about the atlas, ask away. i know a few other people running the 5.0, and all are happy. hell, we just put one in joe dillards jeep last weekend
Does atlas work with stock center console? I think it's not a linear shifting pattern.

User CP > Options > Uncheck "Show Signatures"
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #14
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl
Does atlas work with stock center console? I think it's not a linear shifting pattern.
yes.. it will work.
i helped a friend put one in his tj, and used the stok console.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #15
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAILER341
yes.. it will work.
i helped a friend put one in his tj, and used the stok console.
Thanks. Also what advantage does it have over a 231 with SYE, 4:1 low, and 2low kit? Seems the latter is still cheaper.

User CP > Options > Uncheck "Show Signatures"
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.