ASD shutdown relay-Kill Switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ASD shutdown relay-Kill Switch

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
jeepbreath
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ASD shutdown relay-Kill Switch

All,
I want to install a simple kill switch into my 2000 TJ. I have researched this extensively on JF and have yet to find the answer I am looking for. I believe the easiest method would be to install a simple on/off switch into the ground for the ASD relay, which on my model can be found at connector C-106/pinout #4 (dark blue wire) under the driver's side dash. I have read several posts regardings the ADE-II kit that splices into this same wire, but uses a relay and a magnetic reed switch. I like the idea, but from a cost perspective believe a switch would be much cheaper. I also like the idea of installing the SKIM, but I would be out between $150-$200 and just can't swing it right now.

Some feedback would be appreciated from anyone who has gone this route. Also, why would you use a relay on such a small gauge wire when a switch should be sufficient enough to handle the amp/voltage?

Thanks,
RB

jeepbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is exactly what I've been thinking about. I'd also prefer something simpler (i.e. less components to fail) than the ADE kit. That circuit runs through the fuse panel behind the glove box. I've got a Tuffy glove box so I'm going to install a heavy duty SPST switch with a cover into it and mount it on the glove box. Since I almost always open the glove box to get the stereo face plate out or put it away, flipping one switch will be pretty simple and I think secure.

Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

All you need to do is cut the wire and install a switch (in a location of your choice)
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Mlehnert85
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbreath View Post
All,
I want to install a simple kill switch into my 2000 TJ. I have researched this extensively on JF and have yet to find the answer I am looking for. I believe the easiest method would be to install a simple on/off switch into the ground for the ASD relay, which on my model can be found at connector C-106/pinout #4 (dark blue wire) under the driver's side dash. I have read several posts regardings the ADE-II kit that splices into this same wire, but uses a relay and a magnetic reed switch. I like the idea, but from a cost perspective believe a switch would be much cheaper. I also like the idea of installing the SKIM, but I would be out between $150-$200 and just can't swing it right now.

Some feedback would be appreciated from anyone who has gone this route. Also, why would you use a relay on such a small gauge wire when a switch should be sufficient enough to handle the amp/voltage?

Thanks,
RB
I installed one today...not a real hard project by any means.....I spliced into a wire going from a the ASD relay to the fuel pump relay. In effect tapping into the fuel pumps power source. Works great and on top of that...if I ever decided to remove it I only need to replace a 4in wire.
Mlehnert85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kill , switch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.