The Arched Tube Fender Exposed - A Start to Finish Review - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The Arched Tube Fender Exposed - A Start to Finish Review

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineArtec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 09-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Metalcloak
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Arched Tube Fender Exposed - A Start to Finish Review

At MetalCloak, we listen to you, the user, constantly improving our products and processes, striving to not just meet, but beat your expectations.

EDIT: This thread is focuses on our Original Arched Tube Fenders for TJ, but the information applies not only to the Arched Tube Fenders for TJ/LJ and YJ, but also to our Overline Tube Fenders for TJ/LJ, YJ, CJ & JK.

This thread is a response to the request for more detailed information regarding why we have such great confidence in the quality of our product.

Confidence not only in the ability of the product to achieve its primary function - the greatest level of clearance possible without body modifications - but also in the level of quality we have at every point of the manufacturing process.

A previous thread showed via animated diagrams the clearance we achieve vs. other typical tube fenders. You can view this thread here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/metalcloak-clearance-diagrams-metalcloak-vs-others-842196/

This new thread will follow the development of a set of fenders for one member of JeepForum.com. This member, known as FireKite will receive these fenders and then give a full, honest and independent analysis of the full customer experience including the bolt on installation process.

-----------------

The First Steps....

To ensure the best possible consistency and quality of manufacture, every individual part that makes up a MetalCloak product is laser cut, bent, and machined on CNC equipment.

Laser Cutting Parts

Bending Facility

Laser Cut and Bent Parts Waiting Assembly

However, all welding is done by hand, keeping to the traditions of craftsmanship and ensuring the highest level of quality of each assembled part.

The true craftsman in action

A Close-Up of the just-completed welds

The Completed Tube Fender

Once the MetalCloak product is completed, it is stored and ready to be shipped out. We strive to always have product on the shelf to avoid back-orders whenever possible.

Products On Shelf and Ready to Go

To be continued... Coming Next: Preparing Your Order...

Metalcloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Metalcloak
Vendor

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The next chapter in our story will be posted tomorrow. Thank you for your PMs!
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Personally, I think this is an awesome idea, seeing how your stuff is made from start to finish. There are only really a handful of vendors I can think of that would be both able and willing to do something like that. For those of us who aren't fabricators and depend on companies like yours to build the things we rely on for various functions, it's very cool to see, before we begrudgingly let what's left of our credit cards slide across the table, that there's quality work going into it. For me personally it sure makes me feel a helluvalot better about it, that I'm getting a legitimately good piece of work made by people I might one day actually get the chance to talk to and shake hands with, not buying junk that's slapped together in a factory half way around the world before being packed onto a boat across the Pacific.

And I'm really interested to see what exactly the next "chapter" entails
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
nriver
2011 JK Wrangler 

cool........
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
sandjunkie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome process to share.
sandjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
LandoCommando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

too rich for my blood

Oh the irony.
LandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

they look awesome...i could see these in the future on my jeep...
UltimateCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
ChitwnGrnJP
2004 TJ Wrangler 

These are by far my favorite fenders on the market...too bad they are way outta my price range.
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
Metalcloak
Vendor

2006 TJ Wrangler 

As promised, here is the next stage in the process:

Preparing Your Order...

When your order comes in, we don't simply take it off the shelf and pack it up, if the product is not ordered with powdercoating, we DA the metal, creating a consistent finish, ready to be prepped for painting.

But, in the case of the order for FireKite, we are applying our Cardinal Textured Semi-Gloss Black Powder Coat before shipping.

The first step is to media blast every product using a natural mined media to ensure a quality finish and a stronger bond with the powder.

Fender Just Coming out of the Media Blaster... and a close-up of the blasted welds.

The powder coating is applied at 2.0 - 2.5 mil thickness, creating an incredibly strong finish. No cracking or flaking!

The powdercoated fenders then go into the oven for baking.

The finished powdercoated fender

A closer look

EDIT>>> We now have a video showing our Powdercoating process which now includes a Zinc Primer Coat...

To Be Continued... Up Next: Shipping
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
missionAvs

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, if you guys ever need to send one of these fenders to Central Florida for free, i'll be glad to accept them . Just kidding, the fenders look awesome, by far my favorite on the market and might eventually gather up the bills to pay for a set.

Last edited by missionAvs; 09-25-2009 at 02:35 PM..
missionAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, that powdercoating looks great! I got my driver's side fender and my rear flares in the mail today, bare steel... Nearly makes me wish I had gotten them coated instead of deciding on Hammered black!

Great to see where it all comes from, thanks!

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25” BL, JKS 1” BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #12
techna
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is a great thread......Except that it makes it that much harder waiting on mine to get here.
techna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
Metalcloak
Vendor

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by techna View Post
This is a great thread......Except that it makes it that much harder waiting on mine to get here.
Unread 09-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #14
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I will now call those "Sexytime fenders."
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #15
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Those fenders are "Da Bomb" dude! Wish I could afford em. Looks like you'd need at least 35's to cover up some of that wheel well though! Darn!
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.