ARB Tire Inflation Kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ARB Tire Inflation Kit

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-24-2006, 11:31 PM   #1
Idahomie

ARB Tire Inflation Kit

Anybody ever used it, if so does it work good?

JH

Idahomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 11:36 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No, it does not work good for anything other than refilling the occasional low tire. It doesn't pump out enough air volume (not to be confused with air pressure) to refill tires at anything other than an agonizingly slow rate.

Plus it's not rated to run the length of time needed to refill four big Jeep tires aired down for offroading. Doing so on a regular basis will shorten its life. Unofficially per ARB's reps, they doesn't even recommend using their tire inflation kit for more than occasional low tire fill-up.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 11:41 PM   #3
Idahomie

Right on man,

Thanks for the tip. Glad I asked before buying.

JH
Idahomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
CETROV

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have the ARB compressor and would never use it for an inflation - way slow.

I also have the Viair 400 and a 2 gallon tank which works well with my 35's.
Unread 11-25-2006, 06:00 AM   #5
yellj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETROV
I have the ARB compressor and would never use it for an inflation - way slow.

I also have the Viair 400 and a 2 gallon tank which works well with my 35's.
That's the same set up I have, works great, can air up in about 10 minutes, would be there about 10 minutes a tire with the ARB, which would probably burn up after that kind of use, not because it's a bad compressor, that is just not what it is made for.
04 Unlimited RE SF 4.5", 1" MORE BL and MML, ARB Bull Bar, AR23 15x8, 35x12.5 MTRs, Jeep Medic Engine and T/F Skid, Shrockworks Rockers, Warn 9.5ti, AA SYE, ARBs, 4.88s and Alloy USA Shafts, HPD30 w JJs 1967 M416

www.midatlanticjeepers.com
yellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
kizer

I wouldn't recommend using your ARB compressor as a Tire inflator, but more or less as a backup. Ive built my own.
http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/arb_inflator/

Ive found it works, but as a backup. I currently use a 25 compressor that I bought from a local parts store. Works great and when it dies it only cost me 25bucks compaired to a 200 ARB compressor.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Plus it's not rated to run the length of time needed to refill four big Jeep tires aired down for offroading. Doing so on a regular basis will shorten its life. Unofficially per ARB's reps, they doesn't even recommend using their tire inflation kit for more than occasional low tire fill-up.
Jerry,
While I totally agree that the ARB compressor is not well suited for airing up large tires, the new style compressor (the smaller unit that was introduced about a year ago) has a 100% duty cycle. I exchanged some comments with one of the ARB engineering supervisors from Australia back then....one of their acceptance tests was 35 PSI for 30 hours, cavitated over pressure testing at over 220PSI, and deliberate stone blasting in the wheel well of a Land Rover Defender. All this (and more) was done just to be sure it would not overheat while airing up your tire.

The same can not be said for the older ARB compressors.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good to know they improved their duty cycle to 100% Stu, thanks for that update!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
yellj

I have the new mini, while it is great for lockers, even saw a demo video where it worked under water, but I couldn't imagine it airing up a single tire in under 15 minutes, just not much volume, not designed for that as the lockers need very little volume. Thought the original question was it any good for airing up tires, answer is no, unless it is an emergency and you have plenty of time. Just for giggles, here is a pic of the set up with Viair and the mini (CKSA12), like have a redundant source of air. I don't believe it is 100% Duty Cycle, here is the specs from ARB, note the CFM .47 @ 29 PSI, 35% Duty Cycle, thier specs
http://www.arbusa.com/air_compressor/specifications.pdf
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...j/100_0651.jpg
04 Unlimited RE SF 4.5", 1" MORE BL and MML, ARB Bull Bar, AR23 15x8, 35x12.5 MTRs, Jeep Medic Engine and T/F Skid, Shrockworks Rockers, Warn 9.5ti, AA SYE, ARBs, 4.88s and Alloy USA Shafts, HPD30 w JJs 1967 M416

Last edited by yellj; 11-25-2006 at 06:14 PM..
Unread 11-25-2006, 06:57 PM   #10
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellj
I have the new mini, while it is great for lockers, even saw a demo video where it worked under water, but I couldn't imagine it airing up a single tire in under 15 minutes, just not much volume, not designed for that as the lockers need very little volume. Thought the original question was it any good for airing up tires, answer is no, unless it is an emergency and you have plenty of time. ....
I don't think anyone posting here supported the idea of using it to air up tires.

Everyone's response, including mine, said it's not a good choice for airing up tires.

My response to Jerry was to inform him that his duty cycle comment was in error.

So yes, you are correct in regards to the original question being about the ARB airing up tires. I'm glad to see we are all in agreement on that.

As to the PDF you listed, I've no idea what the model # is.

I'll be happy to forward you the e-mail from ARB Australia indicating it is rated at 100% duty cycle. If the company has since changed the duty cycle rating...well, they can certainly do that. It's their compressor and their specs. My last contact with them was July, 2005.....things could have changed since then.
Unread 11-25-2006, 07:21 PM   #11
yellj

Stu, just adding info I have, as you have done for many readers, not trying to be a smart arse, just have some personal experience with this one and the orginal documentation, which states should only be used for lockers and not filling tires. I have no doubt that is what ARB told you, in fact I have trusted your word and your write ups implicitly in building my Jeep. FWIW the mini is the top model, again not trying to be combative. Also found the video of it working under water.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/Merchan...arb/CKSA12.MOV

Unread 11-25-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Understood.....I'm not sure why the numbers have changed.

Speaking of under water.....this was sent to me by an engineering supervisor at ARB Australia. He hinted that there may be a big brother to this one coming out at some time in the future. I need to find out if that is ever going to happen or not.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.