ARB rear bumper / tire carrier question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ARB rear bumper / tire carrier question

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Glockgirl26
2013 JK Wrangler 

ARB rear bumper / tire carrier question

I'm eyeballing the ARB Quadratec Edition front bumper for my Rubi, and would prefer to also use the same brand to replace my rear bumper. Looking at the ARB rear set up that is in the catalog, it lists both separately and together the bumper and the tire carrier. It also says you do need them both. Do I really need the tire carrier assembly just to replace the bumper if I don't plan on lifting it just now or putting bigger tires on it? I really want to put the bumpers on before winter, but it'll probably be several years before I lift it or put bigger tires on it, so if I don't need the carrier right now I could save myself that additional $600 or so.

TIA!

Glockgirl26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

I got mine as a combined kit.

The swing-arm fills in the space in the middle of the bumper.

I don't know what you get if you order the lower part only. I don't know if there's a filler piece to cover it up.

However - the ARB rear Bumper is much higher clearance than it looks.

Take a look at the picture with the swing arm open. Look how close the tailgate is to the top of the bumper. This is because the bumper is covering up the bottom of the tub, instead of being below the tub like stock.

This means using the stock tire mount, you've lost several inches of clearance between the tire and the bumper.

Save up a little longer and do it all at once
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
matt79
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd get something else if I wasn't getting the carrier too. It'll look like a$$ without it. On the other hand though it's a pretty stout bumper, I haven't seen another with a better frame tie in. Maybe you could fab up a filler for it as alluded to above.
matt79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep View Post

That is the exact angle I needed to see how the ARB rear bumper would look with the AEV Highline kit. At this point, I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't need to cut the fenders if it was all installed on an Unlimited.

Thanks!

BTW, the piece of metal that hides/covers the latch looks bent outward. Is it made that way? Trick of perspective?
DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 01:05 AM   #5
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

That thing looks stout as h*ll!! How well has the carrier/latch/hinge assembly held up? Any rattles, clunks, banging etc? I know ARB front's can take a HUGE beating but I have never even seen a rear on anything around here.
zachjf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I hv had mine for 2.5 years. No rattles or anything so far. I hv been rear-ended twice with not a scratch. Very very happy with it. A total of 18 bolts holding it to the frame and crossmember. No problem with using d-ring tabs as recovery points. Its rated for towing as well (not many are officially ratedU.
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #7
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Jeep View Post
That is the exact angle I needed to see how the ARB rear bumper would look with the AEV Highline kit. At this point, I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't need to cut the fenders if it was all installed on an Unlimited.

Thanks!

BTW, the piece of metal that hides/covers the latch looks bent outward. Is it made that way? Trick of perspective?
With an Unlimited you would have no problems at all. You've got an additional five inches of clearance between the bumper and flare.

As for the way the cover looks - i think the way the dust has settled on it is playing tricks with your eyes. The kit includes plenty of washers / shims / adjustments so you can make everything perfect. Even the hinge bolt has a second bolt pushing into it so you can counter any sag and make it swing closed effortlessly.

Here's some clean pics so you can see it line up.

Unread 07-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
Glockgirl26
2013 JK Wrangler 

Oman Jeep, thank you for posting those pictures, it gives me a MUCH better idea of what's going on with it than what I could see from the webpage at Quadratec. Now I see why they say you need both pieces, and that's exactly what I needed.
Glockgirl26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockgirl26 View Post
Oman Jeep, thank you for posting those pictures, it gives me a MUCH better idea of what's going on with it than what I could see from the webpage at Quadratec. Now I see why they say you need both pieces, and that's exactly what I needed.
Happy to help... there's a bunch of extra pics on here:

http://www.oman4x4.com/gallery/arbtire

It's not an easy installation but it's by far the best engineered swing out carrier system I've seen to date. No rattles / noises etc. at all.
Unread 02-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have it and it is fantastic. I installed it alone; get someone to help you.
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
swhytie

Ok older post but someone point me in the direction to find those rear fender flares please.
swhytie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #12
DeathDealer11
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Those are part of the AEV Hi-line setup, which unfortunately I think they don't make anymore. I wanted the same same thing but I was sol by time I had the $
DeathDealer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.