Is ARB the only tow rated bumper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is ARB the only tow rated bumper?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
erikb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Is ARB the only tow rated bumper?

Looking for a tow rated bumper but hoping there's more options than the expensive ARB bumper. Anyone know of other options?

erikb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
bj26pro
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The smitybuilt src bumper is a class 3 2" receiver and it had a sticker on it that it is rated for 500lbs tung weight and 5000 lb trailer wait. I put two full size quads from it and haven't had a issue
image-408712953.jpg   image-2476065505.jpg  
bj26pro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The lack of an official tow rating doesn't necessarily mean the bumper isn't more than up to towing even more than the 2,000 lbs. a TJ is rated to tow. Small bumper manufacturers don't have the $$$ to have their products certified and even some of the larger manufacturers refuse to provide an official tow rating on the advice of their attorneys.

My Dirt Worx bumper is overbuilt and more than able to tow more than my TJ is rated for but he's a one-man shop and doesn't have the resources to certify it to tow a particular weight. It's so strong and well made it doesn't even notice the weight of the tent trailer I regularly tow.

Some bumpers like my previous Olympic bumper originally came rated to tow 2,000 lbs. but no longer make that claim even though nothing on the bumper changed. No doubt on the advice of their attorney to reduce their liability exposure.

Don't be afraid of the lack of a tow rating if the bumper appears to be conservatively up to the task as mine is.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure it has a place for safety chains to attach to.
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
erikb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hey Jerry, it's more a safety with insurance thing. I know there's plenty of bumpers that could do it, but on that teeny tiny chance something happens I don't want them to come back and say it was from not having a rated bumper. Oh and I have an LJ so it's rated at towing up to 3500lbs
erikb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
Klinestine
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Smittybuilt XRC rear and its rated and easily pulls my boat. And I understand the insurance thing. I live near the Chesapeake bay bridge and just a few years ago a trailer came loose and killed the people in the car behind it. While there were other issues in the case, I'd rather spend extra $ now and not spend the millions on the off chance it does happen.
Klinestine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
CZDiesel
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I like the quality of my Rock Hard and it has a integrated Class II rated hitch

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-2001-c.htm
CZDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #8
KCBrewer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Bestop has a class 2.5 rated hitch. A buddy put one on his '06 LJ. It looks good, but is a little shinier than what I wanted. Frame tie ins are a good idea if you plan to tow with it. http://www.amazon.com/Bestop-42902-0...op+rear+bumper

I ordered the AtoZ bumper with frame tie ins and plan to pull a small camper with it. http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...cat=281&page=1
Unread 04-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #9
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
The lack of an official tow rating doesn't necessarily mean the bumper isn't more than up to towing even more than the 2,000 lbs. a TJ is rated to tow. Small bumper manufacturers don't have the $$$ to have their products certified and even some of the larger manufacturers refuse to provide an official tow rating on the advice of their attorneys.

Don't forget that whatever bumper you might consider for towing also needs to be tied back to the frame. I know my unrated bumper itself can handle towing, but it wasn't attached to the frame until I added tie-ins.
Unread 04-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #10
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikb View Post
Looking for a tow rated bumper but hoping there's more options than the expensive ARB bumper. Anyone know of other options?
forget about bumpers being "rated" to tow, its just CYA legal terminology.....and largely BS for the weights our Jeeps can tow. a good bumper with integrated hitch and frame tie-ins will be fine.

I use a 2x5x3/16" rear bumper from seller "knoblockbumpers" on Ebay. Don't know if he's still in business. 3/4" shackle tabs and 2" hitch welded through on both sides. Frame tie-ins welded to the frame. It's not "rated", but the frame will rip before the bumper does...

Tows 3000lbs just fine....

Be more worried about stopping and handling the weight. Towing that enclosed trailer isn't much fun....can't see around it very well, Jeep is terribly slow & underpowered. Stops fine though with the Vanco Big Brake kit with Black Magic pads, 10" drum trailer brakes and an electronic trailer brake controller in the Jeep.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #11
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
...Stops fine though with the Vanco Big Brake kit with Black Magic pads, 10" drum trailer brakes and an electronic trailer brake controller in the Jeep.
You should add a drag chute to that list!
Unread 04-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #12
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
You should add a drag chute to that list!
naw, retro-rockets!
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #13
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

if your bumper needs a weight rating, you are towing too much weight for an lj/tj.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #14
Rock_Hard_4x4
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZDiesel View Post
I like the quality of my Rock Hard and it has a integrated Class II rated hitch

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-2001-c.htm
Correct - and with our frame brace kit you are fully rated to tow OEM specs.

Email: sales@rockhard4x4.com or send us a PM
Site: www.rockhard4x4.com
Instructions and Videos: www.rockhard4x4.com/INSTRUCTIONS
Follow RH4x4: Facebook / YouTube / Instagram / Twitter
Rock_Hard_4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #15
Lovemachine
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_Hard_4x4 View Post
Correct - and with our frame brace kit you are fully rated to tow OEM specs.

I'm on my 2nd one now. It got banged up pretty good after I got rear ended by a large FedEx van. Totaled the van, I drove away.

Insurance bought me a new Rock Hard 4x4 bumper and tire carrier.
Lovemachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.