ARB Compressor Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ARB Compressor Install

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
dpegasusm
1999 TJ Wrangler 

ARB Compressor Install

I did a lot of searching around and was unable to find a good writeup on an ARB compressor install for a location other than the second battery tray below the brake cylinder. I have a 99 TJ Sahara and it comes with ABS so the second tray was filled with the ABS junk. Short of attempting to rip it all out to make room for the i decided to look for other locations to mount it that would require minimal movement of factory equipment and allow easy access to the compressor for tire inflation and hookup for the locker hoses later on.

I investigated and considered a number of locations:
  1. Down underneath the air box on the side of the fender; this was too low, would probably get very wet on the trail and nearly impossible to access.
  2. In front of the air intake on the passenger site fender. This was a nice spot but it would be hard to access with a hose for inflating tires and would have required a special bracket because of the AC hoses that were already routed there.
  3. Passenger side between the washer fluid and coolant bottles where the horn was located.

Of all of these the location between the bottles was the easiest to work with and would allow for easy access and be far away from trail mud and water.

In order to make room, the horn needed to be relocated to the passenger side of the engine compartment. The white/red wire that feeds the horn is split just underneath the charcoal canister so i opened up the harness and extended the wire from there. There is a part of the harness already that runs along the underside of the top of the grill for the headlights,so it was easy to follow that. it was split and then rewired over on the other side.

Step 2:
The ARB backing plate was used as a bracket and mounted to the fender flare where the horn used to be. One of the horn holes was reused and only one hole was drilled. For added strength the bracket was welded into place but this could have been done without welding by putting some oversized washers on the backside.

Step 3:
Compressor was bolted onto the bracket. One of the bolts needed a little bit of trimming as it was too long for the fender flare as well as one of the bolts on the backside of the grill that holds in the headlights was sticking about an inch into the engine bay.

A quick test to make sure that it is working. and it looks like it is made to fit there with easy access to the compressor for tire inflation and hopefully room for the locker hoses to come soon...

I don't have a picture of it yet but the ARB tie inflation kit fits perfectly on top of the compressor facing upwards and allowing for easy access with the hood up and plenty of clearance with the hood down.

dpegasusm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.