ARB air recommendations - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ARB air recommendations

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #16
JeSimmers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I run the same compressor as Knucklehead, you will not find a better/comparable compressor for anywhere near the cost. I have mine hard mounted under the hood and run my rear ARB with a simple air compressor regulator set for 95 psi.

Red Jeep Club Member #454
JeSimmers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #17
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did some extra plumbing to fit my needs...

Unread 10-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #18
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you go with the ARB compressor, here is a work-around for their harness that will allow you to run the the front locker independently from the rear. Without the change, the rear locker has to be engaged in order for the front locker to be engaged.

JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #19
93ZJ_5.2_ca
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Really did not read anywhere that front and rear could not be independently run, damn!!!

Thanks for the work around with this is there any chance of damaging the ARB componants?
Why would they run it the way they do?

Those puma setups look like good systems. Are those the 1 gal tanks? and are those AC or DC?
93ZJ_5.2_ca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #20
JeSimmers
1997 TJ Wrangler 

12 volt dc 1.5gal tank with an unloader valve.
Red Jeep Club Member #454
JeSimmers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #21
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ZJ_5.2_ca View Post
Really did not read anywhere that front and rear could not be independently run, damn!!!
Damn!!!!!!!@!@!!!!!!!!!! Seriously? That actually makes enough difference to you that it generated a comment?

When, where, and why do YOU think you need to ever run the front only locked and leave the back open?
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #22
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks for the work around with this is there any chance of damaging the ARB componants?
Why would they run it the way they do?

Those puma setups look like good systems. Are those the 1 gal tanks? and are those AC or DC?
It won't damage them. I don't know why they set them up that way.
JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #23
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Another bit of advice- It's great to plan for emergencies and use that to justify all manner of things you can bolt on, carry around and stack into your rig. After a few years of doing so, you will wake up one day and figure out that all that crap you're doing for emergencies pretty much becomes a self fulfilling prophecy because all the weight you add transforms your rig into a lumbering beast on the trail and highway.
I am also considering the ARB form Northridge, but I can't decide how to go about the air. I want to be able to air up my tires, too. Maybe you are right and I should just go the simple route.
Please update on how it works out for you ZJ.
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #24
Hotrod97z
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I run my ARBs off of my York. ARB had a promotion where they gave you a free HD compressor with the purchase of 2 lockers back in the spring. Since I had it, I plumbed it and wired it in with my York so now I have an automatic redundant system. I also have a pneumatic Swayloc. I installed a second 1/2 gallon tank with a check valve just in case I lose the York or an air line on the trails. I know all of this was overkill, but I got the electric compressor for free and the rest was not that expensive.

As far as regulators, I bought a brass Generant 1/8" NPT regulator on Ebay. Any regulator will do, just make sure the max pressure is more than your system pressure and the regulated pressure is within the range of your lockers (85~100psi I think, but double check because I don't remember). Get familiar with McMaster Carr (McMaster-Carr) they are an excellent source for fittings. I used the teflon paste on some my fittings and had leaks. I had pretty good luck with the tape.

'03 TJ
Hotrod97z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #25
93ZJ_5.2_ca
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was at Roctoberfest out here near Palm Springs last weekend and had a JK, we took a trail called Cakewalk. In a TJ it might have been a bit better but the overall length of the JK made for a challenging run. We were on one obstacle rear tires to encounter the next in front and so on. It was nice to have the control of unlocking front to rear when needed. And for a top dollar price, I want total control of my locker system. I was on the fence and almost got the eaton elockers for a total control solution.

How many have taken the work around route with their ARB controls?
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #26
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was at Roctoberfest out here near Palm Springs last weekend and had a JK, we took a trail called Cakewalk. In a TJ it might have been a bit better but the overall length of the JK made for a challenging run. We were on one obstacle rear tires to encounter the next in front and so on. It was nice to have the control of unlocking front to rear when needed. And for a top dollar price, I want total control of my locker system. I was on the fence and almost got the eaton elockers for a total control solution.

How many have taken the work around route with their ARB controls?
Very common misconception that any locker unlocks readily on an obstacle. If the locking dogs in the side plates don't reach a neutral non loaded condition, they stay locked.

If you're at JK wheelbase, then you may have a point, until then, you likely don't. As far as the work around, follow the schematic and it's a 10 minute fix.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, it's just not as beneficial as most make it out to be.
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #27
93ZJ_5.2_ca
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I agree even on or between an obstacle unlocking may be challenging till flat and rolling. It just shocked me that ARB would intentionally set their lockers up that way. Maybe the original design is made as a failsafe to protect and assist the weaker front axle. In situations where if the front alone was locked most of the force could be on a single side and cause a break. If the rear was locked with the front, the rear would assist the stress of the front axle. Unsure... Thoughts??
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #28
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree even on or between an obstacle unlocking may be challenging till flat and rolling. It just shocked me that ARB would intentionally set their lockers up that way. Maybe the original design is made as a failsafe to protect and assist the weaker front axle. In situations where if the front alone was locked most of the force could be on a single side and cause a break. If the rear was locked with the front the rear would assist the stress of the front axle. Unsure... Thoughts??
ARB isn't the only company to wire up their air lockers to work that way, Jeep engineering did the same thing with the Rubicon's air lockers. So there must be a very good reason that both ARB and Jeep engineers set them up like that.

Personally, I don't see the issue or any reason I'd ever want to lock my front and unlock my rear axles. And since I can do that already because I had to completely rewire my locker compressors to even get them to work, I've yet to run into a situation where I wanted just my front locker locked even though I could if I wanted to.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 02:39 AM   #29
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The ARB instructions say they have it setup so you don't activate the front locker by accident while on the road.

I don't think the front locker would be very happy if you were taking a turn at 30 and hit the switch with your knee, not that the back would either.

I guess the only reason you would really want only the front locker activated without the rear is if you were trying to make your off roading trip *** difficult as possible and only wanted to activate the locker when you absolutely needed it.

It's a very easy fix to wire it so you can activate the front without the rear but I wouldn't bother unless your bored and just felt like working on something.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 03:25 AM   #30
AlexGeorgakis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I happened to "need" the front locked by itself once on the trail. Rear tires were on a slippery surface while the front was on an elevated mound of soft soil. With the rear locked the Jeep's behind would slide to one side from the screw effect caused by the locked axle on the rock, throwing my climbing angle completely off. If I could lock the front alone I wouldn't have trouble climbing that obstacle. But then again, I could have just picked a different line of approach... so, it's all just about preference. Since I just had my entire electrical system redone, I separated the two lockers as well. I'll be trying the new system out this weekend. Hopefully it rains!!!
*rain dance*

Tags
air , arb , install , tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.