ARB air locker vs. Rubicon locker in my TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ARB air locker vs. Rubicon locker in my TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-08-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
Glass

ARB air locker vs. Rubicon locker in my TJ

If you had a choice which one? Advantages and disadvantages? I am looking at the Rubicon 44 axle from jeepsareus, with the locker of course, then buying the Rubicon compressors, or a 44 with the ARB installed. I wanted the Eaton e-locker, but can't seem to find one. Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks again!!

Unread 08-08-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
acorn

Aren't the Rubi's fitted with ARB's from the factory?
Coming soon: 4.11's - OME HD

Black Jeep Club #105
acorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 03:11 PM   #3
Glass

Yes, but they require much lower air pressure to operate. Is this good or bad? Hence my question.
Unread 08-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
JeepCreepn01

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn
Aren't the Rubi's fitted with ARB's from the factory?
NO, they arent ARB's they are some air locker from somewhere like tokyo or something i forget, if your going to get a axle, just get the housing and put and ARB in it you'll be glad you did, i'm not to experienced and rubi lockers but ARBs have made a great name for themselves, plus if you buy just the axle housing you can add whatever you want like chromoly shafts and the gear of your choice jeepareus they come with the standard gear, 4:10's i believe. you can build your own axle alot cheaper then they sell a complete one for
JeepCreepn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 07:35 PM   #5
James04TJ

Both have shown to be reliable. I run an ARB in my front axle and a MOPAR air locker in my rear.
James04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 08:16 PM   #6
crawldit
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If it's for the rear I like the mopar. It operates like an LSD when not engaged.
crawldit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
Bucket110

the Rubi 44 is a unique 44, it is like none other. it uses special gears and carrier. thus when using aftermarket parts in them, the install gets tricky. this is why you don't see a ton of rubi owners who have broken their lockers, switching to arbs. and there are quiet a few broken carriers in rubi's. (if you need proof, go to www.rubiconownersforum.com and then to the drivetrain section.)

i would fine a regular d44 from a TJ or something else to swap in and not use the rubi housing, but thats my opinion. do as you feel fit.

[URL=http://community.webshots.com/user/2k2blktj]My Jeep[/URL]
Bucket110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 05:40 AM   #8
JeepCreepn01

install on my rubi 44 housing was very easy, ARB's go right in, the rubi locker is just a hair bigger so had to use a tiny shim

Last edited by JeepCreepn01; 08-09-2005 at 08:13 AM..
JeepCreepn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 07:58 AM   #9
NetJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket110
and there are quiet a few broken carriers in rubi's. (if you need proof, go to www.rubiconownersforum.com and then to the drivetrain section.)

i would fine a regular d44 from a TJ or something else to swap in and not use the rubi housing, but thats my opinion. do as you feel fit.
There are very few broken carriers in Rubis. There was a cluster of them in Moab with people that ran the Nth Stinger that we're still trying to nail down. You can put an ARB in a Rubi axle if you want..a friend just built two bare Rubi housings up like that...but you'll find very few Rubi owners that will switch. We have no reason to. Our rear is a gear-based LSD when unlocked. Very nice. The lockers run at only 5psi so there are fewer hose and seal problems. They are also very strong.
Unread 08-09-2005, 08:40 AM   #10
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass
Yes, but they require much lower air pressure to operate. Is this good or bad? Hence my question.
They only require 5psi, unlike the ~100 for an ARB. The Rubi rear 44 carrier is a very well engineered and build product, most of the people who have broken them are either running much larger tires or have altered the housing. The fact that when it's open it acts as a helical gear LSD is something you aren't going to find many places.
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mean Fish
...The fact that when it's open it acts as a helical gear LSD is something you aren't going to find many places.
I see no reason for a limited slip when you can be locked by pushing a button.

Personally, I would rather have a locker that is open when unlocked. An open diff is more predictable on slick roads.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 08:53 AM   #12
TJ-n-Oregon

Quote:
The fact that when it's open it acts as a helical gear LSD is something you aren't going to find many places.
How does that do in snow/ice? Personally, I prefer open/open on snow/ice. But why would you need LSD if you already have a locker? I suspose it'd be okay for wheelin' non-locked, but couldn't see any other value in having that if I already have a locker. I have ARB's, and yes...they require more pressure to lock, but it hasn't been a problem for me (yet) nor anyone else I know who run them.

'02 TJ Sport with a few mods
'95 XJ with a few mods'
TJ-n-Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 09:17 AM   #13
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
I see no reason for a limited slip when you can be locked by pushing a button.

Personally, I would rather have a locker that is open when unlocked. An open diff is more predictable on slick roads.
It's a helical gear LSD, that's like night and day compared to a clutch based LSD like the trash lock. You can't tell it's there on the highway.
Unread 08-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #14
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-n-Oregon
How does that do in snow/ice? Personally, I prefer open/open on snow/ice. But why would you need LSD if you already have a locker? I suspose it'd be okay for wheelin' non-locked, but couldn't see any other value in having that if I already have a locker. I have ARB's, and yes...they require more pressure to lock, but it hasn't been a problem for me (yet) nor anyone else I know who run them.

Well, for situations where you might want to throw down a lot of wheel speed in mud and not want to lock anything up the LSD helps and you don't have to worry about putting as much stress on anything with the axle being locked.
Unread 08-09-2005, 09:31 AM   #15
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's a helical gear LSD, that's like night and day compared to a clutch based LSD like the trash lock. You can't tell it's there on the highway.
On the highway, you couldn't even tell if a locker was there.

How does it do around corners on an icy or snowy road?

I realize helical gear limited slips are superior to a clutch based as far as durability is concerned, but they still have the same characteristics of a typical limited slip as far as slick roads are concerned.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.