APP985 or AP985 plugs for an 03' TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > APP985 or AP985 plugs for an 03' TJ?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 06-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
jmreagan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

APP985 or AP985 plugs for an 03' TJ?

The question is in the title. I'm doing a tune up and brake job this weekend on my 03' TJ. Which plugs shoud I use, the single tip platinum (AP985), or the double tip platinum (APP985)? The 03' has the coil rail pack, NOT plug wires.
Thanks

-JM

03' Sport, 4.0L, 3.73, 5 speed, D44/D30, 3 inch coil/shock lift, RE track bar, Tera disco's, 35x12.50's Dunlap Mud Rovers MT's, Spidertrax spacers, Viper 5000 alarm, Tuffy console, LOD extreme bumper/tire carrier and front bumper, A-Z rockers, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, JKS Rear UCA's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ
Sorry master, Dont whips me, I's do betta next time..
jmreagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

APP985 work best for 00-06'.They will last you 100,000 miles.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Either one is a good choice. Pick one based on your budget.
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeep View Post
Either one is a good choice. Pick one based on your budget.
No that is incorrect. With the distributorless ignition system he has the APP985 is the correct plug, better yet the XP985 plugs will last twice as long.
The AP985 plugs will work with the older ignition systems that still use a distributer cap, rotor, and wires.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeep View Post
Either one is a good choice. .
No they're not. The AP985 only has platinum on one side of the gap which with the DIS (distributorless ignition system) used on 2000 and newer 4.0L engines will eventually start causing hard to diagnose idle/misfire problems. That is because the 4.0L's DIS fires the plug every stroke and in opposite directions which will eventually cause a plug with different coatings on each side of the gap to fire differently in opposite directions. Between the AP985 and APP985, you must use only the APP985 with 2000 and newer 4.0L engines. It's with 1999 and older 4.0L engines where either can be used. The misfire/bad idle problem became so bad from people using the wrong plug technology that Jeep had to issue a TSB to address the issue. The APP985 has its platinum coating on both sides of the gap so it wears symmetrically with the DIS system's alternating spark directions.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
jmreagan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you BoogieMan, JBTJ, and Jerry. I appreciate your fast responses and for taking the time to explain why I need the APP985's...
03' Sport, 4.0L, 3.73, 5 speed, D44/D30, 3 inch coil/shock lift, RE track bar, Tera disco's, 35x12.50's Dunlap Mud Rovers MT's, Spidertrax spacers, Viper 5000 alarm, Tuffy console, LOD extreme bumper/tire carrier and front bumper, A-Z rockers, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, JKS Rear UCA's.
Quote:
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmreagan View Post
Thank you BoogieMan, JBTJ, and Jerry. I appreciate your fast responses and for taking the time to explain why I need the APP985's...
Or better yet the XP985 Iridium tip plugs.
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
jmreagan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Or better yet the XP985 Iridium tip plugs.
I might try those for my next set JB. I just ordered (6) APP985's to my favorite parts store. I know on my wife's V8 4Runner I'll only use Denso Iridium's for that particular engine. They last about 100K...
Quote:
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmreagan View Post
I might try those for my next set JB. I just ordered (6) APP985's to my favorite parts store. I know on my wife's V8 4Runner I'll only use Denso Iridium's for that particular engine. They last about 100K...
I had just over 80k on mine when I pulled them out for inspection. I could not detect any sign of wear what so ever. I'm going to wait for another 100k to inspect unless I have a reason to do sooner.
Unread 06-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

FYI Autolite has a rebate going…

http://www.autolite.com/enmx/node/1124

1.50 off APPs
2.00 off XPs

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Advance auto and Autolite both have a rebate.Save $3 on each plug for the Autolite Iridium plugs.($1 instant/$2 mail-in)
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I change more autolite crap plugs than any other kind of plug. Get the NGK or Champion douple platinum plugs. I drank the kool-aid on the autolite plugs a while back and I threw them away in short order. Misfires and lack of power and lean condition codes. I swapped in some Champion's and all the problems went away. What Jerry said about the double or single platinum is correct, I just disagree whole-heartedly on the brand. You'll end up paying a little more for the MUCH better NGK/Champion/ACDelco plugs but it's more than worth it in my opinion.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've had better luck with the Champion double plat's than with the APP's.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped
i've had better luck with the champion double plat's than with the app's.
x2
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
I change more autolite crap plugs than any other kind of plug. Get the NGK or Champion douple platinum plugs. I drank the kool-aid on the autolite plugs a while back and I threw them away in short order. Misfires and lack of power and lean condition codes. I swapped in some Champion's and all the problems went away. What Jerry said about the double or single platinum is correct, I just disagree whole-heartedly on the brand. You'll end up paying a little more for the MUCH better NGK/Champion/ACDelco plugs but it's more than worth it in my opinion.
Eight Jeeps so far with Autolites and never had a problem with any of them.You must have got the defective ones.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.