Anything besides Redline MT90 to help smooth shifting in my AX15? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anything besides Redline MT90 to help smooth shifting in my AX15?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anything besides Redline MT90 to help smooth shifting in my AX15?

Just received my second jug of MT90. First time I used it, tranny got flooded with water somehow. So I drained it and put some 10w30 in it to help flush it out. Is there anything else I should add to the MT90 to help smooth shifting? My 1st to 2nd grinds and my 2nd to 3rd catches most of the time... 160k on motor and tranny, and the clutch is fine. Just hoping this MT90 helps the synchros chill out.

1997 TJ - 4.25 lift, 4.88, D30 w/ Detroit, D44 w/ Superior'ed Detroit and 33 spline shafts, Currie track bar, Warn XD9000i, Currie Tire Carrier, full armor and tube fenders, full custom trunk, Tom Woods shafts, AA SYE, Currie control arms, and Rigid lights. BIG BLACK is my baby.
LiveAndLearn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

MT-90 is excellent stuff & my #1 choice for the AX5 and AX15, but it's no miracle treatment for a transmission. Try it, it might help, but whatever you do don't add any additives. There are no additives that would help and most would only reduce its effectiveness.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I use MT-90 and have 107k on the jeep. I have a lead foot and shift like a gorilla and its smooth as butter but when its cold outside reverse is hard to find sometimes.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

By "hard to find sometimes", do you mean Reverse sometimes grinds when you try to shift into it?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
MT-90 is excellent stuff & my #1 choice for the AX5 and AX15, but it's no miracle treatment for a transmission. Try it, it might help, but whatever you do don't add any additives. There are no additives that would help and most would only reduce its effectiveness.
Jerry, I just drained my fluid and found water in it AGAIN. The only two places it can get in is at the breather tube and the shifter boot that is directly mounted to trans, not the interior one, correct? I think my shifter boot is ripped. How do I install a new boot? It looks like this boot is in here permanently...

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
1997 TJ - 4.25 lift, 4.88, D30 w/ Detroit, D44 w/ Superior'ed Detroit and 33 spline shafts, Currie track bar, Warn XD9000i, Currie Tire Carrier, full armor and tube fenders, full custom trunk, Tom Woods shafts, AA SYE, Currie control arms, and Rigid lights. BIG BLACK is my baby.
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nah it never grinds.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveAndLearn View Post
Just received my second jug of MT90. First time I used it, tranny got flooded with water somehow. So I drained it and put some 10w30 in it to help flush it out. Is there anything else I should add to the MT90 to help smooth shifting? My 1st to 2nd grinds and my 2nd to 3rd catches most of the time... 160k on motor and tranny, and the clutch is fine. Just hoping this MT90 helps the synchros chill out.
Maybe when you went through the car wash with the top down?
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ

Maybe when you went through the car wash with the top down?
Hahaha no. I'm thinking when I was pressure washing after my last wheeling trip water got in through the ripped boot ontop of the tranny. Any idea where to get a new boot? This 10w30 I drained out of it was basically white lol

image-2494553007.jpg  
Unread 02-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveAndLearn View Post
Hahaha no. I'm thinking when I was pressure washing after my last wheeling trip water got in through the ripped boot ontop of the tranny. Any idea where to get a new boot? This 10w30 I drained out of it was basically white lol

I'm sure you already checked e-bay and even googled it, right?
Unread 02-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-tr...aisin-ax15.htm

What part is it?
Unread 02-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ
I don't see it on there

Unread 02-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

is it number 3? doesnt really look like mine...

Edit:

yeah thats not it. I found it on quadratec.
screen-shot-2013-02-25-8.27.04-pm.jpg  
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well never mind, I guess that gasket above just keeps heat out of cab. I looked down in there and it looks like the gasket that is in there is fine... Not sure how water keeps getting in my tranny...

image-3341892492.jpg   image-3042369262.jpg   image-1351976412.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.