Anyone tried the Golen Engine Svc. 4.6l crate? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone tried the Golen Engine Svc. 4.6l crate?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
ajrothm
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone tried the Golen Engine Svc. 4.6l crate?

http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/jeep.html

Looks like a pretty decent deal for $3500.....WAY cheaper then Hesco and these guys have a GREAT reputation in the car world..... They also have a $2999 4.0l that makes 230hp....Looks like they add some nice parts to even the base motor.

I am not in need of an engine but I came across it and thought it was worth posting....especially after looking at Hesco's joke of a website and completely assinine prices.....

Just a heads up for those of you needing a rebuild.

ajrothm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

PM GOLENJEEP. He runs a Golen stroker. The stroker thing has been covered here more than once, do a search and you'll find lots of info.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
ajrothm
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Article for JP mag...

http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/jp_mag.html
Unread 06-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
ajrothm
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Damn, not much interest in crate motors around here I guess.
Unread 06-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

They make excellent engines.Just be ready for the extras you will need, and the shipping costs.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
ajrothm
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
They make excellent engines.Just be ready for the extras you will need, and the shipping costs.

I assumed it would need a header, injectors, fuel pump, 62mm TB and cold air....what I am concerned with is tuning it.....AS in, what all is involved with tuning the ECU? can it just be reflashed by a local Chrysler tuner and still remain smog legal?

How is the power?
Unread 06-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You will need all of the above other than fuel pump.As far as having re-flashed I have not.It has passed smog twice with no problems, other than the stock TB has to be reinstalled for smog to pass.If I decided to supercharge, than I would look into a split second piggyback or a RippMods complete kit.As far as power goes... I have a ton more than a stock 4.0 that has had all the external mods done too it.It definitely has the power and torque.A RippMods supercharger would be a fun addition.
Unread 06-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
Bubba3200
2002 WJ 

Ajrothm,

Hesco's joke of a websight........high prices etc...I find it interesting that the golden engine websight tells you to call Benny at Hesco to find out which high preformance parts will work with "their" motors. Even golden engine service "RESPECTS" Hesco enough to let them handle that aspect of their engine service..........and that my friend dosent come cheap! If you want it done right....do it yourself or call Benny
Bubba3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
trotter8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba3200 View Post
Ajrothm,

Hesco's joke of a websight........high prices etc...I find it interesting that the golden engine websight tells you to call Benny at Hesco to find out which high preformance parts will work with "their" motors. Even golden engine service "RESPECTS" Hesco enough to let them handle that aspect of their engine service..........and that my friend dosent come cheap! If you want it done right....do it yourself or call Benny
I agree that Hesco has the industry respect, but their website is terrible. You aren't going to get any good information unless you call them.
Unread 06-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter8 View Post
I agree that Hesco has the industry respect, but their website is terrible. You aren't going to get any good information unless you call them.
First off let's get it right.It's Golen Engines.Lee,Benny and Chad Golen have excellent respect for one another. And yes Hesco's website sucks!

Last edited by GOLENJEEPTJ; 06-05-2009 at 05:37 PM..
Unread 06-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #11
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

lol all he said was they are overpriced and have an awful website...no more, no less. Calm down bud.

I'd love a Golen Stroker

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
ajrothm
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know nothing about Hesco, apparently they are a big deal in the Jeep world but.... Looking at the specs on their engines, its nothing spectacular....basically a bone stock rebuild with a crank. Nothing out of the ordinary on the machine work either....Thats for $5k.....Its basically a $1500 stock rebuild with a 258 crank and rods. The Golen states to have been fully balanced, resized rods with good bolts, Hyperutectic pistons, bored with a torque plate, Zero decked block, 3 angle valve job and light pocket porting along with machining the head for bigger springs, a custom cam and new lifters.....All that for $3500..... I would be willing to bet the Golen engine makes considerably more power and much more bulletproof.
Unread 06-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #13
ajrothm
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
You will need all of the above other than fuel pump.As far as having re-flashed I have not.It has passed smog twice with no problems, other than the stock TB has to be reinstalled for smog to pass.If I decided to supercharge, than I would look into a split second piggyback or a RippMods complete kit.As far as power goes... I have a ton more than a stock 4.0 that has had all the external mods done too it.It definitely has the power and torque.A RippMods supercharger would be a fun addition.

So basically just putting the bigger injectors in it without further tuning gets it running well enough to make good power and pass a smog test? I would have thought for sure that with a cam, it would need a lot of part throttle tuning. Pretty interesting stuff though. 120rwhp stock sucks.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.