Anyone ran SEAFOAM in their tj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone ran SEAFOAM in their tj

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
jeepsteve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone ran SEAFOAM in their tj

anyone here ran SEAFOAM through their engine? did it restore any power? notice any differences at all?

i was thinking of running a treatment of this stuff and have heard some good things , but want a little more jeep related feedback

2000 TJ Sport 30/35 3:07gearing. 31 bfg allterrains
cobra cb. otherwise pretty stock for now .....

upgrades planned this year... spacer lift, shocks and new rock sliders
jeepsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
azcoyote

Anyone search any more?

Just search SEAFOAM....
Unread 02-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
ptowntj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I don't really have enough miles on mine to run it through...in my opinion...But I ran it through my ranger with 140k on the ticker with no proir treatments and it smoked like crazy...I put it in the fuel,crankcase, and through the intake... It wasn't night and day, but I gained about 16 more miles per tank, like it used to be, and also no more ticking on startup (from putting it in the crankcase). I don't think its a cure, but I think it helps a tired engine out.
Unread 02-14-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Seafoam is nothing more than a fad here in JF in my personal opinion. To me, it does nothing special that other less expensive products don't do as well or better. Our fuel injectors rarely need any additional cleaners not already in virtually all gasolines now, and it's not as good as cleaning the throttle body as something made specifically for that purpose is. And for cleaning carbon deposits out of the combustion chambers, you can't beat 12-16 oz. of plain water carefully and slowly trickled into the TB intake with the engine running.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
bdhaley

It works well IMO. I have used it in everything from my jeeps, tractors and my bass boat. You shoulda seen how well it cleaned up the big ole outboard on my bass-boat. I took out one of the spark plugs and the plug was gunked up bad with carbon and other nasty stuff and then I shined the flash light into the cylinder and it looked the same way. I took 2 16oz cans of the sea foam and mixed it with 2 gallons of gas. I drove the boat around on the lake until all of the two gallons were gone. I then pulled the spark plug out and it looked brand new and so did the cylinders too. I love this stuff! There very well may be stuff that works as well and is cheaper but sea foam works great and doesn't break my bank account.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]1998 TJ, 4 banger, 5 speed, Rusty's 2" lift, 31" BFG At KO's, AR 15x8 [URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/harley72/MY%20TJ/TJafter.jpg"][COLOR="DarkRed"]My TJ[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]
[SIZE="4"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="blue"][URL="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/harley72/Liberty/Liberty.jpg"][COLOR="blue"]HER KJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2003 KJ Sport 4x4[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE]
bdhaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
Agent86
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I tried it. The only thing I was impressed with was the amount of white smoke! I also busted my gut laughing when my wife and kids came out of the house freaked out wondering what was wrong with my Jeep! It was priceless!

I found that running super unleaded about once every four tanks does more for my performance, or if you're in a hurry, about 3 or four consecutive tanks worth of high octane super.

From my experience, Seafoam gets a

Keep in mind, I only have 57K on my Jeep...
2" RE BB, A to Z Rockers and Warn Engine Skid.

Black Jeep Club V 2.0 Member #80

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."
-Errol Flynn
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86
I found that running super unleaded about once every four tanks does more for my performance, or if you're in a hurry, about 3 or four consecutive tanks worth of high octane super.
From my experience, Seafoam gets a

Keep in mind, I only have 57K on my Jeep...
what in the world would super unleaded do for performance? please explain.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And just exactly what do you think that higher level of octane is doing for you?

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 02-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Seafoam is nothing more than a fad here in JF in my personal opinion. To me, it does nothing special that other less expensive products don't do as well or better. Our fuel injectors rarely need any additional cleaners not already in virtually all gasolines now, and it's not as good as cleaning the throttle body as something made specifically for that purpose is. And for cleaning carbon deposits out of the combustion chambers, you can't beat 12-16 oz. of plain water carefully and slowly trickled into the TB intake with the engine running.
I'm glad you said that "fad" thing. I've been thinking that every time I see somebody make a post about that stuff and all the miracles it allegedly performs.

You are 100% correct about gasoling having all the injector cleaners that is needed.

Yep, the water misting trick has a hotrodder trick for years. It basically steam cleans the top end. It works great.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
Agent86
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm no chemist, so the octane may be doing nothing. All I know is the better gas makes my Jeep run better.

Can't explain it...obviously

-Errol Flynn
Unread 02-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #11
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Yep, the water misting trick has a hotrodder trick for years. It basically steam cleans the top end. It works great.
we just pulled apart a v-6 with a blown head gasket on one side. cylinder and pistons were clean as could be!

Hoss

Unread 02-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm no chemist, so the octane may be doing nothing. All I know is the better gas makes my Jeep run better.

higher octane doesn't make gas 'better', it makes it less resitant to pre-detonation, which isn't an issue with a properly tuned motor with normal compression.

it does make it cost more though...

Hoss

Unread 02-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #13
Agent86
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonhoss71
higher octane doesn't make gas 'better', it makes it less resitant to pre-detonation, which isn't an issue with a properly tuned motor with normal compression.

it does make it cost more though...

Hoss

THAT's what it is! Because it costs more, I think it's better for my Jeep! Why did I think of that.

My kids have used that philosophy for years!

-Errol Flynn
Unread 02-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

There is no reason it should make it run better, other than perhaps a placebo effect.

On the contrary, higher octane fuels are harder to ignite than lower octane fuels which means they won't always combust completely in an engine not set up to run that higher octane. The higher the engine's compression, the more octane that is needed to prevent premature combustion. Adding more octane than is needed to prevent premature combustion (pinging/knock) serves no purpose. High octane fuel can actually cause deposits to be left behind in an engine designed for a lower octane.

All octane does is help the fuel resist premature detonation caused by compression within the combustion chamber. That is all octane does, nothing more. A gallon of 87 octane fuel has precisely the same exact energy content that a gallon of 91 octane does.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Unread 02-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #15
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
THAT's what it is! Because it costs more, I think it's better for my Jeep! Why did I think of that.

My kids have used that philosophy for years!
and to think, I thought that philosophy was reserved for spouses...

Hoss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads
  • seafoam! - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (0 replies)
  • seafoam? - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (4 replies)
  • Seafoam - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (24 replies)
  • Seafoam ????'s - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (5 replies)
  • seafoam - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (15 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.