Anyone know where I can find a 8AWG fusible link? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone know where I can find a 8AWG fusible link?

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 04-01-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone know where I can find a 8AWG fusible link?

I can't find a supplier for a 8AWG fusible link for my alternator wire. I've found a few that sell reels but no one that sells a 9"-12" piece separately at a reasonable price. Anyone have a link ?

D0T-C0M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Showjyr

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Everything I see is 10 gauge or higher...factory is 10 gauge fwiw
Showjyr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:24 AM   #3
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yes I know stock is 10awg but I upgraded to a 160 amp alternator and I want to upgrade the wiring as well. A 160 amp alternator needs a 8AWG.

Thanks for replying
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.awcwire.com/part.aspx?partname=j156-awg8

http://www.whiteproducts.com/fusible-repair.shtml

http://catalog.gemsupply.net/storefr...nals-P-1143831
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

A 50' reel is $75 so I'm finding it quite a markup to sell a 9" piece for $30-$35. The first link only sells 25' lengths. The second link is $30 but they want $20 for shipping which is ridiculous. I haven't checked the 3rd link, I'll shoot them off an email and see what kind of shipping they want. Thanks for the links
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0T-C0M View Post
A 50' reel is $75 so I'm finding it quite a markup to sell a 9" piece for $30-$35. The first link only sells 25' lengths. The second link is $30 but they want $20 for shipping which is ridiculous. I haven't checked the 3rd link, I'll shoot them off an email and see what kind of shipping they want. Thanks for the links
Keep searching. That took me 2 minutes to find. There must be more places.

Good Luck.
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have been searching the net for that last week LOL, a 8AWG fusible link is like finding a 4 leaf clover. Must be rare but many vehicles use them, its weird.
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have been searching the net for that last week LOL, a 8AWG fusible link is like finding a 4 leaf clover. Must be rare but many vehicles use them, its weird.
It may come down to how much are you willing to pay to have it. I'd try calling those links and see if they just a foot of it. If they have spools, they may have inches and not put it out there for people to know.
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A fusable link is nothing special and it isn't actually a fuse, it is typically nothing more than a piece of wire that is sized four gauges smaller the wire it is protecting. It has an extra protective sheath over it for when it melts but that's about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusible_link

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can't find a supplier for a 8AWG fusible link for my alternator wire. I've found a few that sell reels but no one that sells a 9"-12" piece separately at a reasonable price. Anyone have a link ?
Everything I am finding says you should be using a 12AWG fusible link for an 8AWG charge wire from the alternator.

Try figuring out what size you need first and then see if it's available.
Unread 04-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
BorderTJ

Stereo shops?
BorderTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #12
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input guys,

Mr. Blaine I've done the research here and here. I started this thread just to find a cheaper supplier of these 8 AWG fusible links.

Just FYI, For a 160 amp alternator swap all the wires you require a #4 AWG wire from the alternator to the battery and also the negative wires of the battery and a #8 AWG fusible link on the wire going to the alternator. I'd rather go to the junk yard and get a complete harness but here in Eastern Canada we are getting pommeled with snow storm after snow storm and all the junk yards are under 5'-6' snow. I was thinking if I can get a fusible link I'd make my own wires but if its going to cost so much for the fusible link I might have to wait till the snow melts

Jerry your right a fusible link is just a wire but the insulation is special so it doesn't burn and stays intact when the conductor melts under fault.

Unread 04-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #13
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why not just use a regular fuse? The only reason OEMs use fusible links is sometimes they are cheaper to implement. Just pick up a cheap ANL fuse holder (audio supply store) and mount it somewhere near the alternator.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #14
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well I want to go with fusible link for a number of reasons, a fuse over time when exposed to high loads can become fatigued and fail. Another reason is what is the size of a fuse that you would need that would protect my battery? I work in the electrical field and its quite a calculation to properly coordinate fuse timing and at what fault level. It isn't 160 or 170 or even 200 for sure because if you put a 170 amp fuse and your running at 160a the fuse won't blow but you'll get a voltage drop across the fuse which is problematic. A fusible link is designed to sustain an overload for a period of time, it acts like a time delay, whereas a fuse will act too fast and cause false trips. A large 250a fuse is $40 here in Canada. For all those reasons I don't want to use a fuse.
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think you are overthinking this, most new cars use standard fuses and not fusible links, but do whatever makes you happy.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.