Anyone know what this is? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone know what this is?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
NumbSkull
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Anyone know what this is?

Not sure what this is. Its in a 2005 LJ that I picked up about two weeks ago. I've asked a few others, and we can't seem to figure out what it is.

Its mounted just under the dash to the right of the steering wheel... would be just above where your gas peddle leg goes. I've tried tracking the cables back, but I'm a bigger boy, and cant get under the dash well enough to see where they go.

Its about an 1.5" wide, and about .75" tall.

20140823_171947.jpg   20140823_171955.jpg   20140823_172014.jpg  
NumbSkull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Vic99TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Used car dealer tracker??

Sent from my 03 Rubi!!!
Vic99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
NumbSkull
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I guess that's possible... but it wasn't a "buy here pay here" dealer, and I would think they would have hidden it if that was the case. This is pretty clearly in view.
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

it looks like that thing that prevents it from starting unless you wave the other part by it.sometimes you must plug something in there to make it start.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
uniqueuser97
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It could be an ignition kill "key" of some sort like a fancier version of a toggle switch. The inner part may be "plugged" into the outer shell. Are you able to pull the inner part out and then try to start the Jeep?
uniqueuser97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
pielet97
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had the same thing on my 06 LJ. It's a kill switch.
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #7
NumbSkull
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don't have to wave anything past it to start the jeep.

If its a kill, how does it function? I understand how a kill switch works, but this doesn't have any moving parts. The front doesn't press or pull out.

I'm not using a factory key. The key I use is a simple key I had made at Walmart for a few bucks. No dongles or key fobs.
Unread 08-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
NumbSkull
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So.. I took the lower dash panel off this morning, and yes, it does appear to be a kill switch, but I'm still confused on how it works as one. I don't see any moving parts or switch levers. The front does look to have an inset of some sort, but I cant see any way of removing it, and I don't have anything special that I need to do to start the jeep. I'm even using generic copied keys from Walmart (non chipped or fobbed). No special keychains or anything like that..

Anyone have any ideas on how the switch portion of it functions?
Unread 08-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbSkull View Post
So.. I took the lower dash panel off this morning, and yes, it does appear to be a kill switch, but I'm still confused on how it works as one. I don't see any moving parts or switch levers. The front does look to have an inset of some sort, but I cant see any way of removing it, and I don't have anything special that I need to do to start the jeep. I'm even using generic copied keys from Walmart (non chipped or fobbed). No special keychains or anything like that..

Anyone have any ideas on how the switch portion of it functions?
IIRC I've seen some setups where the switch is magnetic. I think those setups default to dead though and have to be triggered to start. Sounds like yours is live now so has to be a way to switch it off and on.
Unread 08-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
goldswim5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Not sure if it's related, but as far as I know all 05 LJ's came with chipped keys, so trying to start one with a non chip key would cause it to start then quickly die. If yours starts and runs fine with a non-chipped key then it must have a chip somewhere near the ignition, or have been modified to not need it.
Unread 08-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #11
Spyder05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldswim5 View Post
Not sure if it's related, but as far as I know all 05 LJ's came with chipped keys, so trying to start one with a non chip key would cause it to start then quickly die. If yours starts and runs fine with a non-chipped key then it must have a chip somewhere near the ignition, or have been modified to not need it.
My 05 does not have a chipped key.
07 SRT 8 grand
Spyder05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
pielet97
2006 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/na...system-846158/

I forgot I posted this.
Unread 08-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #13
NumbSkull
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Everyone!! And thanks for the link pielet!

I think that may be what this is. I have a similar wiring situation behind it. Two wires go to ground, and two are wired into my ignition wires, looks like they cut one of the wires from my ignition, and spliced this "device" into it. I think I might clip the wires and repair the splice they made and see what happens.
Unread 08-24-2014, 11:07 PM   #14
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbSkull View Post
Thanks Everyone!! And thanks for the link pielet!

I think that may be what this is. I have a similar wiring situation behind it. Two wires go to ground, and two are wired into my ignition wires, looks like they cut one of the wires from my ignition, and spliced this "device" into it. I think I might clip the wires and repair the splice they made and see what happens.
I had something similar on mine when I got it too. Looked a little different but was spliced into the ignition switch too. I cut it all out and reconnected the wires as they are factory.

Always fun figuring out PO's wiring..

11 Ram 2500 - H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
phrankenstein
2004 LJ Wrangler 

It looks exactly like the payment reminder devices we used to install for small used car dealerships. If a payment isn't made in person at the dealership on a monthly basis, the device locks out the operation of the starter via a relay. The only way to get the vehicle to start once again is to bring it to the dealership, make the payment, and they would unlock the device. These are for at risk customers with questionable credit and payment history. It can be removed easily. Just make sure to properly re splice the starter lead by soldering with the proper size wire (if ir is needed and they didn't hack it up). They usually tap the 12 VDC constant and 12 VDC ignition/accessory leads along with a chassis ground.
phrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.