Anyone kno nething about the 4 speed auto? What year start useing? bolt into 3 speed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone kno nething about the 4 speed auto? What year start useing? bolt into 3 speed?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 06-18-2004, 02:50 PM   #1
jeepcj7

Anyone kno nething about the 4 speed auto? What year start useing? bolt into 3 speed?

I was just wondering if anyone knows what year they started using the 4 speed transmission in a TJ, and does it have overdrive? Whats the final drive? AND MOST important will it bolt right up to my 1997 sahara 3 speed auto? What is the tranny modle number, and what other vehicles used the same trans? THANX IN ADVANCE....PLEASE advise.

Unread 06-18-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
BaaBaa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj7
I was just wondering if anyone knows what year they started using the 4 speed transmission in a TJ, and does it have overdrive? Whats the final drive? AND MOST important will it bolt right up to my 1997 sahara 3 speed auto? What is the tranny modle number, and what other vehicles used the same trans? THANX IN ADVANCE....PLEASE advise.
I had my tranny rebuilt last week... asked some of the same questions to the mechanic and got these responses:

In early 90's, Jeeps with 3-spd auto had a bolt-on kit available that put in an overdrive gear. The guy could not find whether this was still available, and believed he "might have heard" that it was never a very good solution. He explained that the 4 speed Jeep's now come with is really a 3-spd overdrive (I'm not sure exactly what that means.)

Sorry this isn't more helpful... I had trouble getting much info in the forum about the auto tranny's, so I hope you have better luck!

Black 2000 TJ Sport
[B]Black Jeep Club Version 2.0 Member #66[/B]
BaaBaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2004, 03:17 PM   #3
n4phth4

Hmm. I am staring at the TJ 2004 service manual, page 21-73.

The 4spd tranny is the 42RLE. Dunno what year DC started using it, or whether it will bolt right into your ride. Yes, it has overdrive. The ratios are:

1st - 2.84:1
2nd - 1.57:1
3rd - 1:1
overdrive: 0.69:1
reverse: 2.21:1
n4phth4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2004, 04:38 PM   #4
blupupher

Started in 2003, would probably bolt up, but you need a computer to control it.
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2004, 09:11 AM   #5
jeepcj7

thanx for the help, any one know the price of one of these "42RLE"
Unread 06-23-2004, 09:13 AM   #6
jeepcj7

also neone kno about the "bolt on overdrive", or hear on it
Unread 06-23-2004, 09:33 AM   #7
n4phth4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj7
thanx for the help, any one know the price of one of these "42RLE"
Ask your favorite 4x4 shop representative, or your favorite dealer.

Hmmm.. a quick google reveals this on allpar.com about the 42RLE:

"The transmission used in the Jeep Liberty and six-cylinder LX cars. It is essentially the four-speed car/minivan transmission known in earlier years as the A-604, adapted for rear wheel drive use."

You should try out google. I'm sure you will find the answers to your questions. ;-)
n4phth4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.