Anyone kno nething about the 4 speed auto? What year start useing? bolt into 3 speed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone kno nething about the 4 speed auto? What year start useing? bolt into 3 speed?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-18-2004, 01:50 PM   #1
jeepcj7

Anyone kno nething about the 4 speed auto? What year start useing? bolt into 3 speed?

I was just wondering if anyone knows what year they started using the 4 speed transmission in a TJ, and does it have overdrive? Whats the final drive? AND MOST important will it bolt right up to my 1997 sahara 3 speed auto? What is the tranny modle number, and what other vehicles used the same trans? THANX IN ADVANCE....PLEASE advise.

Unread 06-18-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
BaaBaa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj7
I was just wondering if anyone knows what year they started using the 4 speed transmission in a TJ, and does it have overdrive? Whats the final drive? AND MOST important will it bolt right up to my 1997 sahara 3 speed auto? What is the tranny modle number, and what other vehicles used the same trans? THANX IN ADVANCE....PLEASE advise.
I had my tranny rebuilt last week... asked some of the same questions to the mechanic and got these responses:

In early 90's, Jeeps with 3-spd auto had a bolt-on kit available that put in an overdrive gear. The guy could not find whether this was still available, and believed he "might have heard" that it was never a very good solution. He explained that the 4 speed Jeep's now come with is really a 3-spd overdrive (I'm not sure exactly what that means.)

Sorry this isn't more helpful... I had trouble getting much info in the forum about the auto tranny's, so I hope you have better luck!

Black 2000 TJ Sport
[B]Black Jeep Club Version 2.0 Member #66[/B]
BaaBaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2004, 02:17 PM   #3
n4phth4

Hmm. I am staring at the TJ 2004 service manual, page 21-73.

The 4spd tranny is the 42RLE. Dunno what year DC started using it, or whether it will bolt right into your ride. Yes, it has overdrive. The ratios are:

1st - 2.84:1
2nd - 1.57:1
3rd - 1:1
overdrive: 0.69:1
reverse: 2.21:1
n4phth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2004, 03:38 PM   #4
blupupher

Started in 2003, would probably bolt up, but you need a computer to control it.
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2004, 08:11 AM   #5
jeepcj7

thanx for the help, any one know the price of one of these "42RLE"
Unread 06-23-2004, 08:13 AM   #6
jeepcj7

also neone kno about the "bolt on overdrive", or hear on it
Unread 06-23-2004, 08:33 AM   #7
n4phth4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj7
thanx for the help, any one know the price of one of these "42RLE"
Ask your favorite 4x4 shop representative, or your favorite dealer.

Hmmm.. a quick google reveals this on allpar.com about the 42RLE:

"The transmission used in the Jeep Liberty and six-cylinder LX cars. It is essentially the four-speed car/minivan transmission known in earlier years as the A-604, adapted for rear wheel drive use."

You should try out google. I'm sure you will find the answers to your questions. ;-)
n4phth4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.