Anyone installed the smittybilt SRC side armor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone installed the smittybilt SRC side armor

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
bmpregler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Anyone installed the smittybilt SRC side armor

This is my first jeep and first time installing something like this. When I try to fit it up it seems that there is a lot of the "tubes" sweeping quite far under the jeep. Is this normal? Anyone have any installation tips?

Thanks

BP

bmpregler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
OzarkOutdoors
2008 JK Wrangler 

smittybilt SRC side armor

Did you mean the rock sliders? If so then yes....but i'm not sure what you mean by tubes sweeping under the jeep.

2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited-Current Vehicle
325/70/17 Falken Wild Peak AT XD Addicts
2.5 inch BB, 1.25 RC Body Lift, Dual Top
s
OzarkOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Yellowhammer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

bmp -

I'm about to email you the pics of mine so you can see where they are.
Yellowhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
bmpregler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Figured it out tonight during a trial fit. The good folks at Smitty mislabeled the driver/passenger stickers.

Special thanks for Fishfox for his extra help and pictures.
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
Yellowhammer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpregler View Post
Figured it out tonight during a trial fit. The good folks at Smitty mislabeled the driver/passenger stickers.
Ha! That would explain a lot right there!

Good luck with the install tomorrow. I love mine.
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
Yellowhammer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

bmp -

Did you read my review of the side armor in the "Reviews" section? Anyway, if you didn't I have some install tips:

1. A buddy is REEEEAAALLLLYYYY handy for this one.

2. Jackstands, a buddy, and clamps are helpful in getting the armor positioned on the frame like you want it. I've got mine about half an inch from my tub. I wanted it as close as possible to not lose any more clearance than necessary. When you get it where you want it, use a white paint marker to mark all of the holes for drilling.

3. Use a punch to mark your drilling spot, then start with drilling a small pilot hole, go up a few bit sizes and drill the hole out again, and finally drill the last hole whatever size bit it says to use.

4. I used a Snap-On battery-powered impact for putting the bolts in and it worked great. Use some kind of impact or air wrench if you have one, just don't break the bolts off.

Hope this helps.
Unread 05-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
Deezul
2004 TJ Wrangler 

they are a ***** to install but can take a beating
2004 Khaki Rubicon. Jeeperman Custom Brushguard and 54" bumper, Kilby steering skid, Skidrow radiator skid, SRC Rockcrawler rocker guards, UFW Al Engine Skid, OME Shocks, JKS Quicker Discos, AEM Dryflo intake;KC Slimlight 130W Long range lights, ORO LiteDots and LitePlate, Banks Stainless Monster cat-back, Eclipse stereo, BA Speakers, Jeeperman Handles, Cobra CB, interior leds... more to come.

**R.I.P NOW TOTALED** 98TJ Sport, 30x9.5 BFG ATKO's on AR Outlaw II's, K&N FIPK, Borla Catback,
Green jeep club member #139
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
bmpregler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got the SRCs installed today. It took 2.5 men 1.5 hours. The .5 is the brother in law. Great guy but he is more capable as come here and hold this help. But help is help and he is a great guy. Anywho, The install was pretty straightforward no issues at all and they look great.

BP

Last edited by bmpregler; 05-08-2010 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Keyboard Interface

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.