Anyone installed an ARB with 5.38 gearing in a Rubicon d44? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone installed an ARB with 5.38 gearing in a Rubicon d44?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Anyone installed an ARB with 5.38 gearing in a Rubicon d44?

Just like the title says, I'm looking for some with first hand experience. I have read that it is possible to replace the factory locker with an ARB and that would allow me to use 5.38 gears.

I have a 2005 Unlimited Rubicon and I am currently running the factory lockers with 4.88's. I have the 42rle transmission with 35 inch tires. Between living at this elevation, having heavy armor and having to go up and down hills, I must keep the overdrive off unless I'm going over 50 mph.

My plan is to replace the front factory locker, 4.88's and shafts with an ARB, 5.38's and RCV's. In the rear I will replace the factory locker, 4.88's and shafts with an ARB, 5.38's and a 35 spine shafts.

Has anyone done this yet?

2005 Unlimited Rubicon, Sahara Edition #556, Colorado Jeep Club Member #556
Rusty, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my $249 refund from 06/2010. Pm me for my address to send the check. Thanks!
UnlimitedMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt View Post
Just like the title says, I'm looking for some with first hand experience. I have read that it is possible to replace the factory locker with an ARB and that would allow me to use 5.38 gears.

I have a 2005 Unlimited Rubicon and I am currently running the factory lockers with 4.88's. I have the 42rle transmission with 35 inch tires. Between living at this elevation, having heavy armor and having to go up and down hills, I must keep the overdrive off unless I'm going over 50 mph.

My plan is to replace the front factory locker, 4.88's and shafts with an ARB, 5.38's and RCV's. In the rear I will replace the factory locker, 4.88's and shafts with an ARB, 5.38's and a 35 spine shafts.

Has anyone done this yet?
I can't assist with your question but just curious if you are going to be installing all of the parts yourself? If I were in your position of spending that much money im pretty sure I'd sell my current rubicon axles that will get you a pretty penny and buy g2s or something comparable so that you have a new set of axles.. the appropriate gear ratio... the lockers you want etc and you can probably get them to leave out the front shafts so you can go to rcvs. This way you can spend about the same money after you sell your current axles as buying new lockers, gears, and shafts for old axles with wheeling and miles on them. Just something to look at...
Ljcrawler05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
cjheap
1985 CJ7 

I would probably drop in a v8 instead.
cjheap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Af9262
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are those gears going to fit?
Af9262 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes people have done this. There are other rubicon specific forums where all the pertinent info you need about doing this is available.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I bet you will still be using the OD off switch from time to time. I have 5.13s in my TJ and run either 33" or 35" tires depending on how far I'm driving and the conditions of the road. I know it's not exactly what you are going to be running but the gearing is both higher and lower relative to what you want. I still end up using the OD off switch with both sets of tires. The large gap between 3rd and 4th combined with the TCM shifting into 4th very early makes the use of the OD switch needed.
rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
cjheap
1985 CJ7 

You can install 5:13s on the stock lockers. You will see little going to 5:38 from there.

You can only do so much with gears. Take the ARB money and put it towards a supercharger or a v8 swap which will address your lack of power at altitude.
cjheap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
MWV247
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You guys here are retarded. Recommending a V8 swap -really. G2 axles Bwa ha ha. This site is becoming a joke.
MWV247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The site is becoming a joke...says the guy who joined last year
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWV247 View Post
You guys here are retarded. Recommending a V8 swap -really. G2 axles Bwa ha ha. This site is becoming a joke.
Didn't say I knew a whole lot about the subject... but I do know how the prices of parts and labor add up because I have a Rubicon myself and have looked into it. Since my argument was based around price and the fact that he is content with dana 44s front and rear.. why am I going to suggest the idea that he needs currie dana 60s front and rear. If g2 is not the brand axle you want use something else.. I believe dynatrac is suppose to be good but like I said I havent personally done numerous expensive axle swaps to test the brands. I was simply making a suggestion that if you are going to pour tons of money into old axle housings and replace everything else why not just sell your current setup with 4.88 gears that people would pay extra for and get a nice set of new axles for virtually the price of just the original parts you were going to buy anyways plus some jeep downtime (depending on your financial situation). Idk maybe it was a stupid suggestion but it is an option if you are going to replace all of that at the same time... anyways good luck with your decision!
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellin View Post
The site is becoming a joke...says the guy who joined last year
Well, I've been here longer than a year and I tend to agree with him as to this thread at least.
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljcrawler05 View Post
Didn't say I knew a whole lot about the subject... but I do know how the prices of parts and labor add up because I have a Rubicon myself and have looked into it. Since my argument was based around price and the fact that he is content with dana 44s front and rear.. why am I going to suggest the idea that he needs currie dana 60s front and rear. If g2 is not the brand axle you want use something else.. I believe dynatrac is suppose to be good but like I said I havent personally done numerous expensive axle swaps to test the brands. I was simply making a suggestion that if you are going to pour tons of money into old axle housings and replace everything else why not just sell your current setup with 4.88 gears that people would pay extra for and get a nice set of new axles for virtually the price of just the original parts you were going to buy anyways plus some jeep downtime (depending on your financial situation). Idk maybe it was a stupid suggestion but it is an option if you are going to replace all of that at the same time... anyways good luck with your decision!
Your suggestion of considering new axles was a decent one. G2 as the brand is where I'd say things broke down.
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post

Your suggestion of considering new axles was a decent one. G2 as the brand is where I'd say things broke down.
Duly noted...
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Well, I've been here longer than a year and I tend to agree with him as to this thread at least.
I'm not disagreeing with him about whether or not he feels JF has gone down hill. I'm just saying he has no scope to make such a broad sweeping comment

It would be like a guy taking one bite out of a granny smith apple and saying "all apples suck!"
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
MWV247
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ive been a member for longer than a Year. More like 7 years. My previous user name was Sail78385 but I had some weirdo harassing me over parts I wouldn't sell to him for an unreasonable amount so I had my name changed. Lets do some basic math here guys and say that doing the ARB and 5:38s is a great upgrade. He obviously has the stock lockers and thick cut gears. Changing to a different carrier would give him an advantage there for gears and a great locker to boot.

Dana 60s for 35"s -not necessary

Dyantrac new rear axle is at least 4K -an used rubicon rear axle is worth $1500. This is a garbage suggestion. and lets not enen bring up how much a front axle costs. I guess you could buy the loaded pro rock housing but then again your at a loss with the old housing with no outers or shafts.

like I said garbage especially when he needs a more streetable rig
MWV247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.